#1 1-12-2018 2:41 AM

Globevoyager
Maike
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1099

More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

Not sure if there has a been a topic about this already...

So, I'm a solo female traveler. And far from the only solo traveler. But somehow I meet waaaay more solo female travelers than solo male travelers...

Why is that??

#2 1-12-2018 7:40 AM

Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Globevoyager wrote:

Not sure if there has a been a topic about this already...

Why is that??

I guess single female travellers has more guts than the single male traveller big_smile
i travel alone for about 15 years and never have had any problems. Since I had my partner I’ve miss being a solo traveler. I’m a person who easily make friends during my trips.

Last edited by shavy (1-12-2018 9:08 AM)

#3 1-12-2018 8:29 AM

Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

It depends on the age group you are referencing.  My father died in 1973  and my mother lived until 2006 so for those years she was often a solo traveler.  Sometimes she would travel with a friend or a child/grandchild, but she also went alone.  I was a solo traveler when my husband was in the military and was deployed.

#4 1-12-2018 9:57 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 922

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I meet heaps of backpackers here in Australia and I gotta say it seems about 60/40 in favour of the girls as being the champions of solo travel.

#5 1-12-2018 10:53 AM

surfoz wrote:

In the old days, the men went off adventuring and then sent for the women.  Maybe the men are all off fighting wars and there's no viable marriage prospects at home.  i was thinking of this Weavers song

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone, long time passing?
Where have all the young girls gone, long time ago?
Where have all the young girls gone?
Gone for husbands everyone
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the husbands gone, long time passing?
Where have all the husbands gone, long time ago?
Where have all the husbands gone?
Gone for soldiers everyone
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the soldiers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the soldiers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Gone to graveyards, everyone

#6 1-12-2018 11:15 AM

surfoz wrote:

Australia is very popular for young backpackers. My daughter is currently in Melbourne

#7 1-12-2018 11:26 AM

Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I think this also seems to apply in other hobbies too. In the walking club where I go there is a good 70/30 in favour of the girls (mature women mostly) and my wife tells me that at her painting club it's eben more than that in favour of the women.

#8 1-12-2018 11:32 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 752

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I notice that -- especially among the middle-aged (age 35-54) and older age groups
Some reasons why I think women over-represent men in this age group:
-Although there there are more young men than women (due to slightly more boys being born than girls), around age 35, women start outnumbering men.
-In many countries, the official retirement age for women is younger than that of men. Take most populous China for example where the official retirement age for women is 50 while for men it's 60. On top of that, women generally live longer, so they have much more free time for leisure travel than men.
-Men are more likely to travel for work; hence, they more likely to stay at business oriented/chain hotels and probably don't have time to meet other travellers (so you don't get the chance to "meet" them). Moreover, I have noticed that my flight seatmate(s) are most likely to be middle-aged men on work related travel.

The pre-middle-aged (age 30-34) group:
This is the group I tend to meet less solo women travellers compared to men. My guess is more women than men in this age group have multiple children and can't travel solo due to childcare responsibilities.

Young adults (age 20-29):
From experience, I have met slightly more women. The reason this may be the case is because when I was in this age group, I only travelled to countries deemed safe for women travelling solo and I bet most young women are similarly discriminatory on their destinations based on safety. Had I picked random cities on a map to visit, I don't believe I would have met more young women than men travelling solo.

grandmar wrote:

Totally agree with you - depends on the age group.

#9 1-12-2018 4:18 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 6054

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

At the risk of being contrary, everywhere except this site talks about how hard it is for women to travel solo, how few of them do it and how we need to encourage it. And I've met a LOT more lone men than women over the years. I have a few thoughts:

- we remember stuff that's either personally relevant, or unusual, more easily than other stuff.  So there are two subconscious biases working here.  The first is that if you are a woman yourself, you'll notice and be reassured by other female travellers, and not by men, which means you'll remember more of the women you see.  And the other is that we remember unusual events better than common ones, which tricks the brain into thinking they're more common than they are.  Just like people are more scared of terrorism and rare disease travelling than the big killers, traffic accidents.  So if you see a lone woman and that's unusual, you'll remember that and not the men.

- And the other thing is that I think men don't *stay* alone.  Women are scared of looking weird and needy, so they'll stay alone.  Men form big gangs and go drinking, act like they've known each other for life, and from the outside you'd assume they've been travelling together forever.  But they start off just as solo.

#10 1-12-2018 6:53 PM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 162

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I've been commenting about this for years!!! Oh my God yes!  For a long time, I was hoping that I would meet a guy while traveling, maybe some romance could blossom, but the men I met while traveling were almost always with a female counterpart.  Women travel, and sometimes men do with their girlfriends or wives.  Of course it's not always the case because I know guys on this site travel alone a lot.  I just never meet solo guys while traveling.  Thankfully, I finally met a great guy while traveling and we've been together for a few months, but that was a rare occurrence.

I have no idea why, though.  Strangely, most of the comments here have been from women.  I'd love to know what the average guy thinks about why women are overrepresented in the solo travel group.

#11 1-12-2018 7:52 PM

Globevoyager
Maike
Posts: 1099

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

Now here is my/the deal. I've been traveling solo for over ten years. Starting in my early twenties, I'm now almost 33 (three weeks to go tongue )
I stay 95% of the time in mix dorms, sometimes female dorms only. Still, in the hostels I see more solo women than men. I easily make "friends" on the road and don't favor a gender over the other.
I also look with an open mind around and still notice, in all age groups, more women than men.

