Águilas

Aguilas, Spain

Águilas Aguilas Reviews

Aguilas May 24, 2014
Before I start, I feel that in the interests of fairness, equality and transparency I need to make the following statement. I love Aguilas.

Never, in any of the 26 countries I've visited in my trusty van have I experienced such perfect weather. This was over winter let’s not forget…..it only spat with rain for an hour or so two or maybe three times between me arriving on the 28th November 2013 and the day of writing this – 23 may 2014. The coldest it has been is around 10c and it still isn't ‘silly’ hot as yet – a very pleasant 27c today – as I say, just about perfect.

It may not be the place for wall to wall night life as larger towns or cities are, but I’m an old fart nowadays and me wanting to stay out and party all night have long since gone, even if they actually existed outside of my head in the first place. Having said that, the young bloods here have done a fair job of awakening me on a regular basis most Friday and Saturday mornings at between midnight and 5am. That’s ignoring Carnival of course, when with a special effort and reinforcements from the adjacent towns and villages they managed to party EVERY night ‘till 7am when the music was turned off. Then allow a further half hour of loud ‘goodnights’ and we the older locals had almost a full hours sleep before the street cleaners/bin men arrived. Carnival is not for the faint hearted or those without the type of hearing aid which can be turned off.

The town boasts a very modern concert hall that has shown pantomime, opera and both classical Spanish and the standard classical pieces. This weeks programme featured Mendelssohn’s Fingals Cave for instance. It also has a smaller more intimate venue where I watched a ‘Meeting of the Bands’. Various groupings from clubs or villages danced and sang on stage and generally had a very nice time – as an outsider it was very interesting for maybe the wrong reasons!! An enjoyable night non the less.

There are two large sandy bays to choose from, one on each side of the central headland. I referred to them as the ‘morning’ and ‘afternoon’ bays as they faced East and West respectively. Each beach is a blue flag beach and therefore offers a variety of sporting activities as well as clean water and sand that is ‘manicured’ by a tractor towing a beach flattening whilst picking up litter whilst sweeping machine……yes, really!

The central headland boasts a re-built castle that dominates the local landscape both in natural sun light and is also very impressive when illuminated in resplendent orange at night. The views from the West facing turret are fantastic.

Christmas day is regarded as a holy day, and the giving and receiving of gifts is carried out on the traditional Spanish holiday of Reyes Magos (6th January) when it is believed the 3 Kings visited the baby Jesus. A fantastic parade through the town was held during the evening of the 5th and on the morning of the 6th the long flat esplanade along the West beach was a veritable race track of shiny new bikes, scooters and roller blades!!

Being a Catholic country Spain loves it’s religious ceremony. At Easter they celebrated the arrival of Jesus into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and a 30+ strong orchestra played outside the Church door. Of course Good Friday and Easter Sunday are celebrated too – during Semana Santa (holy week) there are lots and lots and lots of parades and marching bands!!

The Carnival is a very special spectacle – on the main nights the passing floats lasted for over four hours! I was wondering why they had put staged seating along the route.

During the last couple of years I've done quite a lot of damage to my van (reversing into trees some muppet planted in my way mostly) – so I decided to try and get it repaired. I took ‘Frankie’ (It’s a Frankia van see – geddit??) into a small body shop on the trading estate and showed the guy the problem. He said OK, it’s no problem - bring it in. I replied Fantastic, when? Tomorrow? No, he said, tomorrow is fiesta (This was on a Thursday) bring it in Monday – it will be ready in two days. I rang on Wednesday afternoon….not quite ready…..ring tomorrow….and so it went on for two more days! Lucky I didn’t have a ferry to catch! I now Know what ‘manana’ means! The guy gave it his son to do and fair play to the lad, he did a good job.

One of the most noticeable things about living here is that people respect each other and their property. Considering that Spain has a terrible youth unemployment record that says a great deal about their values. The young (as almost everywhere) like a drink or three and as I mentioned earlier they are noisy drunks….but….and it’s a massive BUT, they don’t cause any damage. I’ve not seen any violence nor any ‘psychedelic yawns’ one sometimes sees on the pavements in UK towns.

When I arrived I didn’t know about the micro-climate or the fact that the town has solid historical links with the UK – but something made me stay 6 months, and now the time to leave is almost upon me. It will be a wrench to leave but I have to balance loving it here with my love of travelling, and who knows – that love of travelling may well lead to here next winter. Good willing of course!
Aguilas town May 23, 2014

Facing East from the Castle.

Never, in any of the 26 countries I've visited in my trusty van have I experienced such perfect weather. This was over winter let’s not forget…..it only spat with rain for an hour or so two or maybe three times between me arriving on the 28th November 2013 and the day of writing this – 23 may 2014. The coldest it has been is around 10c and it still isn’t ‘silly’ hot as yet – a very pleasant 27c today – as I say, just about perfect.

The church at night.

The town is well looked after and maintained by a team of street cleaners who are always clattering around. Why they always choose to sweep my calle at 7am or during siesta is a mystery to me, but good moves in mysterious ways I guess. Just before Christmas, which is only the one day….teams of council workers planted hundreds upon hundreds of poinsettias around the town, that made it, along with the traditional lights, a very beautiful place.

One of the many parades during Semana Santa, viewed from my balcony.

During the last couple of years I’ve done quite a lot of damage to my van (reversing into trees some muppet planted in my way mostly) – so I decided to try and get it repaired. I took ‘Frankie’ (It’s a Frankia van see – geddit??) into a small body shop on the trading estate and showed the guy the problem. He said OK, it’s no problem - bring it in. I replied Fantastic, when? Tomorrow? No, he said, tomorrow is fiesta (This was on a Thursday) bring it in Monday – it will be ready in two days. I rang on Wednesday afternoon….not quite ready…..ring tomorrow….and so it went on for two more days! Lucky I didn’t have a ferry to catch! I now Know what ‘manana’ means! The guy gave it his son to do and fair play to the lad, he did a good job.

Romanis at the start of their annual parade.
Aguilas May 23, 2014

Facing East from the Castle.

The church at night.

One of the many parades during Semana Santa, viewed from my balcony.

Romanis at the start of their annual parade.

Check Aguilas Hotel Deals