Arriving in Guerneville

Guerneville Travel Blog

Our 8 person group meandered up to Sonoma County from the SF-area airports in three different vehicles -- my personal car, a rental, and an airport shuttle bus. I picked up my two cousins at Oakland. One came in from Las Vegas, the other from Nashville. We piled into our Ford Focus wagon, and headed northward, struggling through stop and go traffic, chatting and catching up, and finally beginning to cruise through forested lands on CA Hwy 116. Arriving at our rental house in Guerneville was a relief and a joy, especially given the rest of the gang was there awaiting us. Our house, which we located online, was of a beautiful modern design right on the slow-flowing Russian River. Kayaks and canoes were moored at the water's edge, down a spiral staircase and a set of steps that led to the river.

The big challenge: it was HOT! We had arrived in the middle of a big heat wave. The homes around these parts aren't equipped with air conditioning, typically, as it's usually not necessary in this mediterranean climate. But today, temperatures had soared to 92 and above, and all the fans in the place hadn't made a big difference. So we trudged off to town for dinner, hoping (and eventually succeeding) to find one that was relatively cool -- the River Inn Grill.