TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 667,077 travelers just like you!

planxty
Award: Critic IIAward: TravelpedianAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Name: Fergy
Hometown: Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Location: London, England, UK
Join Date: February 27, 2017
Contributions: planxty has written about 55 places, shared 284 photos, left 251 comments, and smiled 577 times.
Interested in: meeting new people, showing people around my hometown, sharing travel tips and blogs, just browsing!
Travel Plans
Lebanon
dream destination
Another place I have dreamed of since my teenage years and I hardly know why as I barely knew where it was then. Don't think it can happen ay time soon, unfortunately.
Mongolia
dream destination
Now this is a dream destination, I have always wanted to go there.
Vietnam
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, a little schoolboy French and a very slight smattering of Greek.
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Impossible,there have been a few. I'll get back to it and eventually. A few to start.

Swimming with a juvenile dolphin in the wild detached from the pod off Great Keppel in Australia.

Whale-watching in Sri Lanka.

Watching the sun rise over Everest from a freezing viewpoint outside Darjeeling drinking hot tea.

Bagan on a bicycle.

Playing six weeks to packed houses in Scandinavia although I am really a novice on the guitar and then on a return playing for the Russian mafia in Finland (obviously I did not know it).

Whitewater rafting in Northern Queensland.

The Annapurna circuit in Nepal, which nearly killed me!

So many days on the road in the battered old campervan that is on my profile now, nursing it round Canada (and hopefully again this summer).

Being run off the road in the Philippines and spending five days in hospital (mostly unconscious) before discharging myself against medical advice because I needed a smoke.

The 6.9 earthquake I survived which was undoubetedly the most terrifying experience of my life, and I've had a few.

Being ordered onstage (I mean ordered) to play in front of about 500 mostly outlaw bikers when I was so drunk I could hardly see my fingers never mind use them.

Being the cabaret in what turned out to be (again I plead innocence) a Bangkok "house of ill-repute".

Scuba diving off Ko Tao in Thailand.

Voluntarily teaching kids English in Luang Prabang in Lao even though I have never taught in my life.

In a Thai village in Northern Lao having a young girl virtually forced by by her Father on me as a potential bride.

Best thing to do is either ask me here or, better still, buy me a drink somewhere and ask me, I'll br truthful and there are plenty more where they came from. I've had an interesting life.

However, the most memorable travel experience I had, all over the world and with so many beautiful people was the time I had on VT! That is the one I know I cannot repeat now.
Profile
I am a 57 year old retired single man living in London for the last 29 years although I am originally from Northern Ireland. I am yet another "refugee" from the Virtual Tourist site where I had spent 12 very happy years so looking to start over in a new home here. I love travel writing and a bit of very amateur photography.

I have made so many great and long-standing friends from travel writing and seen such amazing things. I have been the recipient of so many small acts of kindness (and, indeed large ones) that it has literally restored my faith in a species I had lost all faith in, i.e. homo sapiens. Well, all except one or two obviously.

At time of writing (March 2017), the removal of my sole interest / hobby / pastime or whatever in my declinng years of retirement has hit me very hard and I have somewhat lost my appetite for travel (or indeed anything else). I am hoping to get my desire to do so back here.

In the meantime I have managed to salvage, in one unweildy form or another, those twelve years extemely hard work and I do hope to reproduce them here for whatever small use they may be.

I really do not want to bring anyone down as this seems to be a very positive place and I apologise but I like to be honest, as in my travel writing (I have never yet been taken to task for inaccurate or "spam" writing and do not intend to start now).

I have listed all my countries above so please feel free to ask me anything about any of them. I will always tell you honestly how old the information is either privately or on the forums. Believe me, it is not my intention to put a damper on this wonderful site and I intend to participate as fully and as accurately as I can.

Obviously I shall amend this profile if my mood changes.

Bojasem says:
U are welcome
Darfsteller says:
Congratulations for your Critic II award!
pfsmalo says:
Hi Fergy, thanks for the visit, it was quite a fascinating hour or so walking round those old engines. Unfortunately most of Cuba's rail system is on its knees and it takes ages to get anywhere (faster and more comfortable by bus).

planxty's Travel Reviews

Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Whitecourt, Canada
To readers of many of my other pages I apologise yet again as the following paragraphs are going…
Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Whitecourt, Canada
I mentioned in another review here that in Whitecourt there is a palpable sense of civic pride. …
Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Whitecourt, Canada
There is a palpable sense of civic pride in Whitecourt. Certainly it is noticeable all over Albe…