#1 10-6-2017 8:09 AM

Posts: 39

Cambodia - Phnom Penh

Hi,

I'll planning my Cambodia trip soon, I'll be in Phnom Penh for 4 days 3 nights

how should I spend my time there, any recommendations? must see places, eating places etc

#2 10-6-2017 8:52 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 812

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

In Phnom Penh you should visit Killing fields and Cheong EK museum, a most well-known sights in Phonm Penh. Also visit the palace and Temples, Russian and central market worth to see too

#3 10-6-2017 10:02 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 107

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

Only visit the killing fields and the prison museum if you have a strong stomach, although I can understand the interest for some. I think 4 days in Phnom Penh is way too much. There is a nice area for lunch by the main lake which is quite cheap even by Cambodian standards. If you are thinking about a massage at all, try to find the parlour run by the blind. Best massage I have ever had, better than Ayurvedic or anything the Thais throw at you.

#4 10-6-2017 10:04 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 347

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

The Royal Palace and nearby Sisowath Quay, the National Museum and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum

#5 10-6-2017 12:20 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 142

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

I am absolutely with the earlier posters on this.

The Killing Fields and S-21 are must sees although they come with the caveat that they are extremely hard work.  I served in the Forces for some years and thought I had seen most things but visiting both of these obscenities in one day literally wiped me out to the extent that I would suggest that any Doctor examining me that evening would have diagnosed me with a physically measurable shock.

If your budget runs to it the Foreign Correspondents Club is a great place to go for a sundowner in the evening.  Most people think it is on the Mekong (arguably my favourite river in the world) but it is not.  It doesn't matter, it is a great place but not cheap although it really is superb.

As mentioned above, the markets, especially the "Russian" market are well worth a look round and I would also recommend the National Museum which many travellers seem to miss.  It is worth the visit and the $10US admission fee for the gardens alone, they are superb.

Hope this assists.

#6 10-7-2017 2:55 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1357

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

The Foreign Correspondents club is a nice place to hang out with views of the river.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke … e%E2%80%99

Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 87

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

I would take a minibus trip to all the attractions---Killing Fields, Tuol Sleng school, Russian Market, National Museum, and  Palace. You can return to any of the sites the next day if you feel that you did not see enough.
Spend another day walking by the river, downing a beer or two at one of many bars or restaurants, visit Central Market, Phnom Penh Hill and try the fresh spring rolls at the night market. In my opinion 2 full days are enough.

#8 10-13-2017 2:12 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato
Posts: 39

Re: Cambodia - Phnom Penh

thanks for all your suggestions, i'm looking forward to my south east asia trip at the end of the year

i will visit fcc, cheers

Board footer