#1 1-17-2018 4:51 PM

Egypt in June

Hi I'm headed for Egypt in June.  I'll be there for 8 days flying into Cairo.

I have a couple questions about the trip.
1.  How hard is it to navigate Egypt in general right now- compared to Morocco for example?  Can everything be done "spur-of-the-moment" like Morocco?
2.  I plan on traveling down to Luxor for a few days.  Do you recommend getting the train tickets before I get there or after?
3.  Do I need a tour for Luxor or can I just hire a taxi for a day once I get there?

I'm sure I'll have more, but that's what I can think of for now.

Thanks!

#2 1-17-2018 5:32 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 487

Re: Egypt in June

There is no need of a tour, Luxor town is small enough to walk (unless it's too hot for you), to the  Valley of the Kings you can go also by public transport or bicycle.
I had no problems getting the train tickets the same day (there would be also a long distance bus).

#3 1-17-2018 5:38 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 487

Re: Egypt in June

Traveling in Egypt was not more difficult than in Morocco, except of planes and some times accomodations I did not book anything ahead, but  a boat trip stopped halfway because of nasty weather (sand storm).

#4 1-18-2018 6:36 AM

Re: Egypt in June

Thanks, Uli, that's exactly what I was wondering.  Researching online they make it seem like it's almost impossible to get around Egypt for tourists without doing a formal tour.  Tours aren't really my style.

#5 1-18-2018 6:59 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1149

Re: Egypt in June

I took the night train between Cairo and Luxor, you sleep in a 2-person couchette with a small washing area and dinner and breakfast is included.

The center of Luxor is not that big and easy to explore on foot or by bike. If you want to get from the east to the west bank where you will find the Valley of the Kings, you can take the boat or taxi. If taking a taxi best to speak the price before. Another common mode of transport is the caleche, a horse-drawn carriage.

Best to buy your train ticket the day before you travel to Luxor. Temperature in June to August in Egypt can be very hot, so be prepared smile

#6 1-18-2018 3:39 PM

Re: Egypt in June

Thanks, Belinda for the informative answer!

#7 1-29-2018 2:27 AM

jake0020
Jake
Essex, England
Posts: 148

Re: Egypt in June

Just finishing up a month of solo independent travelling Egypt with no set plan and its very easy to get around, as is Morocco.

You do not need to book trains in advance, you can simply get on the train and pay the conductor when he comes round, for some reason it's sometimes cheaper than buying at the station.

Gobus is also convenient, you can book tickets in the morning for that evening either online or via a gobus office.

Luxor is small and compact, you can rent a bicycle which is a nice way to visit the temples and go off the track a little bit, you will meet friendly locals this way, and the traffic there is not intense like cairo.

-Jake

#8 1-31-2018 2:26 PM

Re: Egypt in June

This is good news!  Thanks!

Board footer