#1 9-29-2017 3:38 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 167

You get what you pay for.

I used to use cheapo airlines in the past and then, after a series of very unpleasant personal experiences with three of them I decided never again.

On another sadly demised travel website which was recently sacrificed on the altar of corporate greed I was regularly castigated by other members as is their absolute right (corporate greed will be a theme here).  They had bought into the idea of cheap is great, albeit that everything apart from your body on an unallocated seat is extra.  Fair enough.  I am not just jumping on a bandwagon here as I have personally suffered (I use the word advisedly) with Lyingair (Ryanair), Sleazyjet (Easyjet) and Swizzair (Wizzair).  I am quite prepared to give the full details privately if anyone wants to contact me here but the general membership does not need to be bored by them.

Now that Lyingair have destroyed tens of thousands of family holidays, wrecked overseas weddings, left families hugely out of pocket having to find their own way home, stuck two fingers up at the CAA (our toothless airline regulatory body), cleverly cancelled flights in a timeframe within which they have to pay no compensation etc. etc. I think my case is somewhat proven albeit it gives me no pleasure at all to post this here.

It has long been known by anyone with anyone with any travel savvy that Michael O'Leary, the odious creature that styles himself as the Fuhrer of Ryanair has not the slightest regard for passengers, that much was obvious as I attempted to sleep on a foyer floor of a closed freezing Northern German airport amongst distressed mothers and toddlers and elderly people with no toilet facilities and not even so much as a water tap for refreshement.  That is disgusting but when he treats his staff the same way, including his pilots who are apparently leaving in droves, then he is going nowhere, literally and metaphorically.  No doubt he will be able to console himself with the £700+ million he has creamed from a gullible public.  Personally, I'll pay a little more for a proper airline.

I find gloating a distasteful character trait but would anyone like to put their head above the parapet now and defend Ryanair, the supposed superstars of cheapo flights and tell me I was wrong?

#2 9-29-2017 4:11 PM

Re: You get what you pay for.

Years ago i was already waiting at the gate with everyone else when Ryan canceled the flight (Italy to Slovakia, but there was a strike in France and it was appearently more profitable to send this plane to other airports), next plane 3 days later, no information or help whatsoever. But i collected every bill and got the money 2 month later...

#3 9-29-2017 5:07 PM

Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: You get what you pay for.

I flying with Ryanair in different occasion, so far can't complain anything. Is true you get what you pay for.

#7 9-30-2017 1:09 AM

Re: You get what you pay for.

You can get unpleasant surprises also with regular airlines. I had booked Turkish Vienna to Bangkok and back from Osaka, 1 day before my flight to Bangkok i got a e-mail Osaka to Vienna is canceled, i did spend then about 3 hours with some quite incompetent persons on the phone with no result, went finally to their office (i live luckily not too far away), got finally resheduled with several changes of planes, but only on a strange looking printout and no confirming e-mail. Didn't see then a Turkish office in Bangkok or Osaka (but it was ok).

#8 9-30-2017 3:16 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5999

Re: You get what you pay for.

Coming from a region of the UK rather than the capital, some of this is get what you pay for but some is take what you can get.

Ryanair and Easy Jet, and especially Jet Two, are often the only airlines running direct flights from the North of England.  If your choice is a single 2 hour flight, point to point, that costs £40, or transferring through Heathrow, Schippol or Paris on a flag carrier, two separate 1.5 hour flights, 2-3 hours sitting in the transfer airport, and £150 all told, it's a very clear decision to risk the less reliable airline. Although in fairness Jet two have always been excellent. And oddly, in Manchester we're actually very well served for long haul, via Turkish or Emirates - it's the short to medium haul that it can be budget-or-no one for.

If we're talking direct flights I'll happily pay a small premium to fly with a nicer airline, but if it's three times the cost and twice the number of flights I'll gamble my chances.

*and before anyone suggests I just take a train to London you'd be adding another £100 at least for train and transfers, probably far more.

Last edited by sarahelaine (9-30-2017 3:17 AM)

#9 9-30-2017 7:05 AM

CMTinPHX
Christopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 121

Re: You get what you pay for.

I've never flown Ryanair (though many of my couchsurfers seem to like it), but I did have nightmarish experiences with Norwegian and WestJet (both transatlantic, not short-haul).

You cannot operate an 8-hour flight the same way you might operate a 2-hour flight. There needs to be a certain minimum threshold of comfort and service for long-haul, and the discount carriers can't seem to hit the mark.

