A Week in Jamaica

Negril Travel Blog

First ever caught on film! Casey in a two piece.

I decided to post this week altogether as there wasn’t much to add during this time. I know, I know, we were in Jamaica; surely there are things to talk about. However, for the most part we slept, went to the beach and ate. We stayed at Couples Swept Away, which I think I have already said. It was nice, the beach was awesome, the food was good, service was okay, the room needed updating. They also had a sports complex. It was really nice, except their workout room is open air, not air conditioned. It needs to be air conditioned. I talked to one of the staff and he said that “people” like it open so that they can sweat. I have never worked out in air conditioning and not been able to sweat. If you don’t sweat, you aren’t working hard enough! Get air conditioning for the rest of us!

We also took tennis lessons everyday, they were included with our stay.

Perfect Color Seperation
Our instructor was Paul from New York.  They try to have a new visiting instructor every week. We learned a lot. They also had visiting aerobic instructors. I took the step class which was pretty good. I also took the “body pumping” class. It was okay, but with that name I assumed that it was like Gold’s “body pump” class. There were nothing alike.  The juice bar there is wonderful, all the stuff is good. However, I felt like I was always bothering them when I asked for something. I also asked for a bottle of water before 9, when they open, and even though there were 3 people there getting ready to open at 8:54, they wouldn’t reach in the frig and get me one. This made me a little crabby. Yes, they open at 9, but I wasn’t asking for a mixed drink!

As I said the beach was awesome, clear blue water.

Andy in Water
It was great. Warm and soft sand. I did step on an eel while coming back to shore. I think that poor thing was on it’s last leg (yes before I stepped on it!). I didn’t know that was what it was. I thought it was sea weed. Fish would swim around in the shallow part too. As it was so clear, they were easy to see. The beach chairs and floats for plentiful, which has been a problem in past places that we have been. They could have used more huts though. They have beach bar service. It was very nice as well.

Restaurants were good, but I would have liked a better selection, and a buffet every night. Sometimes I just want to get it myself. The fancy restaurants were not that great. The snack bar was also kinda gross.

The pools were okay, but no one used them.

My Crab Buddy
There would be a few people in here or there, but nothing like at the other resorts I have been too. I guess the beach was too nice! They did have a pool bar. If people were in the water at the pool, it was usually at the pool bar.

Night entertainment was almost non-existent. They had a casino night, which was good. They had some bands, a piano player, and a “nightclub”, but they weren’t very exciting. The entertainment staff was nice, we say “Shades” a couple of times, and Natasha was really cool, but they really weren’t as active as they were at other resorts. Good news is that they didn’t pressure you to do anything, bad news is that they didn’t really advertise stuff well either (except for one night when Natasha came into the restaurant we were at and went table to table. That’s what they should be doing to get people to their activities!).

Down the Coast

Room was plain, too plain. Old and dirty looking. Not that the cleaning people weren’t excellent. They were really good. But they can’t make old tiles shiny white again, and can’t change the layout of the room. The bar and frig were really nice and so was the balcony. The rooms might be better just with better lighting and a paint job. I do spend time in the room when I vacation. I can’t be in the sun all day, so a nice room is important to me.

The only activity we did while we were there was the included snorkeling. I loved it. It was the best snorkeling we have had from all the places we traveled. We had schools of fish, blue, red, yellow, grey, barracudas, and other wild life.

Hurricane Prep
It was a good trip. However it’s only a half an hour. I would suggest going out as much as you can. They also have diving. And a night snorkel. We didn’t go, I wasn’t that adventurous.

Finally we were scheduled to leave on Saturday afternoon, and we got out about 6 hours or so before they closed the airport due to Hurricane Dean. I would have stuck it out if I were able, I think that it would have been fun. The Jamaicans were not worried about it at all from what I saw. Many people left early though. However, the airport wasn’t bad at all. We got in and out pretty quick. When we got to Miami we got bumped on our flight, from coach to first class. That rocked. When we got to Chicago we decided to stay at a hotel while we were there and we stayed at the Hilton at O’hare. Try to the name, it was AT the airport. We walked a couple of hallways, out of the baggage claim and there it was. The rooms were nice.

First ever caught on film! Casey i…
First ever caught on film! Casey …
Purple Flower