o'Brian's at the Riverwalk

Chicago, Illinois

o'Brian's at the Riverwalk Chicago Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
O'Brian's at the Riverwalk Aug 23, 2010
O’Brian’s Riverwalk Café is a café by the river in Chicago. It is a branch of O’Brian’s, who have cafes in old town and at O’Hare Airport.

The main selling point for O’Brian’s at the riverwalk is that it is one of the few places I found with a large outdoor terrace. In fact, there is no indoor space at all so this is not somewhere that would be a good idea in bad weather. I think it only opens in the summer, and it doesn’t stay open very late at night.

But on warm summer evenings or hot summer lunch times, this is a lovely place to eat. The location is gorgeous, with pleasant views of Trump Tower, Marina City, and the Wrigley Building, and of course the river and the sightseeing boats. There seems to be a nice breeze here most of the time, and there is plenty of shade if you burn as easily as me. The food is mostly sandwiches and salads, and the burgers are excellent. All the staff are friendly, prompt and the service is great. The prices are reasonable, and there are some really nice beers.

The restaurant uses disposable plates and cups, which I guess isn’t ideal for the environment, but they do stress that they are low-waste versions and that the plates are biodegradable. I guess that with the temporary looking nature of the site they have room for a kitchen but not a big dishwashing machine, which is fair enough!

I went here twice, and took a whole bunch of colleagues with me the second time. I really would recommend it.

Check Chicago Hotel Deals