#1 11-5-2017 7:35 AM

US Travel

We're from the Philippines and we will be in the USA from Dec. 14 to Dec. 23, 2017. Our point of entry is Seattle, Washington. We still don't have our final itinerary but we will be staying for a few days in my friend's house in Seattle and then transfer to Arizona to stay in a relative's house for a few days also. If time permits, we also want to go to Los Angeles, California.

What is the most economical way to go about transportation in between States? If it's via plane, is it better to book now to get good rates? Are there trains in between States?

Also, which is a better route between the two:

Seattle -> Arizona -> California -> Seattle
Seattle -> California -> Arizona -> Seattle

?

Please help. Thanks.

#2 11-5-2017 7:53 AM

Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I

Re: US Travel

Welcome to the US! I hope you enjoy your upcoming visit.

Flights are the only practical way to travel the vast distances involved in your route. The other options (train, bus or rental car) will require you to spend about 40 hours just traveling between your destinations. Also, either of the two routes you described are equally good, in my opinion.
It's definitely better to book now for travel - as in today, if possible. Rates usually start increasing the closer you get to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Tomorrow I'm going to book a flight on December 12th, and I wish I had done it a week ago.

Do you have to return to Seattle at the end of your trip? Can't you just fly back to the Philippines from California or Arizona?

Last edited by es1418 (11-5-2017 7:54 AM)

#3 11-5-2017 8:20 AM

es1418 wrote:

Welcome to the US! I hope you enjoy your upcoming visit.

Thanks!

Don't I need to take heavy snowfall into consideration? I heard that flights are usually delayed during the month of December because of that.

A local forum recommended GreyHound as an inexpensive way to travel but I haven't checked yet how cheaper (and longer travel time, of course) this is compared to flights.

Yes, I do need to return to Seattle because the promo flight we got is to and from Seattle. I know, we should've considered this but it was too late until we realized it so we need to work with what we have.

#4 11-5-2017 1:09 PM

LivLovLaf
PJ
Florida City, Florida
Award: Photographer I
Posts: 13

Re: US Travel

Frontier Airlines has some major deals going on.  Definitely check with this airline.  I found a flight for next week for $45 from Denver to Los Angeles.

#5 11-5-2017 2:58 PM

LivLovLaf wrote:

I just checked but the online deals section doesn't have the flights that we need sad

#6 11-5-2017 4:10 PM

You're welcome.  smile
Seattle is the only place you're traveling where snow may be a possibility. The city usually gets less than six inches of snow all Winter, but already it has received some snowfall, so it might see more snow this year than usual. You shouldn't have to worry about flight delays, though - those happen in places that typically see heavy snowfalls, like Chicago and various cities in the northeast US.

I took a look at Greyhound travel times. They're worse than I thought - they amount to nearly three days of travel. I'm not sure where in Arizona you're headed, so the duration could be even greater:
Phoenix to Seattle (Express): 36 h

Last edited by es1418 (11-5-2017 4:19 PM)

#7 11-5-2017 4:35 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I

Re: US Travel

I would not count on those discount airlines like Frontier. The cost advertised is NOT the final cost. There is a charge for everything except the restroom and if you have bags and need seats together etc. It MAY work out but never as cheap as the advertised flight unless you just fly with a purse. You really don't have much time. Forget L.A. You already lost the 14th. You arrive then and go into the city or wherever to chill. Then you need to go to the airport again in a few days and wastes several hours getting there and waiting and flying. Say you arrive in Arizona on the 18th...how far is family from the airport? 19/20/21 now you have to get back to Seattle. The USA is huge and the western area is vastly farther from place to place compared to say, the northeast where I am. Many closer cities.

#8 11-5-2017 4:38 PM

Re: US Travel

If you try to add in L.A. you are just saying hi and bye and catching planes. No real time with people. And L>A is not just a quick stop place if you don't know the area. It is vast and there is no one "I saw L.A". main area. It is a city with cities so to speak. L.A. is a term meaning more than the city limits of Los Angeles or hollywood. And it is a vast area.

#9 11-5-2017 4:52 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 449

Re: US Travel

Definitely book your planes now.  There is snow in some areas of Arizona (like the Grand Canyon), but rather than try to add LA to the mix, I'd just see some of the US around either Seattle or wherever you are going in Arizona.  You could go down to Portland from Seattle, or up to Victoria Island (Canada).

#10 11-5-2017 5:01 PM

grandmar wrote:

I agree with Rosalie. Forget LA for now, visit your family in Arizona, and enjoy all there is to see in and around Seattle - you could easily spend a month doing that.

Last edited by es1418 (11-5-2017 5:01 PM)

#11 11-5-2017 5:01 PM

Phoenix to Seattle (Express): 36 h

Gotcha! Yeah, I also checked Greyhound and they're even more expensive than a flight.

Sept922 wrote:

Oh ok. Here's our initial itinerary (this is a very draft one) and I'm not sure if it's plausible:

Option 1: Drive to Oregon
    Option 2: Ski with friends

Dec. 18 – Monday

Early morning - arrival in Phoenix, Arizona and stay at relative's house (Wren Dr., Phoenix, AZ)

Dec. 19 – Tuesday

Sta. Monica Beach
    Shop

Six Flags Mountain

Lunch time – departure from Seattle Tacoma International Airport

I've been to LA earlier this year and I agree that it is not just a quick stop place but our goal is mainly just to visit Golden Gate, Hollywood, and Six Flags. What do you think?

