#1 12-20-2017 7:15 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer

Travel to a beach to do nothing......

Ever plan a trip that involves going to a beach in a nice warm tropical location just to do nothing?

What trip did you do that involved doing nothing but "stay there and lay/sit there"?

#2 12-20-2017 9:14 AM

corona_time372
Gardner, Massachusetts
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

That's pretty much every trip I take to tropical locations ; )

#3 12-20-2017 9:41 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I always try and avoid beaches when i am traveling as we have some really beautiful beaches on the island where we live. Normally we go to the beach once a month and we usually visit a beach and we are the only ones there. However the family has just acquired 5000 sq.m by the beach so we are about to commence constructing a beach house so we can relax there for a few days a month. Usually when we travel we still jump out of bed before 6.30 and start exploring as soon as we have breakfast. When we return home it is then time to relax and rest from our vacation.

#4 12-20-2017 5:32 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

The only time I can remember going on a beach trip was when I bunked with my daughter on her week at Bethany Beach - they went every year and I stayed with them for a couple of days once.  This wasn't tropical, but it was summer so it was warm.  We got up in the morning and maybe went for a bike ride or did some yoga on the beach and then we packed up the umbrellas and coolers and staked out a spot on the beach for the day.  In the evening, we'd go to a restaurant or one of us would cook dinner. 

It has been some time since I did this.  I do not as a rule do any beaches (tropical or otherwise) because I've had 2 melanomas, my husband has had several, and my brother-in-law just died of brain cancer which resulted from a melanoma on his scalp.  Even back in the day, I did not like lying in the sun and getting sweaty and having sand stick to me.  I hate putting on suntan lotion.  The sun is too bright for me to read.  I love to swim, snorkel and dive.  But lying on the beach is not fun for me.

I have lived on our boat in the winter in the Florida Keys or the Bahamas, but that's not really tropical and it isn't a beach.  Waterfront, but not a beach.  I have also chartered a boat (with a crew) in the Virgin Islands, and that was a very nice relaxing vacation.  But we weren't on a beach, we were sailing and also snorkeling and scuba diving.

#5 12-20-2017 5:35 PM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

We have arguably the best beaches in the world here in Western Australia (Lucky Bay is my favee) ..even though I rarely have a "beach only" holiday, the place I have done this is a spot call Rottnest Island which is located about 12 or so miles off the coast. It has a myriad of spectacular beaches & bays etc - there are no cars allowed save emergency & service vehicles, plus it has not been overly developed so retains a very laid back and relaxed vibe ..an awesome place for jus lazing around and hitting the beach.

#6 12-20-2017 6:00 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

The best beach trip I’ve ever done was in Koh Rong Cambodia. The island is so remote only reachable by boat. There is only one bar with restaurant sell very expensive food and drinks. We spent there one day just lying on the hammock, swim, eat and drink just get lazy.

I’m in Colombia right now touring around. I’m halfway of my trip, before coming here I book a beach resort in Isla Rosario and before flying home we are going to the island for a couple of days doing nothing anymore just relaxing

Last edited by shavy (12-20-2017 6:10 PM)

#7 12-20-2017 5:15 PM

tombom07
Tom
Huddersfield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I'm not really a sunbathing type of guy. I prefer to be on the move & seeing attractions when I'm travelling, rather than just laying down (a bit ironic because at home I'm very lazy).

If I had the right complexion/skin tone for it then sure, it's a nice way to relax, get some vitamin D and rejuvenate. More power to people who can! Every now & then I can find the odd hour or so to have a swim & relax on a beach if I'm on holiday.

Just remember to slap on that sunscreen! smile

#8 12-21-2017 3:13 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

It's not really my thing - I'm very fair skinned and can burn through clothes, let alone sunblock - so I tend to limit my beach time to a few days per trip max.  It's a good way to finish off a busy journey for me, and then go home.

I've had beach parts of a trip to Vietnam, on Phu Quoc - it was the rainy season but that was only warm rain for a few hours in the afternoon and the rest of the time was for relaxing.  I spent a few days on a beach in Langkawi, Malaysia but I was six months pregnant and happy to lie around like a hippo for a while.  We aimed to do that in the Gili Islands but it was just too rainy that trip - I actually thoroughly enjoyed sitting in beach cafes drinking wine and watching the downpours, though, so no harm done. 

