TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 706,418 travelers just like you!

nolan

Name: Nolan
Hometown: Victorias, Philippines
Location: Philippines
Join Date: March 18, 2012
Contributions: nolan has written about 121 places, shared 1,226 photos, left 17,706 comments, and smiled 32,824 times.
Travel Plans
Jun 4, 2018 – Jun 5, 2018
» see all 54 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, Filipino (various dialects), Español(un poco), Français(un peu), Deutsch (ein wenig)
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
36 hour travel to Buenos Aires - one way! MNL x/HKG x/NRT x/JFK COR (diverted) EZE (overnight). Return EZE x/SAO YYZ (overnight) x/ANC x/HKG MNL. Total nights logged on whole trip - 6. Only 2 nights were on the ground. Details found in my blog here - http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/105981/

When I was 14, I got to sit in the co-pilot's chair on an Aero Commander 500 twin prop plane - all throughout the two hour flight from takeoff until landing.
Profile
30 countries and counting (just finished India which was no. 30 this January 2016). I've done quite a number of repeat visits to certain countries in 2015-2017 so I'm not sure what no. 31 onwards will be but likely be Nepal or Bangladesh in 2018.

I would call myself a traveler and not a tourist (although there are times I will have to be a tourist). My preference is to visit places during the off-season, thus avoiding the crowds and expensive rates. But there are times when one must visit certain places only during the times of festivals and great celebrations, so I tend to balance things out.

I am a former travel agency manager and trainer for airline reservations systems. Travel has now become a hobby aside from a career - I love giving travel advice, especially the more complicated ones (e.g. fare differences, travel restrictions, comparing travel options, etc.)

I also use technology, as much as possible, to make travel a more pleasant experience - not as a burden.

The average global smartphone user has about 26 apps installed. In my case, I have over 500 apps installed on my iPhone - of which over two hundred are travel related! One offline map app alone is over 15GB!

We can always talk about travel, technology, culture, among many things - just post on my profile or join the forum discussions. I'd be glad to answer and provide my thoughts on many areas of discussion.

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
- Mark Twain, "Innocents Abroad"
spocklogic says:
Good luck with the wget to capture your TravBuddy pages in a locally linked clone.
Posted on: Apr 19, 2018
spocklogic says:
At least I'll get one V level award before closure. Took me 10 years to get 5000 forum posts and did it the hard way without excessively playing the Forum games.
Posted on: Apr 12, 2018
jethanad says:
Posted on: Mar 24, 2018

nolan's Travel Blogs

May 15, 2006 – May 19, 2006
Nagoya, Japan -› Tokyo, Japan -› …
One of my quick turnaround trans-Pacific trips back in 2006 where jetlag wasn't given a chance to set in. Flew out of Manila on…
Overview 2,141 words 95 14 110
This blog was featured on Saturday December 1st, 2012
Apr 14, 1997 – Apr 22, 1997
Business trip to Buenos Aires, Argentina to deliver a proposal. 36 hour travel to Buenos Aires - one way! MNL x/HKG x/NRT x/…
Overview 3,565 words 16 32 85
This blog was featured on Thursday January 9th, 2014

nolan's Travel Reviews

Average priced "Hotels & Accommodations" in Bohol, Philippines
Alona Hidden Dream Resort is a quiet resort located about five minutes walk from Alona Beach. Th…
This review was featured on Sunday October 16th, 2016
Average priced "Hotels & Accommodations" in Cebu, Philippines
Quest Hotel and Conference Center is ideally located in the Ayala Center area in Cebu City. Whil…
Expensive "Hotels & Accommodations" in Munnar, India
Apparently this seems to be the Sterling Property now named as Munnar Terrace Greens. It is a ti…
This review was featured on Monday April 11th, 2016