#1 6-13-2017 12:40 AM

robertt1
Posts: 3

I want to go on holiday in Africa

Hello from me. I want to go with my family to a holiday in Africa. Tell me where to go, I think Tanzania or South Africa. Give me advice? Thanks

#2 6-13-2017 4:23 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 188

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Firstly, WHY do you want to go to Africa? What is it about Africa that makes you want to go there? This may assist us in giving you the best advice.

#3 6-13-2017 4:35 AM

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Following on from Jacobi's helpful prompt, it would also help to know what you are interested in doing, when you are intending to travel and what your budget is so that we can calibrate our responses accordingly.  Some personal information (such as the age of your children and where you come from) would also be useful
Just as an initial comment, South Africa is a much cheaper - and usually more family-friendly - destination than Tanzania.
The more information you provide to us to work with, the more helpful we can be.

#4 6-13-2017 1:17 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad
Posts: 958

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Where in Africa? I only been to South Africa, Swaziland and Lesotho. The rest of African countries aren't really in my wishlist.

I wanted to see Kruger National Park that's why we went to SA. We have less enjoyable trip to South Africa, when the night fall we scared to go out and those big cities like Cape Town and J'bourg is not very comfortable to walk without being alert all the time

#5 6-13-2017 2:37 PM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Interesting topic because I've been to Tanzania but not South Africa, although I have a friend who is over there now. I absolutely loved Tanzania/Zanzibar, for Ngorongoro, Serengeti, and Stone Town. My trip was expensive though, admittedly. My friend that's over there is more of a shoestring traveler and she advised me that she's going to do Krueger in SA for much cheaper (even avoiding the $100 Tanzanian visa fee). Her logic seems legit, looks like a good alternative...but man, Tanzania/Zanzibar was so awesome, especially Zanzibar... unforgettable.

#6 6-13-2017 5:03 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 459

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

I plan to go to Tanzania next year.  Other than that I've only been to Tangier on a day trip

#7 6-13-2017 11:11 PM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 389

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Yes, for family travel, Tanzania and South Africa look like good choices - safari and holiday kind of places. For a lot of other countries in Africa are not about holidays and family travel - they are about adventure, nature, a different 'experience', the romance of the wild, untamed, cradle of humankind... brutalised over time in unimaginable ways and, indeed, full of dangers, diseases and difficulties... but also full of warmth, humanity and pleasant surprises. I am about to go to West Africa - possibly the hardest region in the world to travel in - and it is difficult to say why I want to go there, or what is so nice to see in that region, or why take the risks... I guess that's the undefined charm of what travel is all about...

Last edited by Apurva_N (6-13-2017 11:28 PM)

#8 6-13-2017 11:42 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 958

Apurva_N wrote:

I admire you taken that risk traveling to that places. I'm not adventurous enough to take that risk in my life big_smile

Last edited by shavy (6-13-2017 11:57 PM)

#9 6-16-2017 11:35 PM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1362

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

For a first time visit to Africa I would recommend South Africa. Everything you could want in a holiday destination. Safari, beaches, History, natural beauty.

#10 6-20-2017 1:50 AM

francel
Francel
Brazzaville, Republic of Congo

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Hello, hope everyone is fine. I can advice you to also visit  the Republic of Congo in Central Africa. There is alot of things you can do and see that side. Thank you

#11 6-20-2017 2:51 AM

francel wrote:

With respect, Republic of Congo is a challenging destination even for fairly experienced travellers.  Whilst I do not debate that there are worthwhile things to see and do there, it is probably not the best choice of destination for people who are not used to travelling in the developing world.

#12 6-20-2017 7:00 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 426

#13 6-20-2017 8:16 AM

ulis wrote:

Agree with that!

Gracious, Uli - your map suggests that even you haven't been there.  It must be VERY challenging wink

#14 6-21-2017 1:22 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 426

ulis wrote:

Agree with that!

Visa is to complicated for my taste

#15 6-28-2017 1:05 AM

continentalsafaris
Posts: 8

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Morocco is best if you enjoy beaches ,shopping and trekking.

#16 6-28-2017 1:11 AM

jasminetea

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

I recommend South Africa if it's your first time traveling Africa continent, because they can speak English and it's like mix of African culture and Western culture

#17 8-19-2017 1:40 AM

mutasa
Mutasa
Kampala, Uganda
Posts: 2

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Have you given Uganda a second thought?

#18 10-5-2017 2:53 AM

UnearthExperience
South Africa
Posts: 2

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Robert, Africa is an incredible destination for a family vacation. Both Tanzania and South Africa are great locations and both offer something unique. Depending on how much time you have and your budget, will depend on what you can experience. For example in South Africa, you can enjoy Cape Town, a private game reserve experience in the Kruger National Park (Sabi Sands) and a 2 night stop over at the famous Victoria Falls in either Zimbabwe or Zambia. In Tanzania, you can enjoy the Serengeti, watching the Great Migration, visit the world heritage site of the Ngorongoro Crater and have some time at the beach in Zanzibar.

If you travel correctly, Africa is a safe destination. You need to be vigilant when travelling, although if you stay in reputable accommodation and have your logistics sorted, you won't have any issues what so ever.

#19 10-5-2017 3:26 AM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 23

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

Robert, why don't you create your homepage first, for us to know your interests, experience and plans?

#20 10-6-2017 12:06 AM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 154

Re: I want to go on holiday in Africa

I did an overland tour through Absolute Africa and I absolutely loved my experience.  I can definitely recommend going through them.  They cover most destinations south of the Sahara.  I did the route from Victoria Falls to Cape Town.  It took about a month and it was awesome, I especially loved the deserts of Namibia.  I liked doing the overland tour because there were many parts of Africa that were hard to reach independently.  Even if you rent a car, there are long stretches of road that have nothing, so you're on your own if something goes wrong.

In terms of destination, I loved my experience going from Zimbabwe to South Africa, though people rave more about their experiences in East Africa.  However, East Africa has more visa requirements, and more expensive ones at that.  PM me if you want to know more about my experience if you want to know more about Absolute Africa.

Board footer