TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 703,386 travelers just like you!

Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Name: Fergy
Hometown: Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Location: London, England, UK
Join Date: February 27, 2017
Contributions: planxty has written about 215 places, shared 3,240 photos, left 2,382 comments, and smiled 5,935 times.
Interested in: meeting new people, showing people around my hometown, sharing travel tips and blogs, just browsing!
Travel Plans
dream destination
I have visited just about everywhere in SE Asia but, for various reasons too boring to go into here, I have never made it to Vietnam and I really want to. Hopefully, some day soon.
dream destination
I spend every summer in Canada with my dear friend Lynne (Ravenswing here on TravBuddy) in our rather aged but extremely cosy campervan (RV / motorhome). I am not sure of the dates but hopefully I'll be there agein in the summer of 2017.
dream destination
Another place I have dreamed of since my teenage years and I hardly know why as I barely knew where it was then. Don't think it can happen ay time soon, unfortunately.
» see all 4 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, a little schoolboy French and a very slight smattering of Greek.
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Impossible,there have been a few. Here are a few to start.

Swimming with a juvenile dolphin in the wild detached from the pod off Great Keppel in Australia.

Whale-watching in Sri Lanka.

Watching the sun rise over Everest from a freezing viewpoint outside Darjeeling drinking hot tea.

Bagan on a bicycle.

Playing six weeks to packed houses in Scandinavia although I am really a three chord trickster on the guitar and then on a return playing for the Russian mafia in Finland (obviously I did not know it then).

Whitewater rafting in Northern Queensland.

The Annapurna circuit in Nepal, which nearly killed me!

So many days on the road in the battered old campervan that is on my profile now, nursing it round Canada (and hopefully again this summer).

Being run off the road in the Philippines and spending five days in hospital (mostly unconscious) before discharging myself against medical advice because I needed a smoke.

The 6.9 earthquake I survived which was undoubetedly the most terrifying experience of my life, and I've had a few.

Being ordered onstage (I mean ordered) to play in front of about 500 mostly outlaw bikers when I was so drunk I could hardly see my fingers never mind use them.

Being the cabaret in what turned out to be (again I plead innocence) a Bangkok "house of ill-repute".

Scuba diving off Ko Tao in Thailand.

Voluntarily teaching kids English in Luang Prabang in Lao even though I have never taught in my life.

In a Thai village in Northern Lao having a young girl virtually forced by by her Father on me as a potential bride.

Best thing to do is either ask me here or, better still, buy me a drink somewhere and ask me, I'll br truthful and there are plenty more where they came from. I've had an interesting life.

However, the most memorable travel experience I had, all over the world and with so many beautiful people was the time I had on VT! That is the one I know I cannot repeat now.
I am a 57 year old retired single man living in London for the last 29 years although I am originally from Northern Ireland. I am yet another "refugee" from the Virtual Tourist site where I had spent 12 very happy years so looking to start over in a new home here. I love travel writing and a bit of very amateur photography.

I have made so many great and long-standing friends from travel writing and seen such amazing things. I have been the recipient of so many small acts of kindness (and, indeed large ones) that it has literally restored my faith in a species I had lost all faith in, i.e. homo sapiens. Well, all except one or two obviously.

At time of writing (March 2017), the removal of my sole interest / hobby / pastime or whatever in my declinng years of retirement has hit me very hard and I have somewhat lost my appetite for travel (or indeed anything else). I am hoping to get my desire to do so back here.

In the meantime I have managed to salvage, in one unwieldy form or another, those twelve years extemely hard work and I do hope to reproduce them here for whatever small use they may be.

I really do not want to bring anyone down as this seems to be a very positive place and I apologise but I like to be honest as in my travel writing (I have never yet been taken to task for inaccurate or "spam" writing and do not intend to start now).

I have listed all my countries above so please feel free to ask me anything about any of them. I will always tell you honestly how old the information is either privately or on the forums. Believe me, it is not my intention to put a damper on this wonderful site and I intend to participate as fully and as accurately as I can.

Obviously I shall amend this profile if my mood changes.

Upate 23/07/2017

My mood has certainly changed. I left home on 2nd April for a four day trip to meet a friend in the Netherlands and it ended eight countries and three months on the road. Travelling again!
EmEm says:
Hi Fergy, how are you?
The history repeats itself, what do you say now?
Posted on: Mar 23, 2018
boxinbcn says:
Thank you very much!
Posted on: Mar 06, 2018
Toonsarah says:
Saw you'd been online, posting that helpful update about the situation in Kandy, and it prompted me to stop by with a smile and a hi! Claus posted a nice photo of you two on FB the other day - Sri Lanka is obviously agreeing with you :-)
Posted on: Mar 06, 2018

planxty's Travel Blogs

South to serendipity 2017 / 2018.
Dec 20, 2017 – Dec 25, 2017
My annual migration South to avoid the increasingly annoying horrors of deteriorating British winters as shown in the main imag…
Overview 3,191 words 14 0 9
Aug 13, 2017 – Nov 12, 2017
A journal about a somewhat unexpected trip to play at my favourite gig in the world.
Overview 20,447 words 354 133 353
This blog was featured on Saturday September 9th, 2017
Apr 01, 2017 – Jul 20, 2017
After the wanton destruction of 12 years hard work when TripAdvisor butchered the VT website, I was somewhat depressed and lost…
Overview 60,828 words 2,284 581 1,645
This blog was featured on Sunday April 30th, 2017

planxty's Travel Reviews

Average priced "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Margate, England, UK
I had passed the Wheatsheaf many, many times over the years on my way from Broadstairs to Margat…
Average priced "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Ramsgate, England, UK
I think I have managed now the principle of attaching these reviews to journal entries so hopefu…
Average priced "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Ramsgate, England, UK
Hopefully readers will have come upon this review by way of the journal entry to which it should…
Updated 1 day ago