#12 11-5-2017 5:14 PM

Re: US Travel

Golden gate???? HUH? The bridge? that is in San Francisco. Your trip is doable sure...but it doesn't sound like a vacation. You are being active and running about. everything planned to the hilt. What if you are having fun and just wanna hang out late? No relaxing time from the running around. I wouldn't but you can do it. There is no room for error or late flights or whatever.  Your trip is sooo much travel...even the Grand Canyon is a 6-7 hour round trip  for you. You also have to see if you can get all your flights when you want at prices you want. But doable.

#13 11-5-2017 5:41 PM

Sta. Monica Beach
    Shop

Six Flags Mountain

Lunch time – departure from Seattle Tacoma International Airport

Is thıs your 1st time purchasıng aır tıckets?

#14 11-5-2017 6:04 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 123

grandmar wrote:

Just to clarify it's Vancouver Island and Victoria is a city on the southern tip. Victoria Island is up in the Canadian Arctic and not really tourist friendly. smile

While Victoria is awesome (I might be biased) and only about a 30 minute flight, I would agree with others it's probably easier and cheaper to spend some extra time around Seattle or hop on a bus to Portland which is one of my favourite cities.

Last edited by NickelP (11-5-2017 7:00 PM)

#15 11-5-2017 7:31 PM

es1418 wrote:

Ok, just as I thought. I'll revise my itinerary and post back for suggestions.

Sept922 wrote:

Oops, you're right, Golden Gate is in Northern CA. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'll see what I can do.

dimmedlights wrote:

Is thıs your 1st time purchasıng aır tıckets?

You mean air tickets within the US? If so, then the answer is yes. This would be my 2nd trip to the US for vacation alone. When I want to SoCal earlier this year (Irvine), it was for work.

But I've been to a couple of countries in Asia and Europe. Why were you asking?

Last edited by kevindd992002 (11-5-2017 7:32 PM)

#16 11-5-2017 7:48 PM

Re: US Travel

Would you guys rather spend most of my time around Seattle or around Arizona? Our main target in Arizona is the Grand Canyon. We haven't started researching yet on places to visit in Seattle but inserting Portland to the mix seems to be a good idea.

We would love to go to Canada too but that requires another visa that we don't have yet. So that's most likely a last resort since December is just a month away and the time is too short to secure documents and get another visa.

#17 11-5-2017 10:06 PM

kevindd992002 wrote:

I understand the desire to visit as much as possible when you travel to a faraway place, but your schedule is so packed that you won’t enjoy your trip. I suggest the following itinerary. You need to go to Seattle and I assume you must go to Phoenix as well, so don't go to LA on this trip. You can enjoy yourself and your friends and family if you visit two locations, but not all three. There's simply not enough time.

Dec. 15 – Friday
Option 2: Ski with friends (around Seattle, I assume)

Dec. 18 – Monday to Dec. 21 – Thursday
Grand Canyon
See sights in and around Phoenix

Dec. 22 - Friday
See more sights in and around Phoenix

Lunch time – departure from Seattle Tacoma International Airport

Last edited by es1418 (11-5-2017 10:14 PM)

#18 11-5-2017 10:40 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 449

Re: US Travel

I don't know how you are getting to the Grand Canyon, but there may be snow there that time of year.  If at all possible, I'd stay overnight there in the park if you can get a place.  The Canyon is best at sunrise or sunset (or both).  So that would be the 20th and 21st, or else the 19th and 20th.

#19 11-6-2017 3:37 AM

kevindd992002 wrote:

Yes. I did a re-assessment and agree with all your comments. I remember how hassle plane trips in between countries in Europe were when I was there.

At this time of the year, will there still be flight sale/promos? Or do I just have to take the plunge and go book using the airline scanners in the Internet?

grandmar wrote:

Most probably by car. Is Grand Canyon not that worth it when it is snowing or are you pertaining to how driving would be hard because of the snow (I never tried driving in snow as I live in a tropical country)?

#20 11-6-2017 4:57 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 119

Re: US Travel

Please also keep in mind that the Grand Canyon is a four-hour drive from Phoenix. I always take my couchsurfers for a day trip, with stops on the Oak Creek Canyon scenic byway to see the red rocks outside of Sedona and the vista lookout just before Flagstaff.

All-in, it's a 12- to 14-hour day depending on how long you spend walking the South Rim, eating, refueling, etc.

#21 11-6-2017 5:01 AM

CMTinPHX wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. We can probably leave very early in the morning.

#22 11-6-2017 8:15 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 127

Sept922 wrote:

Could not agree more. I will never fly Frontier again. What a mess of an airlines.

#23 11-6-2017 8:34 PM

Re: US Travel

Lee Ann I haven't done it and I hope I don't need to. Just looking into getting a ticket of them and Spirit means signing up for something and bringing almost no bags. Maybe good if you are flying somewhere close, and returning in the morning.

#24 11-6-2017 11:50 PM

Re: US Travel

We already booked a round trip ticket from Seattle to Phoenix and the airline is Delta. I hope it's a good of an airline. There are no free check-in baggages too but I guess hand-carry bags are fine (I have to double-check this).

#25 11-7-2017 5:18 PM

Re: US Travel

Delta is about 25-30 per check in bag on domestic flights.  Just check the weight....

Board footer