#1 1-11-2018 8:56 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer

Wearing T-shirt's with home town Logo's while Traveling.....

Do any of you wear any type of Shirt or even hat's that have your hometown Logo on it while you travel around the world? Have you ever had anyone make comments about it like "Hey, I've been there!"?

#2 1-11-2018 11:46 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Wearing T-shirt's with home town Logo's while Traveling.....

I have worn a Planet Hollywood Jakarta, Indonesia t-shirt to Singapore ~20 years ago. Don't recall getting any comments.

#3 1-12-2018 1:16 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Nope.  The *minute* people find out I live in Manchester I am expected to have a strong opinion on Manchester United's defensive strategy, spending decisions, management styles and likely success in Europe.  I have had these conversations from Malaysia to Uganda, and it is a subject I am phenomenally ignorant on, so I try not to advertise!

#4 1-12-2018 12:05 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer

sarahelaine wrote:

Nope.  The *minute* people find out I live in Manchester I am expected to have a strong opinion on Manchester United's defensive strategy, spending decisions, management styles and likely success in Europe.  I have had these conversations from Malaysia to Uganda, and it is a subject I am phenomenally ignorant on, so I try not to advertise!

LOL.....Wait, Manchester United defensive strategy? Does that have something to do with a ball on a big field? I'm about the same as you on that subject.  All I know is that's where my Godson's Grandmother is from.

#5 1-13-2018 2:44 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Who are Manchester United? ;-)

About the t-shirt, nope either. It's no one's business to see at first glimpse where I'm from and, concerning street vendors and such, in which language to bother me.

#6 1-13-2018 5:32 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I sometimes wear a T-shirt from the local Oyster Festival (in my hometown) but that doesn't usually get any comment.

It would not do me any good to wear a T-shirt from Leonardtown Maryland because no one knows where that is - even people from Maryland.  There was one governor (from Baltimore) who assumed that we were on the Eastern Shore, which we are not.  (And he said that the Eastern shore was the outhouse of Maryland so we were not amused)

I also have a shirt with a map of the Chesapeake Bay lighthouses.  Mostly people don't notice or comment.  But when people hear that I'm from Maryland, they immediately assume that I'm from Baltimore (not a problem - I was born there) or the Eastern Shore, and if I'm wearing a map of the Bay, I can point and say, no I live down here.

Last edited by grandmar (1-13-2018 5:36 AM)

#7 1-13-2018 7:26 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

cottonwood wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

LOL.....Wait, Manchester United defensive strategy? Does that have something to do with a ball on a big field? I'm about the same as you on that subject.  All I know is that's where my Godson's Grandmother is from.

Yep, my knowledge extends to there being 22 people, 11 a side, about 14 of whom will have ridiculous hair, kicking a ball.  I learned to fake it, but all my lines are out of date now so next time I go abroad I'll have to get husband to teach me some new ones! 

I am a treasure trove of Manchester facts, but the football is all most people seem to know about.  And in Asia in particular they were fascinated - there were massive adverts outside a major bank account for a Manchester United credit card, for example.  It was surreal, you go all that way from home and there were three metre high posters of Wayne Rooney endorsing a savings account!  This was one of the little cultural moments in my honeymoon - http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/9 … u-Day-1-18

In Uganda there were more Chelsea fans, oddly, and so you got a bit of teasing about picking the duff team wink

#8 1-13-2018 10:03 AM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I often get t-shirts when I travel, and as a result I get a lot of people mistaking me for being from places I have visited. It doesn't happen often, but overall it adds up to a lot of instances.

On the other hand, if I am hiking on a very sunny day I need to wear a hat because i have pretty fair skin. And my default hat is a Chicago Cubs baseball cap. I get a TON of comments on those days.

#9 1-13-2018 10:29 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

sarahelaine wrote:

cottonwood wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

Yep, my knowledge extends to there being 22 people, 11 a side, about 14 of whom will have ridiculous hair, kicking a ball.  I learned to fake it, but all my lines are out of date now so next time I go abroad I'll have to get husband to teach me some new ones! 

I am a treasure trove of Manchester facts, but the football is all most people seem to know about.  And in Asia in particular they were fascinated - there were massive adverts outside a major bank account for a Manchester United credit card, for example.  It was surreal, you go all that way from home and there were three metre high posters of Wayne Rooney endorsing a savings account!  This was one of the little cultural moments in my honeymoon - http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/9 … u-Day-1-18

In Uganda there were more Chelsea fans, oddly, and so you got a bit of teasing about picking the duff team wink

Hope they change the poster soon, Wayne Rooney is no longer with United, gone back to Everton......

