#1 10-4-2017 8:50 PM

Posts: 3

South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

Hi Forum,

I am going on a solo 12 + months trip around the world (New Zealand to South America, Central America, North America, Europe, to Asia back to NZ),  in 2018 and I was thinking of starting in July/August leaving from Auckland.

For South / Central America, I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a Tour operator (such as STA Travel or WorldExibition or Gadventure or Eclipsetravel or others) covering the whole trip for about 3 -5 months (multi sport) starting in Patagonia going via Agentina and Chile, Bolivia (side trip to Brazil to experience the amazon river or Paraquay), Peru, Ecador (side trip to Galapagos) finishing in Colombia?
Or the other way around? Unfortunately I have to start travelling around July / August 18 and I am worried due to climate / seasonal conditions (such as Winter in Patagonia) that the timing is not right for some of the countries and tours?

After south america my intention is to travel via Panama through Central America into the USA and Canada from there to Europe 2 months later via Mongolia or Indonesia, Cambodia back to NZ.

12 months might not be enough to cover that much ground I guess but open to suggestions from travel experts.

I am a outdoor person and want to hike, bike, horseride and rock climb during my travels.

For now I would consider South and Central America going via organised / guided tour operator for safety reasons. For the rest of the world I will make my own arrangements I guess.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts what I should consider and maybe anybody as a rough idea how much $$ I should save for the South/Central America plans that would be lovely.

So far I know that an organised trip with STA Travel for 101 days including some meals but all transport and accommodation would be around $NZ 15,500 K that just covers South America (Andes and Patagonia) without Galapagos though.
Any feedback greatly appreciated - Thank you
Cheers
diana

#2 10-6-2017 10:20 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 143

Re: South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

Only been to Costa Rica and if you can count it Cuba in Central America and you can see both without organisers or agencies. Easier obviously if you speak Spanish. 6 weeks in Costa Rica cost us around 6000€ but that included the air fare from Europe, so it's not cheap. We didn't stay in dustbins but no 5* hotels neither. We found meals cost roughly the same as in Europe unless you eat only rice every night. Cuba is very similar price-wise.

#3 10-6-2017 1:48 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

Personally speaking, you really don't need an organize tours for Central and South America, you can easily do it by yourself if you want to. If you have money for organize tours which is double cost than doing independently you should look for local tours they are at least cheaper than those you find on internet

#4 10-6-2017 4:42 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17615

Re: South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

I've spent a total of about 18 months travelling in Latin America.

No need to do an organised tour, certainly not for a long period of 101 days. Though that price is not extreme. About €9,000, US $10,500. Though it seems from what you say it does not include Brazil.

It is not the safest region in the world but it is not as bad as some people make out. You do need to be careful, particularly at night and particularly in big cities. I would avoid or spend as little time as possible in big cities. Except Rio and Salvador in Brazil snd Buenos Aires in Argentina. These are absolute must sees. Cartagena in Colombia too.

I would learn as much Spanish as possible beforehand and definitely consider enrolling in an intensive Spanish course for at least a couple of weeks on arrival. Some knowledge of Portuguese in Brazil very hèlpful too. Written language very similar to Spanish but spoken it is quite different.

You could do short organised tours in certain places eg trip into Amazon.

I would just do what I did, fly somewhere and just make it up as you go along. If you like somewhere, stay. If not, move on.

#5 10-8-2017 2:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

After the research and what you said I have decided to only book in advance the Jungle Amazon tour, Maccu Pichu in Peru and Patagonia
I will do the rest as I go on my own finding bus and accommodation on the way

I will get onto a Spanish intensive course 3 months before departure :-)

Any suggestions on bus passes or a bus network I should look into? Any websites you guys recommend?

#6 10-8-2017 2:17 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist
Posts: 129

Re: South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

I just got back from a 3 week solo trip in Peru. I used a combination of Peru Hop (they also have Bolivia Hop if you are going to/coming back from La Paz) and Cruz del Sur. Both were awesome. You can find cheaper but I liked the safety aspect of both of these.

I met quite a few solo female travellers going through South America just planning as they go so you should be able to make friends and find fellow travellers to join in with as you go.

#7 10-8-2017 2:55 PM

Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: South American experts here using organised Travel organisations?

The links below maybe useful of finding bus schedule. I traveled extensively to South America, and all done independently. Is easy traveling by bus crossing borders and etc. I'm going soon to Colombia for the first time and looking forward to this trip

Board footer