#1 12-31-2017 5:57 AM

Posts: 224

Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

Hi TBs

Happy New Year: Wish you all Safe travels.

I have a short break coming up and planning a trip to Rio, Iguazu Falls & Buenos Aires. Around 5 days in Rio and around 7 days in Buenos Aires including the waterfalls. I've just started to search for information.

1) Is March 1st-2nd week good time to visit the above 3 places? weather, issues, etc if any?

2) 4-5 days in Rio enough? what are the must see places you suggest? I've read about Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon as best places to stay, any suggestions ? and any good recommendations on Airbnb, hostels or service apartments?. I would prefer to stay close to all the restaurants, public transport, any markets, nighlife, easy access to all tourist attractions....

3) I plan to fly from Rio to either Buenos Aires or airport close to Iguazu falls

Iguazu falls:
1st option: should I do this day trip from Rio or a couple of days return trip from Rio & back to Rio & then fly from Rio to Buenos Aires?. I've heard the waterfalls are also good to visit from Argentinian side.. can you suggest how to make this trip?

or

2nd option: should I fly from Rio to Buenos Aires (spend few days) & then take flight to the Iguazu falls on Argentinian side and cross over to Brazilian side of falls to take flight back to Rio ? is this feasible ? Please advise how to route this as flights from Rio to Buenos aires (to-fro) could be expensive

4) 4-5 days in Buenos Aires city is good time to explore city? Any suggestions on areas and stay options (hostels, Airbnb, apartments, etc)-close to all the action and easy to access all sites.. what the good places to visit in and around Buenos Aires

Any advise on local tours, tickets, safety, average prices (food, local transport, local cell phone service-wifi, etc) and other recommendations for all the places  (Rio, Iguazu and Buenos Aires) welcome...

Thanks
Cheers
nyk

Last edited by nyk_flashpacker (12-31-2017 5:58 AM)

#2 1-1-2018 4:43 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1057

Re: Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

The weather in March will be okay, you maybe have rain in Rio but is not so bad as it is.

Iguazu waterfalls can be visited throughout the year.

4-5 days in BA is suffice, you maybe have one day extra trip to Colonia Uruguay. Don't miss La Boca while in BA, is best to visit in daytime

From BA fly to Iguazo Falls, take the earliest flight and then visit the falls as soon after settling down at your hotel

The next day cross the border to Brazilian side and from there take your flight back to Rio

4 days in Rio is good. Sugar Loaf, 396 meters certainly striking in view of its shape and location,  you can either climbed or take the cable car. The colourful Lapa district is worth a day stroll,  go to Escadaria Selaron, the happiest staircase you will ever see

The gigantic concrete image of Jesus Chris is of course the landmark of Rio. If you are interested to see the slums in Rio de Janeiro (Favelas) you can take the tour

I find Copacabana is cheaper for accommodation than Ipanema and Leblon
Flights to Iguazo best to book in advance: LATAM and GOL has reasonable price to Iguazo

#3 1-3-2018 12:01 PM

Explorer
Posts: 1057

nyk_flashpacker wrote:

nyk

Enjoy your trip to this beautiful countries. I’m just back from Colombia. Three countries left I have to see Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela but Venezuela is impossible to go there. This is the last place I want to visit someday when is peaceful 😊

Last edited by shavy (1-3-2018 12:23 PM)

#5 1-3-2018 11:08 AM

Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

Re: Iguazu, I’d steer you more towards Option 2.  Flights and options are going to be cheaper and more plentiful if traveling from Bs.As.   I’d do it as a round trip from BsAs (fly to IGR).    If you have the time and/or multiple entry Brazilian Visa, you can still cross and see the falls from the other side, but I’d keep all airfare domestic in Argentina.  If you find return air to Rio from Iguazu (Brazil side IGU) that equates to the other legs, yes it is possible, but flights on Brazil side tend to be more costly.  And just to be clear, this is not a day trip.  It’s a long flight to arrive here and you’d need at least one night to do it justice.

If you have a 1/2 day free in Buenos Aires, is also suggest going up to El Tigre.  It is maybe explained as a South American Venice.  Just look it up on Google and see if it peaks an interest.

#6 1-5-2018 4:37 AM

shavy wrote:

nyk_flashpacker wrote:

Thanks..
Sounds great, would be nice to hear more on Colombia. Good luck for the next trip smile

#7 1-5-2018 4:41 AM

DaveSwede wrote:

Hi Dave

My initial plan was Peru, but what I read online was that it isn't a great time of the year to visit especially Machu Pichu...

thanks, did some reading and I agree from what you said, some of these flights can be steep .Also reading online, some of the government works commencing in that region could be majorly slow down travel time.... trying to get more information on this as I guess Brazil visa isn't an issue, I am figuring out Argentina visa details and also multi entries if I change travel plans as per the available flights...

#8 1-3-2018 2:40 PM

Re: Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

Argentine Visa needs to be done on-line prior to departure.  But don’t worry as an Argentine Visa has a validity duration, with multiple entries allowed.  Brazilian Visa is a little more complicated to get, but not that bad for a tourist

#9 1-9-2018 3:08 AM

Re: Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

I lived in Rio for about 2 years. There’s plenty to do and see, but with 4 days, you’ll be doing well enough just to hit the main sites already mentioned. If you want a mini adventure and want to see a beach that is cleaner (Ipanema and Copacabana are crowded as well as the water can be filthy if the tide is releasing the polluted waters of the Guanabara Bay), you could go over to Itacoatiara. It’s a popular beach for locals and has better surf.

And for hands down, the best view of the Rio skyline, you’d have to get to the top of Niteroi. Views are spectacular all day, but amazing for sunsets. Get yourself to where Google Maps has the pin at Parque da Cidade de Niteroi.

#10 1-12-2018 2:32 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 419

Re: Need suggestions for Rio and Argentina..

I just returned from Brazil 2 days ago. What an amazing country!

In Rio I highly recommend Hotel Novo Mundo! Our room had a view of the beach, of Christo Redentor, Sugerloaf Mountain AND a favela, all from our window. Sunrise view is incredible. Place was clean, staff friendly and helpful and it cost the same as our hostel on Copacabana.

We spent 5 nights in Rio and felt that we ALMOST managed to see and do everything. There is LOTS to see and do over there. The highlight of my trip was walking up through Vidigal (a favela) and then hiking up Morro Dois Irmaos. The views are breathtaking!

Enjoy