pick pockets on Nevsky Prospect

Saint Petersburg, Russia

pick pockets on Nevsky Prospect Saint Petersburg Reviews

bramwan bramwan
Sep 13, 2007
To follow on from what Portia has already written about on Nevsky Prospect, I can give some first hand experience of how they do it.

We needed to go and draw some money, and most of the bank ATM's are inside other buildings (shops, bank buildings etc). We went to the CitiBank on Nevsky Prospect which has a single door entrance on a corner. I was carrying my SLR camera in its bag over my shoulder, with it haning at my side. Stupidly, the zip was not closed, but there is a clip that was fastened over the camera holding it inside the bag.

As Kat went to open the door to go in a well dressed guy opened the door for her and then went in after her, before me. When I tried to go in, about 4 people all pushed towards the door together. Something was not quite right. I felt squashed and then my bag went light. I suppose that is one good thing of having a relatively heavy camera. By that time I was inside the building too and there were a couple of guys blocking the exit. I managed to push past them and saw a 2 guys talking and the one trying to move the camera in under the back of his jacket. I walked up to them and (in hindsight, possibly stupidly) told them it was mine and grabbed it back from the guy. They just walked off and by the time I got back into the bank the others had disappeared too.

Luckily I got it back, so I am happy, but it did leave me a bit shaken. So the advice is:

- Watch particularly when going into banks and through tight doorways;

- Keep your bags to the front and sealed as far as possible;

- If you feel too many people around you, be very aware.
portia portia
Jul 28, 2006
Before we got to St Petersburg, we were warned by our tour director about pick pockets on Nevsky Prospect, the main shopping and tourist street in town. Since we were forewarned, I was very careful to watch my backpack and only walked and distanced myself where it wouldn't be picked. So nothing bad happened. However, another member of our tour group was ALMOST robbed. He was approached by several people in an unfriendly manner, and he put his hand on his pocket and walked forcefully away. I suppose it may be hard to not look like a tourist when you carry a camera, but try to keep important papers in the hotel safe, and only carry enough for your outing and in a less-easy to pick place. Our tour director said it is not true that you have to have your passport with you at all times in Russia, so keep it in a safe!
Amanda says:
This is so important to know, thank you so much!!!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2006