#1 10-31-2017 6:05 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 419

DSLR vs GoPro

Hi All

Up until now I have been using a simple point and shoot Nikon camera (L340) along with my cellphone (Samsung S6 Edge Plus) to photograph my trips. The Nikon doesnt do it for me, evening shots are horrible and the contrast is terrible, I find my cellphone takes much better photos. Its time to upgrade before my upcoming trip to Brazil. However, im in two minds about what I want, a DSLR or GoPro. I dont look at taking professional photos but I do enjoy capturing good images. Below iv listed some of the things Im looking at when deciding on what to buy in order of importance:

*Obviously great quality images. How advanced are GoPros? Can the quality of their images even closely compare to that of DSLRs? Also, I was told that only GoPro 6 can zoom in and out?

*User friendly. Do I need any special software for a GoPro or is everything stored directly on an SD card like a normal camera? Do GoPros have any features at all?

*I want to use my camera for recording videos. This actually made me think about going the GoPro route in the first place. Not extreme videos, simply just while exploring on foot. I imagine the GoPro is a good choice for this. Does the GoPro have built-in stability control or do I need to purchase a separate attachment for this?

*Waterproof casing. I always seem to be caught out by rain on all my trips. Do you get any waterproof casing for the big cameras? I know GoPros are perfect for this.

For anyone who has owned or still owns both sets of equipment, which do you find more useful?
What didnt you like about either option?
I have never used a GoPro before, is there anything to be wary of? I know DSLRs have been around for much longer so they should be improved as much as can be?
Is it worth it or a waste to possibly trying to purchase both sets of equipment considering im no professional photographer?

I would highly appreciate any advice on this smile

#2 10-31-2017 7:38 AM

Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

I'm not sure about Go-pro but as for DSLR cameras: they don't necessarily take better shots than you Phone
I own a CANON EOS 60D and pictures straight off the camera are no better than my Phone (some even look worse) I'ts only after working on them in Photoshop I get the better pictures. if you're only going to use a DSLR on auto mode I think it's not worth the money. Also they are heavy, besides the auto setting they can be quite complicated. But there is a whole camera world between point and shoot and DSLR, have you considered mirrorless?

#3 10-31-2017 8:28 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1056

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

I used to travel with my DSLR camera but this broke two years ago. I decided not to buy a new and I bought Go-Pro Hero 4 Silver instead, is very small and light to carry and you can take photos underwater. You need to buy extra SD card. I can’t zoom-in with my Go Pro, you can editing the photos in your computer or phone

What you need is download the app to your phone, is a bit complicated, but everything is stated on the manual booklet , once everything download is so easy to use. Whenever you use Go-Pro it need to activate your phone Bluetooth if you want to see your photos. The photos taken from Go Pro were pretty good.

If you use your phone for photographs be very careful if not snatched, I’m also travelling soon to South America I’ll probably used my GoPro most of time for picture taking, I will not  walking around with my phone

Last edited by shavy (10-31-2017 9:53 AM)

#4 10-31-2017 11:27 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 434

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

Personaly i us simple cameras, part of my last winter trip was with a friend normaly using DSLR cameras but on that trip using a GoPro 5. Negativ for DSLR cameras is the weight, pictures and movies are fine, watherprofe casing is available for most models, but even more weight. GoPro is  lightweight but definately not user friendly and you will need special software (and software working for GoPro 4 is not working for GoPro 5! GoPro had in spring 2017 only software for GoPro 4 for download!) only easy for instant upload to Facebook, Instagram and similar.

#5 10-31-2017 6:15 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1978

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

I don't really recommend you to buy DSLR unless you are happy to invest on various lenses and you know how to use it on manual modes.
Mirrorless makes very good photos as well and there are even high-end point and shoot cameras. If you don't really explore your camera function to create image with it, just stick to point and shoot.
I recently bought Fuji X100-T and it makes great photos too! I know a photographer who is a member of photo gallery in Tokyo and won some photo awards here uses the newer version of point and shoot that I use (His is X100-F) and he exhibits his works and publishes photo books with the point and shoot cameras.
You don't necessarily obtain DSLR to make great image at all!

Speaking of GoPro, it's compact and easy to use. However I am not sure if it makes great image.
It's pretty handy to use. I own GoPro Hero5 and it can store photos and videos with microSD which is available anywhere, and no special apps or programs are needed but angle of view is very wide so I don't know if the vision GoPro makes is of your taste or not. If there's any chance to try at some stores, go check it.

#6 10-31-2017 7:29 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Posts: 86

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

The thing that camera phones miss is optical zoom, and to me that makes a world of difference. I use an ultrazoom (24) P&S, which can reach out and fill the frame with something located far away.

You can simulate this with digital zoom, but you need to realize that digital zoom merely uses the pixels in the middle of the image and throws out the rest. So, for example, if your camera has a 20 megapixel sensor, and you do 2x digital zoom, you are throwing out half the horizontal pixels and half the vertical pixels, leaving just 5 megapixels. A 4x digital zoom leaves just 1.25 megapixels.

Optical zoom, on the other hand, does not lose pixels as you zoom out to capture an image of something in the distance. A 20 MP camera zoomed out to 10, 15, 20x is still using all 20 MPs.