My husband is better at relaxing than me and his top tip is Zanzibar, Tanzania - he rented a hammock and just pretty much stayed in it for a week or two, a couple of times, before the poor man met me.

#9 12-23-2017 7:32 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

As part of a trip it's nice to get some down time on the beach to chill out and read a good book or two. I'll second Sarah Elaine's husband in recommending Zanzibar, especially if you've been on the road for a safari.

#10 12-24-2017 5:26 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I spent a night in Las Penitas, Nicaragua on one trip.  Bored silly.

#11 12-24-2017 2:41 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

>Ever plan a trip that involves going to a beach in a nice warm tropical location just to do nothing?

That's pretty much my imagination of a terribly boring and wasted holiday...

#12 12-24-2017 4:14 PM

chefwar
Eshwar
Toronto, Canada
Couch Potato

I have done several times to Cuba, DR and Mexico but it is all a matter of opinion.  I am definitely do not need a tan, but I always plan a day trip or two.  But I have found there is nothing like some down time to relax and let someone else take care of you for a few days.  As much as I enjoy an active vacation, I totally enjoy a couple of days just to relax and enjoy the beach and ocean.

#13 12-24-2017 8:46 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer

.....That's pretty much my imagination of a terribly boring and wasted holiday...

Really? Boring and wasted? To not have to worry about getting anywhere on time with the only stress is whether you have enough suntan lotion and possibly a few other annoying tourist near by doesn't sound wasted to me. i'm currently planning a trip to Honolulu Hawaii next fall and do exactly this for a week, Lay in the sun and get a good suntan and stay in a youth hostel over night 2 blocks off the beach. Never done a trip like this, but I think I'm do for it.

#14 12-25-2017 10:34 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

cottonwood wrote:

.....That's pretty much my imagination of a terribly boring and wasted holiday...

Really? Boring and wasted? To not have to worry about getting anywhere on time with the only stress is whether you have enough suntan lotion and possibly a few other annoying tourist near by doesn't sound wasted to me. i'm currently planning a trip to Honolulu Hawaii next fall and do exactly this for a week, Lay in the sun and get a good suntan and stay in a youth hostel over night 2 blocks off the beach. Never done a trip like this, but I think I'm do for it.

I don't mind being in a place where I don't have to plan or worry about going someplace.  But I would not want to be at the beach for such a vacation.  I don't like being in the sun for a start and I hate stuff on my skin, including sunscreen which I would have to use.  I don't like being hot.  It's too bright to read a book.  It is a huge effort to go and sit on the sand and look at the ocean. I like to swim.  But it is too hard do it from a beach and contend with waves and undertow.  A beach vacation with nothing else, I would be bored and not relaxed

Now I would like to be on a boat and look at the ocean, where I have my food and toilet close at hand without having to walk on sand to get to them.  (Sand is very difficult for someone of limited mobility such a myself because it is an unstable surface)

Or I wouldn't mind being in a hotel or something next to the beach where I could sit in the shade (or indoors in the A/C) and look at the beach from there and have someone bring me food and do the housekeeping. 

But no - not going to just go to lie on the beach. It would be a waste of the effort to get there.  If I'm going to put in the effort to go someplace, I want to be someplace other than a beach.

To answer the original question

What trip did you do that involved doing nothing but "stay there and lay/sit there"? 

Those kinds of vacations have all involved boats. 

We chartered a boat with a crew in the Virgin islands twice - they sailed the boat and cooked and all we had to do was sit and watch the scenery and eat, and if we wanted to we could get off and snorkel. 

And a cruise with a lot of sea days like the last one I took to Hawaii - it was a 15 day cruise and there were four sea days where there was nothing to do but relax, and decide what to eat (I only gained 2 lbs), then the first port I went ashore and did a progressive brunch - someone drove us around to people's houses and served us food.  Then the next stop I took a helicopter tour of the island (Oahu) which was great.  The following port it rained, so I didn't get off.  The next port I did go ashore.  And then four more sea days and we stopped in Mexico (I didn't go anywhere).  So basically 15 days and I only did something on 3 of them.