#10 1-13-2018 11:05 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

When travelling to Colombia last month I’m wearing my hat I bought in Alaska two years ago. I noticed most people I meet looked up. And when visiting a small village inside Tyrona park a little girl said to me she likes my hat. I said to her you may have it if you liked as I have another one in my luggage. The girl was so happy to have my Alaskan hat. And she can’t get enough to say muchas gracias. I’m proud I can make the little girl happy. I’m returning back home with a few hats I bought in Colombia to wear my next trip smile

Last edited by shavy (1-13-2018 12:53 PM)

#11 1-13-2018 11:55 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

sarahelaine wrote:

Funnily enough, most places we go if a local finds out we are from England they want to talk about football, and to them English football still means Manchester Utd. As that is very definitely NOT our team, we don't take too kindly to their enthusiasm, but occasionally we find locals happy to talk about OUR team, Newcastle Utd - for instance in Senegal (we have had several players from their recently) and Peru (Nolberto Solano, a Peruvian, was a much loved player and almost an adopted Geordie). This is relevant here because, while I have never travelled in a London t-shirt (nor do I own such a thing!), my husband sometimes wears shorts or a t-shirt with a NUFC logo.

#12 1-13-2018 12:57 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter

Paul, well, that particular experience was 2012, and Uganda 2014. But I don’t think the world has gone off the team.

Sarah, I can totally see how annoying that would be. I don’t really follow anyone- I keep threatening to pick someone totally obscure and lower league like Bury or West Didsbury and get obsessed, mostly to irritate the husband who inexplicably for an Edinburgh boy does support Man U. But I frankly don’t have the attention span!

#13 1-13-2018 6:47 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Nope, I rather let people guess where I am from. I was in Italy a few months ago where a guy from Uruguay asked me if I was from Brazil. But that was because I was wearing a small backpack which I got from there with the Brazilian flag on it.

What Sarah has with ManU, I have with the Dutch drug policy.

#14 1-14-2018 6:59 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I have a long T-shirt that I use for a cover-up after I have been snorkeling and my daughter sent it to me from Mazatlan.  The guide in Cozumel asked me if I had been there. 

sarahelaine wrote:

Paul, well, that particular experience was 2012, and Uganda 2014. But I don’t think the world has gone off the team.

Sarah, I can totally see how annoying that would be. I don’t really follow anyone- I keep threatening to pick someone totally obscure and lower league like Bury or West Didsbury and get obsessed, mostly to irritate the husband who inexplicably for an Edinburgh boy does support Man U. But I frankly don’t have the attention span!

For some reason, my grandson who is from Texas and attending Oklahoma University is totally obsessed with Southampton FC in the Premier League.  So when he was on an exchange trip to Oxford for a couple of weeks last summer, he went to one of their games.

#15 1-14-2018 11:50 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

I wore a Canada Tshirt once in Leeds which led to much woo-hooing, high fiving, where ya fromming and commiserating. Might have something to do with it having been at the Canada - Italy World Cup rugby match in 2015 which we should have won. Sigh.

Funnily enough my Tool concert Tshirt has generated many a conversation travelling and my Leeds Rhinos jersey at home.

Funny everyone is still about Man U when City is the better team these days (though not today YNWA...Liverpoooool!!).

#16 1-15-2018 3:12 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

NickelP wrote:

Funny everyone is still about Man U when City is the better team these days (though not today YNWA...Liverpoooool!!).

Yes, well done to Liverpool!

I remember walking through Stone Town on Zanzibar Island some years ago and the local shopkeepers trying to get us to stop and look at their wares by shouting 'Manchester United', 'David Beckham' etc. It totally backfired of course ;-)

#17 1-15-2018 9:39 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Got chatting to a guy from my home city of Perth once when I was living in Vienna cos I spied him wearing a west coast eagles jumper (one of the AFL teams from Perth)

Was really kool and enjoyable as I'd been away from home for a little while so was good to meet a native from my hometown.

#18 1-17-2018 2:45 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Yeah, I was wearing Tee with Mt. Everest at sea-side, Thailand and some people started to talk with me about Nepal and their stories. nice.

#19 1-20-2018 12:39 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

No, I would never do it and I have a slightly snobby attitude to T-shirts insofar as I will never wear one in the country I bought it in.  For example, I am in Sri Lanka now and I have an Ecuador T, an Aussie T, a Jamaican polo shirt etc.  Of course, most of my T's are music related and I am still wearing the blazes out of my Strawbs 2000 tour shirt and my Jethro Tull Aqualung.  Actually, I find the music shirts usually generate more comment than the travel ones.

#20 2-8-2018 5:16 AM

marryjohna1
marry
London, England
Couch Potato

Hi, I am planning to the same but haven't done till now.

#21 2-9-2018 1:37 AM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Couch Potato

It's a good question. As for me, I have never worn any type of shirt or hat/cap with my  hometown/country logos during my travels around the world. I has never occurred to me to wear one. On the contrary, I bring such things with me and give them to my acquaintances and friends as gifts from my country.
Besides, I have never had anyone make comments about what I wear. I never make such comments myself and believe they would sound inappropriate.

Board footer