#1 10-4-2017 10:36 PM

flying_dolphin7
Christine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

non french language speaking working in Paris ?

Hi All

I would like ask is it very difficult to get a job in Paris for non-french speaking ?
Any job agency website that i could find out more information?

language speaking : english, mandarin, bahasa .. limited french

Appreciate all the input n advise, thanks in advance !

Christine

#2 10-5-2017 10:49 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: non french language speaking working in Paris ?

flying_dolphin7 wrote:

Hi All

I would like ask is it very difficult to get a job in Paris for non-french speaking ?

Christine

I think for non English speaking countries you must speak the local language if you applying a job especially in a touristy city like Paris. What kind of job you are looking for?. And also you need to check if your nationality is illegable for working holiday visa

Last edited by shavy (10-5-2017 10:49 AM)

#3 10-7-2017 9:33 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

You should have at least a grasp of the language before trying  to get a job.  Absolutely pointless if you can't communicate with people.

#4 10-8-2017 8:30 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

You may also need a visa.  Working as an au pair might be your best bet.

#5 10-10-2017 2:04 PM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

You might be able to be an interpreter for Mandarin speakers. You can translate Mandarin into English, and a bilingual French speaker can translate from English into  French. I imagine many Chinese visit Paris these days, so your Mandarin proficiency could be useful. It's worth a shot.

#6 10-19-2017 9:53 PM

flying_dolphin7
Christine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

shavy wrote:

flying_dolphin7 wrote:

Hi All

Christine

I think for non English speaking countries you must speak the local language if you applying a job especially in a touristy city like Paris. What kind of job you are looking for?. And also you need to check if your nationality is illegable for working holiday visa

Thanks Shavy,  i'll check on other information and any job's link related.
but neverthelss, speakingi french language would be much helpful.  wink

#7 10-19-2017 9:56 PM

flying_dolphin7
Christine
Sightseer

es1418 wrote:

You might be able to be an interpreter for Mandarin speakers. You can translate Mandarin into English, and a bilingual French speaker can translate from English into  French. I imagine many Chinese visit Paris these days, so your Mandarin proficiency could be useful. It's worth a shot.

Thanks Eric , interpreter would be good idea for it. but of course i need to check others " compulsory required" .. trying learn french using differenet apps, it's help me a lot in reading or understand the word..but  come to speak the language.. my tounge just can't pronounce well LOL

#8 10-19-2017 9:57 PM

flying_dolphin7
Christine
Sightseer

Thanks Kirk & Paul for ya comment , appreciate that.

#9 10-19-2017 10:46 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

But nobody employs two interpreters at once - they'll want someone who can translate straight into French. Why pay two people for the work of one. And it increases the risk of inaccurate translation.

There is no way around learning French - in particular in Paris where people have the reputation of showing little patience towards those who don't speak their language perfectly. Of course this is a cliché. But without language skills, there may be jobs in international companies where English is the common language, but apart from those it will be very difficult to find qualified work.

Do a language class with a real teacher. Start now. It is possible to learn pronunciation, but not from an app. This requires direct correction and interaction from a live teacher. And when you come to France, first thing to do is a month or two in an intensive course at a language school.

You are not mentioning your nationality, so we cannot comment on the legal issues - visa, work permit, EU versus non-EU, and so on.

Last edited by Kathrin_E (10-19-2017 10:52 PM)

#10 10-20-2017 4:37 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

flying_dolphin7 wrote:

es1418 wrote:

Thanks Eric , interpreter would be good idea for it. but of course i need to check others " compulsory required" .. trying learn french using differenet apps, it's help me a lot in reading or understand the word..but  come to speak the language.. my tounge just can't pronounce well LOL

Christine, before taking a teach I would advise searching the 'net for Michel Thomas language courses. To buy they are expensive, but you should be able to find and download them. I've taught myself Spanish with them (enough to easily get by in Cuba and Costa Rica) and I've also downloaded the English courses for French friends here, who are all making great progress. Try it.

Board footer