Last edited by CMTinPHX (9-30-2017 7:07 AM)

#10 9-30-2017 7:13 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 73

Re: You get what you pay for.

I've never had a problem with EasyJet, but I have always disliked Ryanair, even before the latest fiasco. But living near Heathrow we often pay a bit more to fly from there as using EasyJet can mean having to get to Luton or Stanstead, which is a right pain. But we certainly do consider, and sometimes use, EasyJet out of Gatwick. And I have to say they were great when we took my disabled mother-in-law to France some years ago, and also with me when I had to return from Marrakesh with my foot in a cast!

#11 9-30-2017 10:13 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 58

sarahelaine wrote:

I was going to write exactly that! From Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow have some good connections with Turkish, Qatar and Emirates, but within Europe I usually have to rely on Wizzair, Easyjet or Ryanair to get me there, or take the dreaded nightbus down to London and fly from there. I've never had an issue with Wizzair and they fly to some interesting places so I will definitely fly with them again. Easyjet is usually more enjoyable than Ryanair to fly with, but they've let me down quite a lot, especially on the Gatwick-Edinburgh route...but then again I've had the same problem with British Airways.

Ryanair I don't like...but as much as I don't enjoy the Ryanair experience, they've always got me to where I want to go with little or no delay. However with the current Ryanair chaos, I would think twice about choosing them if another airline can do it direct. But the key word is choice, and unfortunately from here there often isn't one.

Last edited by maykal (9-30-2017 10:13 AM)

#12 10-1-2017 8:28 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: You get what you pay for.

This year I have been in Morocco/Cyprus/Italy/Spain(mainland)/Germany/Portugal/Swiss/ and Mallorca(Spanish island). I did a lot of flying around and avoided Ryanair/Easyjet and any other ultra cheapy like the plague. I had good experience with TAP (tight seats) , Vueling (tight seats) , Royal Air Maroc..the best seats of my trips...Alitalia..(decent seats)..and Aegean Air (impressed).

#13 10-1-2017 8:56 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17618

Re: You get what you pay for.

Even less competition now for those based in UK:

Monarch flights cancelled as airline ceases trading - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

From Dublin, for European destinations, Ryanair and Aer Lingus are usually the only options.  They probably have over 40 percent of the market each. To European destinatons east of Germany, Ryanair often only choice. I often choose Aer Lingus, even if about up to €20 dearer. But price is not the only factor. Convenient flight times are an important factor for me and I often choose flight on which airline offer most convenient flight times. Sometimes, I fly one way with one airline and back with the other...

I've never had any problems with Ryanair, and I have flown with them very often. I have had two flights cancelled by Aer Lingus, one by their decision, once due to circumstances beyond their control. They dealt pretty well with both cancellations offering free hotel accommodation and rebooking.

My experiences with other airlines who have cancelled flights or where flights have been delayed  (rare occasions for me, so far) have not been good.  Dreadful in the case of Alitalia.

#14 10-1-2017 9:05 PM

Sept922
Posts: 1673

Re: You get what you pay for.

I was so lucky in 9 weeks of flying in the Med region I had no real delays or cancellations........I guess I lucked out!

#15 10-3-2017 1:09 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1978

Re: You get what you pay for.

I only been flying with Norwegian, air baltic and wizz air for short haul and luckily has no problem so far and enjoy the experience. Ops.. I flew one time with Norwegian on their long haul flight from Copenhagen Denmark to USA and no problem either, it was on time and decent seat for the 10 hours flight.

I agree, you get what you pay for.

#16 10-3-2017 2:42 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 118

Re: You get what you pay for.

As I live quite close to Dortmund in Germany, I have used Wizzair numerous times to many places in Eastern Europe. Many of the places I have flown to with them aren't served by any other airlines from my region or by only VERY expensive business flights with a change of planes in a major hub.

I think the budget airlines have also opened a new travel world to us: I don't think it was possible to fly to places like like Targu Mures (RO), Timisoara (RO), Cluj-Napoca (RO), Tuzla (BiH) or Poznan (PL) at all before.

I have also used Ryanair and easyjet quite a few times and usually only use them if there is no better alternative regarding price AND flight times. I actually never had any problems with any of these, but must say that I always kept to their rules and regulations (no wonder, as I am a German *winkygrin*).