#7 10-31-2017 9:10 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

Sony A600 for me. Small enough that my camera bag is not heavy. Use 2 lenses for travel. Bought a NEX 7 used for South America.

Last edited by Sept922 (11-3-2017 10:37 PM)

#8 10-31-2017 10:21 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 188

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

It comes down to what sort of images you want to end up with, and I mean, totally end up with, not end up in the camera. If you don't really care about the final image and just want to capture "memories", then the GoPro and a camera phone would be fine, but if you're a bit more serious about final image quality, then you can't go past a DSLR that shoots in RAW format, which will allow you to do so much more post processing work to your faves shots to make epic images. It's your choice totally. My kids have iPhone 7 plus phones and they take great photos and videos and one has a Lifeproof cover that allows her to carry it with some security and also take it underwater. Sometimes you'll maybe want to do bracketing exposures or long exposures too, so it's quite unlikely (as far as I know) that GoPro wouldn't have those abilities. I used a Nikon D7100 when I travelled to Vietnam and Greece earlier this year, and I loved my photos, and although I didn't take any video footage, I could have done so nicely, but not underwater. Good luck with whatever you choose.

#9 10-31-2017 11:26 PM

milestx wrote:

The thing that camera phones miss is optical zoom.

There even is a solution for that
https://www.androidcentral.com/best-uni … oid-phones

#10 11-1-2017 2:28 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 1056

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

I haven't used my Go Pro this year with all my trips in 2017 I used an iphone 7 for all my photos. I'm going to Colombia soon I surely won't use a lot my iphone, is not wise walking around with phone in your hand. I have my Go Pro ready.

If you can purchase the newest Go Pro I heard it has a better captured than the older ones go for it. The nicest thing with Go Pro if you are on the beach or go swimming you can take it with you while not possible on regular cameras.

Last edited by shavy (11-1-2017 5:45 AM)

#11 11-1-2017 2:49 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 419

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

Thank you all so much for the info and advice
I think after reading these i am leaning more towards GoPro

I think my cellphone takes great photos. The only two things I dont like are that if for example im trying to capture a building quite close to me, it does not fit in the frame. Also, if i have my cellphone in my pocket and see something that I want to capture quickly, I have to dig into my pocket for it, unlock it, open camera....by then the moment is gone. These are actually the only two reasons why I want to get additional photo equipment, and to be able to take good quality videos of course.

#12 11-1-2017 3:47 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 97

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

Have you looked into other options? There's no need to buy a DSLR camera if you just want better images than you get on the phone. As a non-photo enthusiast you would be wasting your money on a host of features you would probably never use, nor even bother to learn about. But there are as others have said good point and shoot cameras, and also what are known as bridge cameras - the best of these can produce the quality images of a DSLR but without the option to (and hassle of) changing lenses. You can use them in automatic point and shoot mode, or learn a few other settings that will improve your results in more challenging situations such as low light. My Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 gives great results. It has a Leica lens with good optical zoom, an intelligent auto setting that adjusts according to the subject matter, and full manual modes for when I want more control. It weighs more than a point and shoot, but less than a DSLR - for me, the perfect compromise!

#13 11-2-2017 12:21 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Tourist
Posts: 188

MarioBG wrote:

..... if for example im trying to capture a building quite close to me, it does not fit in the frame. Also, if i have my cellphone in my pocket and see something that I want to capture quickly, I have to dig into my pocket for it, unlock it, open camera....by then the moment is gone. .......

I believe you can get little wide angel attachments that slip onto you phone camera, also, you don't have to unlock an iphone if you simply hit the home button and swipe left, so maybe your Samsung does the same?

#14 11-2-2017 8:02 AM

EEEhehehe
Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Posts: 72

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

i have go pro 4 Silver and i like it. very small, you can carry it always with you, waterfproof, almost undestructable when in the case. also easy to use with Go pro app.. works great with video, time lapse, also wide angle pictures.. no zoom, but you can get some great wide shots, for everything else you just use your phone. i guess series 5 or 6 are even better.

#15 11-3-2017 6:48 AM

smile

#16 11-3-2017 6:28 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4132

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

go pro is good for action shots - you can mount it on your shoulders or any part of your body / sticks / bicycles / drones while trekking, skiing, canyoning, surfing,  sailing, paragliding - anything to do with action/adventure that you want to capture immediately w/o fumbling the settings of an slr camera.

slr camera takes too much but creates a better perspective of pictures. you need time and patience to adjust the settings manually - for light balance, saturation, colors, brightness and contrast etc.

personally i like slr coz i could adjust the apertures and exposures (animal close up, flowers and insects in makro, long exposure in water etc.)

#17 12-11-2017 2:01 AM

seat38a
Brian
Los Angeles, California
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

The biggest issue with the camera on your phone or a GoPro is the crappy images and video that come out in low light. The first time I used my GoPro Hero 5 inside of a darkly lit bar, the images were unusable. I've had no issues with my Sony RX100 I believe version 3 with taking photos or videos in low light.

#18 12-26-2017 4:32 AM

MartinLTurner
Martin
Ohio, United States
Couch Potato
Posts: 8

Re: DSLR vs GoPro

My vote goes to DSLR. I never used or none of my friends used Go Pro.

Board footer