At the Equator... and it´s Bloody Freezing!!

Mitad del Mundo Travel Blog

We decided we better actually do some real sightseeing, especially after our disaster day yesterday! We woke up to it raining so we decided we wouldn´t go to the equator or the old town because we wouldn´t get any good photos. Then, no ATM machine would work for us, one ate our card (and a nice security guard assisted us to get it out... a warning to all - carry tweezers EVERYWHERE!), we had no money on us after buying tickets to 2 movies. Then,... on the opening scene of the first movie we realised we had already seen it. All we could do was laugh. What else!? We tried the ATM again after the first movie and were delighted that it worked!! We seriously tried 4 ATM machines and they all said that our bank wasn´t lonline or timed out?! Who knows, all we do know is that it eventually worked *sighs*.

We woke up, attempted to have a shower (the water here is suppose to be hot... could´ve fooled me...) and wash my hair. Because I´ve felt so sick with this damn cold in the last few days, it´s been a quick in and out. It´s not warm here in Quito, so having a cold shower has only made my cold worse.

ANYWAY,.... got on the bus to Mitad del Mundo which is about 22km away from Quito itself. Ecuador wure knows how to haul in the tourism. Mitad del Mundo can be explained to some extent like a mini-amusement park. For some reason you have to pay to get in ($2USD) and there is a big monument which also serves as the official museum and has the equator line running through it. Some dude marked it in the 1700´s although in reality it is actually about 150m off the REAL equator.
Apparently you can see the ¨real¨equator but we couldn´t find it anywhere. We decided to do the only thing you can do here, and take this opportunity to do all those cheesy must-have photos (ie; kissing over the equator, jumping on the equator line, holding hands over the equator... etc etc). We were the only ones taking cool shots anyway, we didn´t care about the strange looks ;)

The museum ($3USD) isn´t all that interesting, but I guess it worth it for the view at the top. Pretty impressive really, the landscape is really nice. The entire place was pretty quiet, and comprises of restaurants and tourist shops, all at reasonable prices (and most not so pushy either which is just how we like it).

There are some nice murals around the place also, which we decided to take advantage of (or should I say Nathan was as you can see...)! Decided to take some arty photos with our camera, which is the only real good run it´s had! Turned out pretty cool in our opinions anyway.

It started to rain on the way back to Quito so we opted out of going to the old town today. Instead we thought the only decent thing to do for the afternoon was see another movie! So off to see ¨White Noise 2¨(pretty good too, I bit all my nails off...)!

Suppose to be going to Mindo tomorrow but we will see....
Awwww!
Awwww!
Some random cool looking old man!
Some random cool looking old man!
They have Coke Zero here!
They have Coke Zero here!
Got Milk?