#1 1-11-2018 6:53 PM

nguyenmman
Washington, District of Columbia
Couch Potato

how expensive in Manila now

I plan to travel light and buy needed stuffs like slipper, towel.. in Manila (baclaran).
any advice is grateful.

MMN

#2 1-11-2018 11:51 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: how expensive in Manila now

Philippines is cheaper for shopping comparing to the USA. You will find everything you need there.

Why you want to go to Baclaran? while there are big shopping malls in Manila. I'm as local Filipino scared to walk around the Baclaran. I would not recommend Baclaran unless you have a Filipino company with you

Mall of Asia is very huge where you find eveything in one roof

Last edited by shavy (1-11-2018 11:53 PM)

#3 1-12-2018 7:29 AM

nguyenmman
Couch Potato

thank you for your advice.
Baclaran comes to mind because I've been there several times but with a group of friends who speak tagalog.

#4 1-12-2018 7:37 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

nguyenmman wrote:

thank you for your advice.
Baclaran comes to mind because I've been there several times but with a group of friends who speak tagalog.

I see. If you go back to Baclaran certainly with a bunch of friends again smile

Last edited by shavy (1-12-2018 7:38 AM)

#5 1-13-2018 4:34 PM

nguyenmman
Couch Potato

no, but i go with a Filipino guide (with other americans).
I forgot what type of plug there is in Philippines, can you tell me? to charge my iphone.
thanks a bucnh.

#6 1-14-2018 2:03 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Explorer

nguyenmman wrote:

no, but i go with a Filipino guide (with other americans).
I forgot what type of plug there is in Philippines, can you tell me? to charge my iphone.
thanks a bucnh.

Philippines electrical plug is the same as in US with a flat head

I don't know which iphone type you have?
I have an iphone 7+ here in Belgium and I'm fine with my iphone charger in the Philippines

Last edited by shavy (1-14-2018 2:06 AM)

#7 1-14-2018 3:06 AM

ManjitSingh
Manjit
Punjab, India
Couch Potato

Manila is not expensive as European and American countries. You can enjoy travelling at cheapest price.

#8 1-14-2018 6:00 AM

nguyenmman
Couch Potato

Thank you all for your reply.

#9 1-14-2018 7:01 AM

nyk_flashpacker
nyk
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Not that expensive, you can buy that in Manila and there are a lot of stores in the city , for instance in central manila there were few convenience stores just walking distance from my hotel

#10 1-23-2018 10:59 PM

thomaspastoral
Couch Potato

Manila is not that expensive compared to other countries. Basic goods are really affordable, as well as other things that you can buy. You just have to weigh in all options when deciding to spend here.

Last edited by thomaspastoral (1-24-2018 4:42 PM)

#11 1-24-2018 5:23 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Plugs are normally two flat pins or 2 round pins. I have walked through Baclaran on many occasions and have never encountered a problem. Best to go on a Wednesday or Sunday when there are more stalls. You will find it very cheap compared to DC, and don't forget to bargain a little

#12 1-24-2018 6:09 AM

nguyenmman
Couch Potato

Thank you, Davejo.
you are from Palawan? I stayed in the refugee there in 1980.
What do thay do with the Viet village now?

#13 1-24-2018 8:34 AM

holdmyhandsforever
Noel
Makati City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

A dollar gets you a decent meal here in Manila and probably lower in rural areas.

Let us know if you're coming back so we can meet you. Travbuddy is active here! smile

#14 1-26-2018 7:58 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

As Belinda said, no need to go to Baclaran if you're already staying near a mall in Manila or Makati. Whatever savings you have from purchases in Baclaran will just go to pay off your taxi fare. And if you're seen with Americans, the vendors will likely not lower the prices even if you ask for discounts. They know that the purchasing power of your dollar won't make much difference to you if you don't get discounts. Just make sure they don't swindle or overprice you, though.

You can buy slippers and towels in any SM Mall or department store. No need to haggle, plus you can pay with credit cards and conserve your pesos for non-card transactions. Guess what? I still think it's cheaper to buy stuff from Amazon.com compared to most places in the Philippines for certain goods, especially the known brands. But for cheap brands or knockoffs, definitely Baclaran is one such place to look. Personally though, I won't go there because I don't like the kind of crowds that mingle there.

#15 2-7-2018 5:54 PM

nguyenmman
Couch Potato

Sheryl,
Thank you very much for your in depth post.
Noel,
Thank you for your post.
Nolan,
Thank you for the info.

Really appreciate your time.

Board footer