#17 10-4-2017 8:59 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 144

Re: You get what you pay for.

I've used Ryanair from Dinard to Stansted and back a few times and just used Easyjet for Paris/Lisbon and back with no problems, except of course the loonies that MUST have their bags with them and create all hell when told to put them in the hold (even free).

#18 10-8-2017 6:07 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 113

Re: You get what you pay for.

I nearly always try to find the cheapest flight but sometimes prepared to pay a little more for security. Last year we flew to Brisbane from Manila and all flights arrived at Sydney first. We had the opportunity of flying with Cebu Pacific to Sydney for 7000 pesos but chose to fly with Qantas for about 20,000 pesos including the connecting flight to Brisbane. If the Cebu Pacific fight was late we may have missed our connection and probably would have to cough up a lot more.
We had a Jetstar flight out of Melbourne to Manila via Singapore. We arrived at the airport 3 hours ahead of our 11 am departure and checking the flight info screen we discovered it was delayed until 1 pm, but low and behold, right then as i was watching the screen the flight was suddenly changed to 2 am the next morning. Luckily the airline put us on a Qantas flight to Singapore and we made the connection to Manila. I felt sorry for a young student who was flying to Hong KLong via Singapore because his connecting flight was not with Jetstar they never put him on the Qantas fllight. He was told to wait until 2 am but then he would have lost his connecting flight with Tiger air and forced to purchase another ticket. Six months ago i could not refuse a promo offer with Jetstar to Japan, but fortunately the flights to and from Japan left on time.
I am flying to Sri Lanka in February, Manila Bangkok Colombo with Thai Air for about 23000 pesos. Could have gone for about 16000 return using Airasia and Malindo but that was somewhat risky if the budget airlines were late. So sometimes it puts your mind at rest by paying a little more

#19 10-8-2017 11:15 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1084

Re: You get what you pay for.

I've flown with Ryanair and thought it was quite alright apart from one of the AirSteward who was throwing tantrum like a kid.

I once flew with TigerAir from Melbourne to Gold Coast. The flight was brought forward an hour early but I didn't get any notifications. Luckily I was at the airport very early that day as I had nothing to do and decided to go for an early check-in - only to find out that I was actually just on time for my flight.

With AirAsia, the flight was delayed by about an hour but on the screen it was shown as "boarding now". Everyone crowded the boarding area but no explanation given. To make things worse, passengers from another budget airline were also using the same boarding gate so it was really chaotic. When our gate was finally open, everyone just dashed through. The Crew did not even make announcement giving priority to senior citizens and children. Fedup with the situation, I was right next to the crew and made the announcement myself!

I feel it's not the plane itself, but rather the people, or how the airport handles it. The planes, to me, are acceptable. I could be paying a few hundred extra for a regular airline who offers snacks that you don't need and maybe 5cm extra leg room. Not worth it at all. As for the hand carry, all airlines have to adhere to the same rules, no?

For short distance, it doesn't seem worth it to be paying full fair for regular airlines that don't offer much benefit.

#20 10-9-2017 8:15 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 134

Re: You get what you pay for.

Part of the problem is that not all 'airlines' are listed as business as airlines. Instead they are listed a cargo carriers. That is why their fares are so low. It is also why do the not have the same culpability if they choose not to fly at the last minute, for whatever reason. A AAA travel agent told me about this. It is why I don't go for the cheap fares. They are not cheap if you end up having to fork out for a last minute flight to get there or home again.

#21 10-10-2017 1:11 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Posts: 167

Re: You get what you pay for.

I am not sure what the situation is in the USA but I am sure that all passenger carriers in Europe have to be registered as such.  All the airlines I mentioned are European registered as far as I know.

#22 10-10-2017 5:59 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5999

Re: You get what you pay for.

The European budget carriers are passenger carriers and are bound by EU regulations on compensation for delays and other cock-ups. Even Ryanair- it spends a lot of time trying to appeal EU legal decisions, as in when it tries not to compensate for the delays caused by the volcano in Iceland, and it always failed. I can’t speak about any other jurisdiction of course.

#23 10-10-2017 6:06 PM

Posts: 84

Eu regulatıons , yes.

#25 10-10-2017 10:51 PM

sarahelaine wrote:

Ryan did pay me in that event (volcano in Iceland) after 2 months everything they where supposed to pay (of course i had to show the bills)

Last edited by ulis (10-11-2017 2:15 AM)

Board footer