#1 10-5-2017 2:40 PM

ellr
Ellie
Birmingham, England
Couch Potato

I got the travel bug....

Heyo dudes, a tl;dr, I want your top 3 places to go in Europe for 4-5days, I like pretty much anything. Probably won't have a car and ideally on a budget (my poor bank account...), I especially like day excursions to dramatic scenery. Will be travelling solo.

I have been to a few places in Europe, Poland, Turkey, Portugal, Spain, Germany. I've had a long break in USA & Canada and the thought of working for a few months without a break makes my heart hurt so I'd love to hear your guys suggestions on what country in Europe to visit and why. I'll be on my own probably and if it makes a difference, I am a female too. Just in case.

I LOOOOVE mountains, I love Lakes and love coasts but I know they tend to be real fuckin expensive so if it's considerably cheaper for me to stay in a city and get s train/tour out for my own lil day excursion then I will! I don't care about weather unless it's going to really impede my travel e.g. A load of snow. No real time of year specified so.

Be as detailed as possible if you don't mind! I know it's a bit vague

Thanks in advance
Ellie

#2 10-5-2017 7:24 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: I got the travel bug....

In the summer you could go to Helsinki - or go to Tallinn and take the ferry over to Helsinki for a visit.

There is of course Switzerland also in the summer and there are lots of lakes in addition to the mountains.

I think eastern Europe (Poland) would be less expensive, but I have not been there, so cannot speak to that

#3 10-5-2017 11:20 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

In western Europe Portugal is quite reasonable, from Lisbon you can do several interesting daytrips like Sintra, Nazare, Coimbra... or from Porto to Braga, Giumaraes, Coimbra of fly to Lisbon and return from Porto.

#4 10-6-2017 5:46 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

If you want mountains & lakes, then try the Balkan regions. Montenegro is stunningly beautiful around the Kotor Bay region, Slovenia has the joys of Lake Bled and Croatia has either Krka or Plitvice. I went to Krka but have been told Plitvice is better. Bosnia for me was a stunning country to travel through. You could then spend a few days in Split along the way, which I felt was really reasonably priced.

If you want cheaper, Eastern the likes of Budapest, Bucharest and Bratislava I have found to be among the cheapest places.

#5 10-6-2017 11:06 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Hmmm, so here is my recommendation:

As you seem to be travelling on a budget, but also like mountains, I would recommend Slovenia. The capital Ljubljana is not exactly cheap, but most other places in the country are still cheaper than any Western European country. Also it is probably easy to fly to Ljubljana from the UK.

Last May I stayed 5 nights in the Hostel Pod Voglom at the Lake Bohinj in the mountains of Slovenia: http://www.pac.si/en

It is located somewhere in the woods and you have loads of nature around you, but the good thing is, that there is a bus stop right in front of the Hostel. It is served by and hourly bus service to Ljubljana (2 h) via Lake Bled (40 Minutes). Lake Bled is indeed very nice, but much more touristy and more expensive than Lake Bohinj.

So you will have enough options for day trips by public transport as well as options for hiking and nature around the place. All this can easily keep you busy for 4-5 days.

I hope this helps.

#6 10-6-2017 12:06 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Macedonia might suit although it is a bit of a trek for such a short time.  Plenty of lakes (Lake Ohrid is stinning as are the mounttains surrounding it) and it is still relatively inexpensive.

Madeira has some lovely coastline but not much in the way of lakes as it is basically a big rock in the middle of the ocean.  You can score pretty cheap flights there especially off-season so it might be worth a look.

Cyprus is again a bit of a trek but with year round cheapo flights (if they have not all gone bust by the time you travel), great for coast and I do love thte Troodos mountains.

Just a few suggestions but I hope they assist.

#7 10-7-2017 4:54 AM

romanian_friend
Romania
Couch Potato

Hi

Another option which is budget-friendly and caters for your preference of mountains would be Romania, in Eastern Europe. It has mountains cutting the country in half and lively cities which are very affordable.

