TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 689,189 travelers just like you!

thushan

Name: Thushan
Hometown: Melbourne, Australia
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Website: www.thushanfernando.com
Join Date: December 30, 2007
Contributions: thushan has shared 1 photo, left 10 comments, and smiled 5 times.
Travel Plans
Spain
Hawaii, USA
Fiji
» see all 9 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, Sinhalese, some-French, some-Italian, some-Japanese, very-little German, l33t.
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Getting lost in Tokyo, Japan on the first day we were there. After meeting an interesting guest (Lisa) at the hotel I was at, we decided to walk around - it was probably about 5pm, 10hrs later we realise that its already a new day and we should head back. Only problem, no trains and no idea where we were. Lo and behold we see a business man marching down the street (had a bit too much Sake no doubt) with his arms moving to and fro (with his briefcase on one and his umbrella on the other). Nervously (and trying to be manly to impress my new found friend) I asked the gentleman for directions, he refuses and insists I catch a taxi. So we hail a passing by taxi and the gentleman tells the driver where to take us. It was quite a while way, took probably 30-40mins to get back to our hotel in Asakusa. Once we stopped I got out and reached for my wallet, only to pleasantly be given money (Y340) from the Taxi driver mumbling 'change'... Confused I asked Lisa whether she had given him any moola, nope. She was broke and so was I, but the driver explained to the best of his ability (which meant lots of hand gestures) that our 'friend' had paid for our trip and he was just giving us the change.

We never got to see our 'friend' again, nor did we get his name or details. But what he did change the way we thought of Japan - not that it differed before. Here's to you friend. Kanpai!
Profile
I work as a software engineer and get to travel quite a bit but unfortunately I hardly get to see a country or place I travel - tight schedules. So I steal a few weeks every year and run off somewhere trying to convince myself that *one day* I'll have enough moola riding this Not Even Remotely Dorky graavvvy train to travel full time and not worry about money - gotta have goals right?

I love Asia, its cheap, people are nice, awesome food and great experiences no matter where you go. I fell in love with Japan when I went in 2008.

My life story is documented on my blog (http://www.thushanfernando.com/index.php/about/), its a bit geeky though.
Hummingbird says:
Happy Birthday from the central valley of California!!! I hope your day is as sweet as nectar and all your wishes come true! :)
Posted on: Nov 01, 2013
X_Drive says:
Happy Birthday!!! I knew you had to have a birthday coming up pretty soon. It just felt like a year or more since you had one!! You don't look any older though. Hope it's a special day!! :D
Posted on: Nov 01, 2010
spiritjoytravler says:
Happy Birthday to you from Indianapolis.... May your travel dreams all, all come true for you. Peace. Enjoyed your inspiring Japan taxi story! Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Nov 01, 2009