#1 9-27-2017 7:59 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 116

Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

I'm usually a big fan of gondola and funicular rides (Whistler, Pilatus, etc.). But I just got some sticker shock to see that the Banff Gondola is C$56 prepaid for an 8-minute ride. And the facility at the top doesn't seem to offer much other than a restaurant, which I would not visit, and a exhibit that appears to be geared toward children. Even the promotional video focuses almost entirely on people admiring the view rather than the view itself.

Has anyone ever been especially over- or underwhelmed by the gondola?

Cheers...

Last edited by CMTinPHX (9-27-2017 8:01 AM)

#2 9-28-2017 5:42 AM

Posts: 70

That price sounds crazy.

#3 9-28-2017 7:45 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1958

Re: Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

I personally wouldn't pay that much for Banff Gondola.
Weather was not nice when I visited there so I may be criticizing with a pinch of salt but still there was not much to see other than the view itself. It was about 30 dollars when I went but still I felt it was very expensive and it was more than enough to visit only once.

#4 9-28-2017 11:07 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5952

Re: Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

Well, the most I've paid was €33- roughly $38US - roughly $55C according to the internet today. That got us a 4.5km ride, to a 2300 high peak rising from not that high over sea level. I think that was worthwhile for the ride, admiring the technology and the amazing view from the summit, which is 360degrees over mountains and the sea in a national park. There were no exhibitions- a cafe, a shop and so on. And of course turkey in summer has a decent chance of sunshine and good views. I thought that was pricey, but worthwhile. So if Banff is higher, longer or a better view I'd say go for it, on a clear day. If it's not, I wouldn't.

#5 9-28-2017 11:18 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 828

Re: Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

The last time I took a gondola was in Christchurch New Zealand, that was well worth the price.

#6 10-3-2017 2:24 PM

melissawong
Melissa
Lausanne, Switzerland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Wanderer
Posts: 250

Re: Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

It's definitely worth the price for me. I remember the view on top is really nice as you get to see the mountains, the town and the hot spring area etc. I enjoyed the short walk to the weather house, found out about the history and took many pictures.

#7 10-3-2017 9:42 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 116

itravel1 wrote:

would'a, could'a, should'a,  three words I don't want to say

Woulda been better off not going. Coulda spent the money on better things during the trip. Shoulda trusted my instincts.

#9 10-6-2017 3:05 PM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 112

Re: Banff Gondola -- Worth the Price?

I don't know about the gondola, but north of Banff there is a Glacier Walk - so worth it. They also have an option to be able to go out on a glacier. We did not have the time for that. You should make reservations to go on it.

http://www.brewster.ca/attractions-sigh … r-skywalk/