TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 682,871 travelers just like you!

sachara

Name: Ali
Hometown: Emmen, Netherlands
Location: Emmen, Netherlands
Join Date: January 7, 2017
Contributions: sachara has shared 1 photo, left 23 comments, and smiled 46 times.
Interested in: sharing travel tips and blogs
Travel Plans
Azerbaijan
Sep 16, 2017 – Oct 6, 2017
Azerbaijan Georgia Armenia
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
dutch & english & german and little french & spanish
Most Memorable Travel Experience
The Festival au Desert north of Timbuktu in Mali in 2009. The three days were the perfect mix of desert, camels, Tuareg & African music as I expected.
I also loved the silkroad in Central Asia with its different and fascinating countries like Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgistan, Kazachstan & eastern part of China. It was also great to be on the road all the time to new horizons.
I loved also the Tibetan culture, people and monasteries in Tibet & in Sikkim in India.
Profile
I like to discover the world. I am very curious, especially after I read about the people, culture and nature of the destinations.
My favourite destination is the African continent. It is under my skin since my first visit in 1975. Ghana felt like a second home country, when I came there in 1980 to do voluntary work during summer holidays. I have also a fascination with deserts. In Libya and Algeria, I had great experiences being there with only the blue sky and the fascinating empty landscape around. It gave me the feeling to be in connection with myself and the cosmos.

When I visit a new place, I sit down for a while to blend into the surrounding and feel the atmosphere. And walk around to see the highlights, but also stroll in the alleyways two or three blocks from the main street.

If needed I look at the travel advise of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For example I traveled to semi-autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan, which is safe.If a country is on a warning list, it does not mean that the whole country is unsafe, so I read the details.
Also I rely on local people.In the desert in Algeria and Libya, we traveled with local drivers, who know the region very well. Most important, I always use my common sense and intuition at home and while traveling, such as staying indoors at curfew time in Ghana in 1983.
Some countries I visited in safe times, then it's heartbreaking to see the bad news about wars and repression afterwards, especially where you made friends, like in Syria, Timbuktu, Benghazi and Teheran.

Toonsarah says:
Looking forward to it!
Posted on: May 16, 2017
gillybob says:
Looking forward to seeing you in Kempten!!
Posted on: May 15, 2017
Toonsarah says:
I see you're leaving for Kempten this weekend. I will join the Zurich meet on Sunday and we travel to Kempten together on the Wednesday so maybe we can all meet up then? I'm looking forward to seeing you!
Posted on: May 15, 2017