#1 11-5-2017 10:25 PM

88lance
Abilene, Texas
Couch Potato

Expensive cameras/electronics in Philippines?

Heading to the Phils in the start of the year. In my backpack I normally carry all my video equipment, like the GoPro, mounts, laptop, Mavic drone, ect.  Basically a $4,000 backpack. I never been to a country like the Philippines, where people are telling me to constantly be on the lookout and not be playing with camera gear in public. Or that I need to make sure all my stuff is still there after going through the airport. I would really like to know how much of this is just nonsense, or how cautious I should actually be? Is it true that things just disappear in the airport?  Is it a big deal to walk around vlogging with a GoPro? Just not sure how much of an issue carrying my electronics is going to be or how much of it is just hyped up nonsense.  haha opinions?

#2 11-6-2017 12:09 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Expensive cameras/electronics in Philippines?

I usually take whatever i can in the cabin, 2 times my luggage has been lost completely (not in the Philippines). In my opinion the Philippines are safer then the US, a lot of security, sometimes quite annoying. In Manila there are some areas where you should be carefull (Tondo for instance) and better avoid in the night. Also don`t take any drinks or food from some "friendly" unknown persons.
Most people speak english and easy to get along, local food is somtimes a bit strange but you can find about every American fastfood chain.

#3 11-6-2017 8:03 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I’m originally from the Philippines, I often travelling to my home land visiting my family. My advice to you do not walk on the street in Manila with your camera or Go Pro.

Be careful in Ermita area people get robbed even in daytime, is best to put your gadgets in your bag while walking on street. And never leave expensive stuff in your hotel room ask for safe deposit box. Most pricey hotels has private safe in the room

If you plan to take a public transport like jeepney hold your bag tight. Thief can be one of the passengers, this is really a big problem in the Philippines

When go through the airport in Manila locked you bags especially in security control and keep an eye of your bag while passing through x-ray machine. Manila airport has bad reputation, it has been named the worst airport in the world

Makati district is one of the best area to stay in Manila, is safer than Ermita

Not everything you heard is true, the worst thing is almost gone. Philippines is getting better since a new president elected, but still a lots of work to be done.

Which places in the Philippines are you plan of visting? I’ m from Cebu by the way

Last edited by shavy (11-6-2017 10:33 AM)

#4 11-6-2017 3:48 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Yes, things have been known to disappear from your bags in the airport but not that often. I have lived here for 20+ years and despite taking precautions i was pick-pocketed on the metro. Be careful of crowded places where locals could slash your bag and remove items. I would hate to travel around the country with so mach valuable equipment to keep my eye on. Things also disappear from hotel rooms now and again.

#5 11-7-2017 6:33 PM

88lance
Abilene, Texas
Couch Potato

Thank yall for the responses. Do most hotels have a big enough safe to keep a backpack inside? I'm not sure which town yet, but the main stop im focused on is Coron Palawan smile

#6 11-8-2017 12:06 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Hostels might have lockable boxes in the dorms maybe big enough for a daypack, Wanderer in Manila if i remember well. Cheap hotels might have a room for luggage storage but not individual boxes. The hotel i used in Coron was built on stilts over the sea, door locks rather flimsy and certainly without a safe.

#7 11-8-2017 8:21 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

IMO you will not find many hotels with safes big enough for backpacks, in fact i have only seen small safes, maybe 12x12x10 inches.

#8 11-8-2017 8:28 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

88lance wrote:

Thank yall for the responses. Do most hotels have a big enough safe to keep a backpack inside? I'm not sure which town yet, but the main stop im focused on is Coron Palawan smile

Safe boxes inside hotel room is made for small things not for backpack. Coron? is a good choice, my favourite of Palawan. Maybe go to El Nido as well, you can take the ferry from Coron but is a long journey and possible of seasick if the weather is bad smile

#9 11-8-2017 7:35 PM

88lance
Abilene, Texas
Couch Potato

Yes if I have time I will definitely go to El Nido as well.  The problem with storing things is unfortunate, it would be great to get some footage of the area, but i'm not sure how I would keep up with the backpack all the time.  I may have to leave some things at home and just capture what I can with what I got  haha

#10 11-9-2017 4:13 AM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

You'd be a lot safer with someone to watch your back while you focused on working. It sounds like you're flying to the Philippines alone, but you might be able to hire someone once you're there.
I happened upon this travel warning for the Philippines while looking for security options. You might want to leave your expensive gear at home, to prevent drawing attention to yourself.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/a … pines.aspx

Last edited by es1418 (11-9-2017 4:13 AM)

#11 11-9-2017 9:31 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

88lance wrote:

Yes if I have time I will definitely go to El Nido as well.  The problem with storing things is unfortunate, it would be great to get some footage of the area, but i'm not sure how I would keep up with the backpack all the time.  I may have to leave some things at home and just capture what I can with what I got  haha

I think is a good idea to leave some of your things at home. Just take your Go-Pro for underwater shot and camera to captured views. Laptop or tablet , most hotels in Philippines has free wifi

Last edited by shavy (11-9-2017 9:32 AM)

#12 11-9-2017 4:27 PM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Based on my experiences in the Philippines, I'd say you'll be safer in the touristy areas.  If you're in the cities, less touristy areas, people are going to care less about your comfort and well being.  Of course, still keep an eye on your bag in touristy areas, but be extra cautious in cities.  As a westerner, they think you're rich and that you owe them something, so they won't feel bad about stealing from you.  This is of course a massive generalisation, I'm not talking about all Filipinos, just the opportunistic thieves.

#13 11-9-2017 6:03 PM

88lance
Abilene, Texas
Couch Potato

Wow, my travels actually had a stop in western Mindanao.  I believe I will mark that one off, after looking at the map.  lol I thought it had calmed down a lot, but it seems to not be the case. I think the GoPro and my small camera will be sufficient for this trip, along with laptop for editing.  I have some friends from there that I'll be running around with, which will help me out a lot. Hopefully the madness in the south islands calms soon smile

#14 11-11-2017 12:16 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

88lance wrote:

Wow, my travels actually had a stop in western Mindanao.  I believe I will mark that one off, after looking at the map.  lol I thought it had calmed down a lot, but it seems to not be the case. I think the GoPro and my small camera will be sufficient for this trip, along with laptop for editing.  I have some friends from there that I'll be running around with, which will help me out a lot. Hopefully the madness in the south islands calms soon smile

If your trip stop in western Mindanao in Zamboanga is not a problem if you knew someone there you'll be fine. I would not recommend you to go deeper down there as is not very safe.

I have my relatives in Zamboanga, they were evacuated earlier this year to Cebu because of the unrest situtation. Two months ago seems Zamboanga back to its normal sphere, but still, you need to be alert most of the time

Last edited by shavy (11-11-2017 12:17 AM)

Board footer