#1 10-28-2017 6:41 AM

Traveling with Necessities in Mind

What must you pack that might not be available where you travel?

I learned a valuable lesson on my extended travel to Africa recently.  Some African countries do not have the need for expensive contacts over eyeglasses.  Therefore, consider how long you are staying in certain African countries that are less developed if you are in need to replenish basic necessities like contact cleaners.  Warning:  Remember to pack eyeglasses in case you go for weeks without finding one ounce of contact cleaner!  I will remember to pack cases of it next time.  LOL

#2 10-28-2017 8:25 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

Tampoons are not worldwide available......I also carry 4 extra lens in my bag and the lens liquid, plus two of my eyeglasses

#3 10-28-2017 9:51 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5999

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

Prescription medicines. Different drugs are available in different countries and the formulation can differ. That’s the only thing I can think of apart from my glasses where I couldn’t find some form of emergency substitution.

Apart from that, tampons are a big one if you use them- I tend to either use pads or I used to run my pill together if I was somewhere where pass would be a problem. I wear glasses rather than contacts, but have needed a back up pair on long trips a couple of times. You can always get some form of shampoo and conditioner but not necessarily the types you’re used to so if your hair is particularly difficult without your usual stuff you might need to carry that- again, I let my hair just do it’s own thing but that’s not an option for everyone. I’ve read articles saying that it can be particularly hard if you have African-Caribbean type hair and you’re in some parts of Europe, for example.

Almost anything else can be got locally and it’s more an issue of how much of your holiday you want to spend in shops.

Last edited by sarahelaine (10-28-2017 9:52 AM)

#4 10-28-2017 1:11 PM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 168

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

Shoelaces and backpack buckles. We rarely consider these small yet vital things, but when they break you might find yourself immediately hobbled. You might get away with carrying a heavy pack without a hip belt for a short while, but you probably won't be able to walk 5 meters with a broken shoelace.

Last edited by es1418 (10-28-2017 1:15 PM)

#5 10-28-2017 1:45 PM

Great thoughts so far!

I usually take a year's worth of daily contacts with me, but that gets expense on the road without being able to conserve them more than just for one day's use.  I was gone 2 months on this last trip; so I really became low on contact cleaner with no store carrying it.  Funny thing, found a small bottle for sale at an airport store on the way out of the country.  LOL

I can relate to the hair issues.  My hair always becomes fuzzy and harder when showering in Africa, no matter what shampoo or conditioner I use.  Not sure how to improve this.  Probably to wash my body but not my hair as often to keep more natural oils in it.

Totally did not think about extra shoelaces or buckles!  I usually wear sandals or flipflops in these hot environments.  However, it is a consideration for my running shoes.  Although, I think most of these countries with malls or shoe stores tend to have shoelaces.  Buckles is probably not as readily available.

I had a huge problem with coloring my hair on the road in Africa also.  Who has ever heard of a blonde getting her roots adjusted in Nigeria?  By the time, the salon was finished with me, my hair was spotted with the corn silk blonde hair dye that had been wrapped in tissue paper. (The salon could not afford aluminum foil to wrap dyed hair that was drying in solution; so the hair stylist wrapped dyed hair in tissue paper.) After applying the dye to various hair sections rather than all over, I have really looked interesting for several weeks!  LOL

Last edited by LivLovLaf (10-28-2017 1:46 PM)

#6 10-28-2017 1:49 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 164

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

Not actually a "must pack" but very useful is a universal sink plug especislly if you are doing to do your own washing.  More importantly a universal plug of the other viariety i.e. electrical is hugely useful unless you are travelling really basically.

#7 10-28-2017 1:57 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5999

LivLovLaf wrote:

Great thoughts so far!

Naturally ginger- it’s saved me a fortune over the years. And the only things that helped my hair in Uganda were keeping it plaited back almost the whole time, washing it less often and hair oil- which is fairly easy to get hold of as it’s what the locals use. Of course in European hair the local stuff can be a bit heavy- Argan oil or something from home might be easier- but coconut or cocoa butter work well enough if you’re then just plaiting it again.

I never thought of shoelaces either- although i’ve never snapped one I couldn’t knot back together in a pinch. I went through a phase of snapping my sandals every trip for a couple of years and replacing the shoes was always cheaper than fixing them would have been. But thinking about it properly, add compeed blister players to your list- I can always find regular Elastoplast or equivalent but proper cushioned blister plasters are rarer, and nothing works as well as compeed. And if you are replacing sandals in a hot country, you may well end up a bit tattered.

Last edited by sarahelaine (10-28-2017 1:59 PM)

#8 11-3-2017 2:50 PM

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

Wow!  Great suggestions!  I love the haircare idea!

#9 11-4-2017 12:53 PM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 73

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

I agree with Fergy that an adaptor for the local electricity supply is a must. I also always take sun tan lotion as I have sensitive skin and need an anti-allergy formulation which you can't buy everywhere.

#10 11-4-2017 1:55 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

It depends where you go, to Europe maybe you prescription medicines and  extra eyeglasses, to India and Malaysia mosquito repelents (only useless repelents are available there, maybe in some other countries as well), in some places (Indonesia for instance) good malaria pills are difficult to find, if you use electronic devices you might need power banks and adapters available everywhere but in Australia for instance very expensive. People with large feet (male, bigger than 42 / 43 European size) might need a extra pair of shoes in Latin America or South East Asia, in a few out of the way places electric plugs fitting in a light bulb socket might be usefull.

Last edited by ulis (11-4-2017 1:57 PM)

#11 11-4-2017 5:13 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 460

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

I take prescription medicines sufficient for the trip plus some.  Also bandaids because if I get a blister I don't want to walk to the store to get one.  I have extra eyeglasses, but since my prescription has changed about 5 times since the last pair of glasses I don't know how useful they would be.  Since I've had one cataract out, I can see pretty well without glasses, at least with one eye.  I have a tiny screwdriver in case the screw comes out of my eyeglasses.  A needle and thread are often useful - I once sewed together my grandson's suitcase when the zipper broke - we were on the way home so it just needed to contain the materials in it until we got home.  I don't need much for my hair because I just let it do its own thing.  I always take at least 2 pairs of shoes, but most of them are velcro or don't have laces. I have a tiny flashlight, a pair of tweezers and a small mirror (about the size of a half dollar)

#12 11-5-2017 2:44 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17616

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

On prescription or even non-prescription medicines though, there may be a need to be cautious;

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new … 38286.html

#13 11-6-2017 6:49 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1350

es1418 wrote:

I have spare shoelaces in my standard pack, and I always bring sports tape, can be used for lots of small repairs.
A electricity adaptor I only take with me when I need to, There are websites where you can check if and what type you need

#14 12-6-2017 4:06 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 3298

Re: Traveling with Necessities in Mind

I wear glasses, and of course always travel with a spare.

Board footer