(With exceptions for countries with sex tourism where there tend to be a lot more solo -older- men traveling...)

So, solo men, where are you? wink

Last edited by Globevoyager (1-13-2018 1:18 AM)

#12 1-13-2018 2:14 AM

So, solo men, where are you? wink

Well it seems that I'm the only man to answer, but unfortunately I'm not solo, just given my view.

#13 1-13-2018 2:25 AM

pfsmalo wrote:

So, solo men, where are you? wink

Paul, this would be coincidence that you the only men answering this topic tongue

#14 1-13-2018 2:39 AM

shavy wrote:

pfsmalo wrote:

So, solo men, where are you? wink

Pehaps it's the title of the post puitting men off from answering.

#15 1-13-2018 5:49 AM

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I think there is something to the idea that men 'group up' when they travel and appear to being with a group when they are really solo.

I have not myself traveled solo very much.  I did 6 weeks in Europe in 1964 mostly by myself and I don't remember meeting many other solo travelers.  But I have not done any travel where I stayed in hostels.  If you count business travel, have traveled alone for business quite a lot, and I did some sightseeing in my off hours, but I wasn't setting out to see the world by myself.  I was just making the best of the non-working hours.

#16 1-13-2018 5:57 AM

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

Business trip I think is different, as I have done it before. You're going on a trip to work and you're going to the same hotel every night. You have some free time but I do not call that adventure trip

Travelling around Europe I find it the most safe continent in the world and Australia and New Zealand

I'm talking places outside Europe  like South, north, central America and Southeast Asia. As a woman can be easily intimidated by local or by other travelers.

I only one bad experience and I wasn't expected that this could happen in America. I'm being robbed inside my hotel room in Las Vegas, it was the most horrible experience I ever had. I didn't travel alone for a year I join the groups but traveling in group wasn't my thing to do. So I went back on the road again on my own

Last edited by shavy (1-14-2018 12:30 AM)

#17 1-13-2018 12:03 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17665

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I'm a man and usually travel solo.

I agree with most of Sarah's comments above.

I'd have thought there were more solo men travellers than women. But that is only my impression. I have no evidence.

I agree that some men might go out for a evening but my impression is that solo girls will meet other solo girls and travel together for a short or long time.

#18 1-13-2018 6:42 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 6054

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I do travel solo as a man. I don't agree on way more women traveling solo than men. But I can't prove it. I think it's quite equal the number of solo men and women I meet. And I also have been traveling for about 10 years now.😉

#19 1-13-2018 8:23 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 693

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I thought it was the other way round! tongue

#20 1-14-2018 12:17 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 190

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I'm a single guy and have been traveling alone for a great long time.  Last time I had a residence with my own name on the lease was in 2002, and I've been traveling solo since even before then.

I meet a roughly equal number of solo male and female travelers, but it varies greatly depending on where I am and in what setting.  I do agree with almost every point mentioned above, but I'd add a bit more from my own personal observations.

Solo women will often buddy up for safety, or even if they don't they will gravitate towards more frequented sites and areas.  Solo women will frequently stay in hostels or other foreigner-friendly accommodations, again for safety and convenience.  Many men will do the same, but there is a large demographic of men who do not and their numbers are lost to this survey.

As example, just in 2017, excluding my business travel where I was in corporate paid hotels, I spent 3 weeks in Cambodia, 3 weeks in Myanmar, 3 weeks in Mauritius, 1 week in Reunion, 3 weeks in Namibia, 1 week in Botswana, 10 days in Guatemala, 5 days in Belize, a couple weeks in Indonesia and several random weekends in China, Singapore and Malaysia.   And in all of the above, I just counted... only 8 days of that were in hostels.  Even to iterate my point more, 25 days of the above were actually in the homes of local people.  The reason being is because I was often too far off the path where hostels were, or was comfortable taking the solo part even further by not interacting with 'foreign' visitors and merely focusing on mixing with the locals.

I'm not trying to imply that women do not do the same as me.  But I believe that they do so in smaller numbers - mostly for safety and security.

#21 1-14-2018 12:05 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 147

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I don't have much travel experience but from what I do have, I've met more solo females travellers than males, though not sure how much that has to do with demographics being in the 40+ category.

On the other side, when my son did his solo trip to Europe, he would say he met more solo male travellers than females.

#22 1-14-2018 1:17 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Sightseer
Posts: 67

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I love traveling by myself when I travel with other people I have to wait on them and it is annoying. I would think other female solo travelers feel the same way and males probably said it is too dangerous for us too and we proving them wrong.

#23 1-14-2018 3:35 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 370

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

Solo male traveller here.

I haven't really paid much attention to this, but from what I recall, there are more solo female travellers at the tourist attractions.  But at hotels and restaurants (especially the dine in ones), the solo travellers tend to be male.

Last edited by travel_geek (1-14-2018 3:35 PM)

#24 1-14-2018 9:37 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I'm a solo male traveler most of the time and it seems I met more female solo travelers when traveling around more than use guys, but not by much. When I would stay at the Youth Hostels, especially in Europe, I still met a lot of single guys as compared to guys traveling in groups. In New Zealand on my last trip there it was the girls. Go figure.

#25 1-15-2018 5:21 AM

chefwar
Eshwar
Toronto, Canada
Couch Potato
Posts: 9

Re: More solo female travelers than solo male travelers?

I have been traveling solo about 11 years, and I have notice the trend of more female travel solo than male.   I also find that more female prefer to share with another female.

Board footer