#1 10-3-2017 7:16 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

Ho Chi Minh City

Hi,

I'll be in Ho Chi Minh City for 4 nights, how should I spend my time there, any recommendations? things like must see places, eating places etc

#2 10-3-2017 7:35 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Ho Chi Minh City

While in HCMC, book a two days trip to Mekong Delta this really is beautiful to see. You stay in a hotel for a night in Can Tho which is included in the tour

Afterwards visit Cu Chi Tunnel, book a half day tour

And for remaining days stroll around HCMC visit the post office building, cathedral and the War Remnants Museum

Eating places, if you stay in Pham Ngu Lao area you'll find a lot of restaurants and most pubs has happy hours in the evening and this really good to take an advantage, all drinks are half of the price

Last edited by shavy (10-3-2017 7:39 AM)

#3 10-3-2017 7:46 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

The War Remnants Museum was harrowing but very interesting - well worth a trip, and more balanced than I expected it to be.  The Reunification palace was interesting too; it's rare to see intact 1960s architecture and the tour was very well done.  Those together take a full day. 

We took the hydrofoil to Bin Chau hot springs (there's only so many war memorials I can cope with in one trip and I chose the museum over the tunnels), and enjoyed it a lot.  The springs are very much aimed at local tourists and it was a good experience.  It is worth pre booking the boat as my husband refused to pre-book it and it was full,  and we ended up having to take an epic and very uncomfortable mini bus home the long way.

#4 10-3-2017 7:50 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

thanks for your prompt feedback Belinda, i'm staying in Ton Duc Thang, Ben Nghe, Quan area, i will start preparing an itinerary soon, I've just come back from Hanoi - love the place, one thing i'm not missing is the constant beep beep - the place is nuts

#5 10-3-2017 7:53 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

thanks Sarah, do you remember the tour operators name you used, or does anyone else know of any reliable tour operators in Saigon

#6 10-3-2017 8:01 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

siank73 wrote:

thanks for your prompt feedback Belinda, i'm staying in Ton Duc Thang, Ben Nghe, Quan area, i will start preparing an itinerary soon, I've just come back from Hanoi - love the place, one thing i'm not missing is the constant beep beep - the place is nuts

Haha yes, the sounds of motorbikes can get crazy big_smile

I see you are staying on the otherside of backpackers area, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby in Ton Duc Thang try Hoang Yen restaurant in a buffet style.

Or walk for 10 minutes or take a taxi to Vincom Center, on the ground floor of the shopping mall are plenty of restaurants. I really like the Japanese restautants inside, is pricey but the food is worth.

Last edited by shavy (10-3-2017 8:16 AM)

#7 10-3-2017 10:12 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

siank73 wrote:

thanks Sarah, do you remember the tour operators name you used, or does anyone else know of any reliable tour operators in Saigon

We did everything independently apart from the reunification palace- as I recall you had to take a tour and we just joined one on the day, and she worked for the palace. The war remnants museum is well sign posted in English, and we traveled independently to Bin Chau as well, hiring a scooter once we got off the hydrofoil. Sorry!

#8 10-6-2017 5:02 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

is it possible to do Mekong Delta and tunnels in one day, or is it best to split it, do Mekong Delta 1 full day

#9 10-6-2017 9:15 AM

mattbechtel71
Matt
Sightseer

siank73 wrote:

is it possible to do Mekong Delta and tunnels in one day, or is it best to split it, do Mekong Delta 1 full day

No. The tunnels are north of the city, the Delta is to the south. The tunnels are a day trip in themselves, although some packages will combine the Tunnels with the Cao Dai holy see, which is also to the north of the city.

Mekong Delta is not really a day trip destination. It takes 4 hours to get from TP.HCM to Can Tho.

#10 10-6-2017 10:12 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Notre Dame Cathedral and the Opera, Cao Dai Temple near the tunnels, The Reunification Palace, Cholon

#11 10-6-2017 1:33 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

siank73 wrote:

Mekong Delta you need one day, if you go for two days with one overnight you will see the floating market

#12 10-13-2017 2:08 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

thanks for all your suggestions, i'm looking forward to my south east asia trip at the end of the year

#13 10-17-2017 12:37 AM

sammalex
Sam
London, England
Couch Potato

Fine Arts Museum and Jade Emperor Pagoda are good options to visit!

Board footer