Last edited by grandmar (12-24-2017 7:27 PM)

#15 12-25-2017 2:16 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Well, today I spent a day on a beach in Tyrona National park in Playa Crystal. Is 25th of december the beach is packed with local Colombian, I didn’t enjoyed it much is too busy.

#16 12-25-2017 4:43 PM

bula_niki
Niki
Cambridge, England
Sightseer

I grew up in Fiji, so never really understood the appeal of a beach holiday!
I must admit though, I went to Thailand for 2 weeks in 2015, and unexpectedly ended up spending a week of it in Koh Tao, just diving, getting massages, hanging out on the beach and checking out beach bars. It was amazingly relaxing.

#17 12-27-2017 7:17 PM

Tommy743
Montana, United States
Couch Potato

Being an inhabitant of a cold freezing winter wonderland I can easily understand the OP desire to go somewhere warm and do nothing. My trip was recent so I still remember it well.....sitting on the beach in Grand Cayman....warm sun...cold Absolut soda and a Cohiba Cigar from downtown......

I dunno...how does it get better?  yes we snorkeled and did other things but to me the highlight was getting back and just enjoying doing nothing. My advice? Go somewhere you can get fresh Cuban cigars!

edit...   quote from Peter Gibbons..."I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!!"

Last edited by Tommy743 (12-27-2017 7:26 PM)

#18 1-4-2018 1:47 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

On my Jordan trip we finished it of with a few days beach/doing nothing but thats not my thing so after one day doing nothing I started planning boat and snorkeling trips and went to explore the local market
So I would never plan a trip to do nothing, there always has to be something to do besides relaxing

#19 1-2-2018 4:00 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Explorer

After tavelling around Colombia for 3 weeks, we spent three days on the island Isla Del Rosario. It was so good to relax for a few days after dragging our luggage everyday and the long buses trip we feel like it is necessary to chill out after touring Colombia and do nothing just eat, drink and swimming, sometimes on the hammock. Flying back home completely relaxed

#20 1-4-2018 2:38 AM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

surfoz wrote:

We have arguably the best beaches in the world here in Western Australia (Lucky Bay is my favee) ..even though I rarely have a "beach only" holiday, the place I have done this is a spot call Rottnest Island which is located about 12 or so miles off the coast. It has a myriad of spectacular beaches & bays etc - there are no cars allowed save emergency & service vehicles, plus it has not been overly developed so retains a very laid back and relaxed vibe ..an awesome place for jus lazing around and hitting the beach.

I agree that Western Australia has very nice beaches and unlike those around Sydney they are not too crowded, or they were not 20 years ago. 

To answer your question, I usually like to add some adventure to my travels but a few years back I was in Costa Rica and the beach town I ended up staying at did not have much options.  So I would go to the beach until it got too unbearably hot on the black sand beach then I would return to the pool in my Condo, and later in the day return to the beach.  It was very relaxing and I much appreciated the time to just relax.

#21 1-4-2018 9:02 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Just finishing a trip where I had planned a few days of 'nothing'.  After two days of 'nothing', I couldn't take it anymore.  Fortunately, there were things to do here (Tenerife) if one wanted to.

#22 1-7-2018 12:27 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer

Well, I just bought my airline ticket and made my youth hostel reservation to Honolulu to spend nine days there if anyone wants to join me. I'll be the one laying on Waikiki beach getting a suntan "doing nothing". OK, maybe I might take a walk to Diamond Head to hike to the top one morning with a few other occasional shorter morning walks to move my legs, but that's it. I'll let you know how it goes.

#23 1-7-2018 2:19 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Nomad

Suntans are bad for you.  It makes your skin look old and subjects you to melanoma (from which my BIL just died).  You need enough sun to get vitamin D, but no more than that.

#24 1-7-2018 3:21 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Flying halfway round the globe to Hawaii, and then being stuck on the beach at Waikiki looking at hotel skyscrapers all the time instead of seeing and exploring the amazing nature and landscapes on the Hawaiian islands - now that would be a wasted holiday to me indeed.

#25 1-7-2018 5:06 PM

Solomatrix
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

grandmar wrote:

Suntans are bad for you.  It makes your skin look old and subjects you to melanoma (from which my BIL just died).  You need enough sun to get vitamin D, but no more than that.

this

Board footer