The mountains definitely offer some spectacular views (plenty of gorges, glaciar lakes, wildlife spotting), good hiking and are relatively easy to get to, especially if you arrive in the capital Bucharest (which is relatively cheap compared to other capitals in Europe), Cluj-Napoca or Timisoara.

A particular sight is the Transfagarasan Highway but also there are plenty of UNESCO medieval sights and castles (Sighisoara, Bran (Dracula) and Peles Castle).  Some you can do on your own but for most it's better to hire a car for day trips from major cities.

Another place which is quite unique in Romania the Danube Delta, which is a UNESCO site and the best preserved natural biosphere with thousands of species of plants and animals. But you need planning ahead for this.

#8 10-7-2017 8:07 PM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Pretty much impossible to answer this question.  But from the little bit I have traveled in Europe (only western) I liked Italy and Austria the best.  It all depends on your interests.  Austria is a bit more challenging to get around due to the mountains.  My only suggestion is do not try to go to many different places.  In 4-5 days I would pick two regions/cities close together.  Spend two days per city and maybe one day trip between the two locations.  If you are the kind of person who wants to experience the city/region from a "locals" perspective try find someone on this site  and meet them even for one day.  As interesting as any castle, mountain path, or monument is what makes a city is its people.

#9 10-8-2017 4:47 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Inland Andalusia, in the slight off season. Cheap flight into Malaga, then traveling by bus or train up to Granada (which is in the mountains, amazing architecture, nice little city), Córdoba (the Mezquita is astonishing, the landscape maybe less to your liking) or Seville (again, more of a city break than the countryside). Or find a route that allows you to stay in Malaga and take in the Caminita del Rey, the newly reopened astonishing path along a massive gorge near Malaga itself (although to be honest I don’t know how easy that would be by public transport- it would be an easy google search though) and then up to Tonda to see the bridge and gorge. If you could make that last one work it might meet your requirements best. Not in actual winter when the paths may shut, but out of the main summer season, Malaga can be very cheap because most tourists land there then head for the coast- the city itself and the inland areas can be very affordable. http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/#1

Lonely Planet voted the Scottish highlands one of the most beautiful places on earth, and parts are accessible without a car- more than you’d think, with planning. The Visit Scotland website can be very helpful about bus routes and which places have trains- you can certainly take some stunning rail journeys out of Glasgow and up the west coast towards Oban or Mallaig. It’s not cheap but there are cheap bed and breakfasts if you hunt around, pub food can be very affordable and using Glasgow as your gateway city rather than Edinburgh makes it cheaper (Glasgow is under rated anyway).

#10 10-8-2017 12:39 PM

hillarytaylor78
Hillary
South Carolina, United States
Couch Potato

I second Scotland Highlands you can also do Castle Tours it is an amazing experience living in the past for a short period of time i booked my trip and set out me itinerary with RoutePerfect they have a great trip that blows your mind

#11 10-10-2017 2:02 PM

ellr
Ellie
Birmingham, England
Couch Potato

Thanks guys!!! Much appreciated.

#12 10-10-2017 5:55 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Ronda. Not Tonda. Stupid typing on the phone!

#13 10-15-2017 8:20 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I would consider a Baltic states visit to the cities of Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius with Trakai Castle nearby.

But there are no mountains there...

You could consider Slovenia: Lake Bled and Bohinj are great and there are mountains.

As for beautiful cities: go visit Budapest. Food is cheap, tickets too, hotels average. Loads of low cost flights.

Nowadays Budapest looks a lot better than years ago due to many reconstruction/restoration works, the city centre shines. Also consider the Danube Bend area for scenery. It's best to go in spring or summer, though...

#14 Yesterday 4:41 PM

monkeymia79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Have you been to Ireland yet? (I'm assuming so due to your close proximity.)

Ireland is a stunning place with lots of dramatic scenery. If in Belfast, do a Causeway Coast tour to see the Dark Hedges and the Giants Causeway.

I travelled from Cork up to Belfast via 2 buses and highly recommend their bus system.

Board footer