#1 10-11-2017 2:38 AM

tombom07
Tom
Huddersfield, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 288

I have four months. Central or South America?

Hey all,

This is sort of a follow on from my previous forum post linked here:

I decided to ride it out at my job until December (giving me less time to travel) and due to a twist of kind fate I actually found out that I'm being made redundant. Luckily, I have a couple more months at work and then a few weeks off at Christmas. Please don't say sorry as this is a 100% positive thing for me. I won't get much money but it'll be a little top up to my travel pot.

The question now is, with just four months to travel (I will leave early January, have to be back in the UK very early May at the latest due to weddings etc), do I focus on Central or South America, or possibly a bit of both? I realise it would be a long distance to cover in four months. There are regions/countries that appeal to me in both areas.

To quote what I said before: My attitude is quite open-minded when it comes to travelling but in particular I find that the natural world and just being out in nature appeal to my senses the most. I also love walking, a bit of hiking, scuba diving/snorkelling, food, history/architecture, people, and photography.

I've travelled solo before but never to the Americas.

Advice and suggestions most welcome and definitely appreciated!

Cheers!

EDIT: I have decided on Central America but feel free to continue posting any suggestions or advice. My rough itinerary is in a comment further down the page smile

Last edited by tombom07 (11-23-2017 11:47 AM)

#2 10-11-2017 3:48 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 426

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

Food, history/architecture was in my opinion best in Mexico,  scuba diving/snorkelling at the Caribian coast but doesn't compare to SE Asia/Australia. History/architectur is also interesting in Peru and Columbia. Distances in South America are very big and no cheap airlines, roads are also not the best. If you are a slow traveller, do Central America and Mexico.

#3 10-11-2017 4:42 AM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1159

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

You have a lot of time, and knowing that I would take the plunge and go to South America.  Something like a month in Columbia, a month in Peru or Bolivia, a month in Brazil, then head south to Patagonia.  For Architecture, Buenos Aires is impressive.

#4 10-11-2017 8:14 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

South America if you have 4 months you'll see Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia. You can easily cross the border by long distance bus. Or Check some budget airlines this will take you faster than bus

Tame airlines, Viva Colombia, LAN, Avianca

#5 10-12-2017 4:52 AM

Globevoyager
Maike
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1085

Central!
For South you need much much more time. Loved Central also a lot more than South

#6 10-12-2017 3:08 PM

jeminigirl
Allie
Merseyside, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 356

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

My friend is travelling South America for five weeks next month - her itinerary is fly into Peru, do Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca, then down to Bolivia and the Salt plains, though Chile, Christmas in Buenos Aires and New Year in Rio - I'll keep you posted on what she suggests.  My other friend did something similiar - Belize she said was amazing as was Costa Rica, she then did some of the Amazon, Peru, Argentina and Brazil smile

#7 10-14-2017 1:56 AM

avittet
Arnaud
London, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 9

Definitely South.

Starting from the top - Colombia for instance (not COLUMBIA like people tend to write it) - then spend a month in each country making your way south - Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile -  all the way to Patagonia would be amazing!

Plus - South America has a lot more variety of landscapes and activities to offer than Central.

#8 10-15-2017 4:24 PM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 466

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

Haven't been south so can't make an informed decision but I spent 4 months in Central America this yr. Jan - may. I also travelled solo. Loved every min of it. Mexico turned out to be my favourite and 5 wks there didn't seem long enough. It looks small but travelling can be slow and you are still covering 8 countries. I could have spent longer.

Guess it depends what you're looking for? I liked the mix of diving in the Caribbean, jungle trekking, volcanoes and colonial cities.

#9 10-21-2017 8:19 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 297

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

the best new world diving will be the atolls in belize and the cenotes in the yucatan.

Last edited by katzgar (10-21-2017 8:20 AM)

#10 10-21-2017 6:50 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 460

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

I like Belize and the Yucatan both of which have good diving.  I'm not familiar with the rest of Mexico, but I would have said that Mexico was North America and not Central.

Countries in Central America are smaller and easier to get around in.  And that time of year you won't need to worry about hurricanes.

I was talking about South America with my grandson and a friend - he said that Argentina is not in a good financial situation and that the professors he has from Peru hate the professors from Argentina.

#11 11-23-2017 7:22 AM

divergirl16
Alana
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Hi!

It's a tough question and really both options, south or central america would be great, except if you want to dive a lot. Or maybe it's me not thinking of scuba diving when thinking of south america... Anyway smile

I would also suggest to maybe add Mexico to your list, I love this country mostly for the Yucatan Peninsula! And combine with central countries, or even caribs. The scuba diving is amazing, snorkeling as well, hikes, nature walks and stunning beaches are everywhere. Plus, in Mexico and Belize for example, the food is just incredible - I'm a total foodie! I particularly loved the diving in Belize - complement of info here divezone.net/diving/belize - and then I would suggest to head to Salvador and / or Nicaragua for some amazing surfing and then Costa-Rica for the volcanoes hikes. That would be an adventure and fun packed 4 months smile

Just another opinion for adrenaline seekers and nature lovers smile

P.s I seem to be unable to share a link cause I'm new... super weird since it's legit content + adding information. Anyway, I left a part of the url there

Alana

#12 11-23-2017 9:28 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 73

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

My own preference would be for South America if I had four months, but as others have said, it would be less good for diving. For everything else on your list, it delivers. My favourite country there of those I've visited to date would be Chile, which has such variety along its length - the scenery in the Torres del Paine is stunning and there are walks to suit everyone, from multi-day hikes down to short strolls, and everything in between. The Atacama is one of the most amazing places I've been in recent years for photography. It's less appealing on the history front than some other countries perhaps, but my second favourite, Ecuador, would tick that box and also have good walking and scenery. A month in each of those would be wonderful, so I would consider starting in Ecuador, travelling down through Peru (also fantastic for photography), into and down through Chile and then cross to Argentina and make your way back up to Buenos Aires. If your windfall from the redundancy would allow you a splurge, you could add in a side-trip to the Galapagos from Ecuador and that would tick the snorkeling box too - one of my best ever experiences was snorkeling with the sea lions there!

#13 11-23-2017 11:47 AM

tombom07
Tom
Huddersfield, England
Posts: 288

Re: I have four months. Central or South America?

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions so far!

As much as I'd love to do both, I have finally decided on travelling Central America given the timeframe I'm working with. It's much less ground to cover and means I can go at a slower pace.

Feel free to contribute to continue to this post as I love reading the comments and find them helpful and informative!

For an itinerary I'm thinking of flying into Southern Mexico and taking the following route:

Mexico - Belize - Guatemala* - Honduras - possibly El Salvador - Nicaragua* - Costa Rica* - possibly Panama - possibly Colombia.

(I starred the countries I'm thinking of spending longer in)

So it's likely I'll fly back to the UK from Costa Rica or Colombia depending on what sort of pace I'm going at. I'm also thinking of hitting up a few cities in the States on the way home... maybe two or three between San Diego/L.A./San Fran/New York.

Board footer