the Quilotoa Loop-Lagoon

Quilotoa, Ecuador

the Quilotoa Loop-Lagoon Reviews

rsvpme rsvpme
Gorgeous Scenery in Ecuador..Feast for the Eyes... Sep 21, 2013
For me, travel has always been about the pure excitement of experiencing new places, new ways of thinking, and especially having my perceptions turned upside down.

It is especially exciting when I visit a destination that exceeds my initial expectations. I had the good luck to be able to go to the Quilotoa Loop in the Ecuadorian Andes, and it is one of my treasured travel moments.

I have many reservations about travel reviews. Usually they are not always to be believed because they are written to promote, and seldom seem to be objective. I realize we all write what excites us. Little has been written about this natural wonder.

It seems that mostly Ecuadorians and South Americans visit this fabulous location in Ecuador. The rest of the world stays back at a distance because it has not received " trendy status". It is certainly not on the so called " Gringo Trail"; a term that I have often heard used on Trav Buddy and find a tad insulting.

The Quilitoa Loop is, in my estimation, a wonder of the world that is maybe not well promoted, perhaps it is a local secret. Yet, this is one of the most spectacular, scenic places, I have ever visited.

This part of Ecuador is virgin in many respects. Pure, it is unspoiled and very powerful yet inhabited and farmed. The ultimate oxymoron! I was sat back on my heels by its sheer power and beauty.

The Quilotoa loop/lagoon, is, in my opinion, one of the most scenic area in the Ecuadorian Andes.

Located some two hours south of Quito it starts in the town of Latacunga and works it way up very high into the Andes.

Every emerging view of the Andes is spectacular and breathtaking, and that is simply a definite understatement.

The loup features some of the most gorgeous scenery in Ecuador and my words and photographs can tell only a part of the story.

Remote Andean villages are the norm with pastoral scenery blending into mountains to create vistas, that brought tears to my eyes. One just stops and absorbs.

I fell in love in the first 20 minutes as view after view shattered my perceptions. I felt I was walking into some new, virgin, undiscovered territory.

The highlight of the loop is the Quilitoa Crater lake which was created by an exploding volcano thousands of years ago. It is truly a place in the clouds, of unsurpassed beauty.

The top of the crater stands at 3,480 meters above sea level and boasts a tremendous view of the surrounding countryside.

It amazed me that the place was simply not over run with tourism. But this is unspoiled land, inhabited by a very proud people who live with the land.

A bus from Latacunga to the lagoon costs $1.25 and there are many. Stops are absolute perfection. It is easy to make this trip.

The views are the most beautiful I have ever seen in South America. I went 50 % of the loop from one the lagoon. I do want to do the other side. That is now on my wish/bucket list..I am 100% sure I will come back again!

This is one of those " DO NOT MISS " places. I do hope the photographs encourage others to visit. The Loop made a convert of me !
It just goes on and on.....
A shame only the peak shows.
One huge a guard !
A local family and their sheep herd
cotton_foam says:
certainly a treasure!!
Posted on: Jul 14, 2014
rsvpme says: is a and women wear.......
Posted on: Jan 12, 2014
spocklogic says:
Like all the people in the fedora-type hats. They have a particular name for that style hat there in Ecuador?
Posted on: Jan 12, 2014