#1 9-5-2017 5:09 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Zagreb, Belgrade or Sarajevo?

I'm thinking of travelling to one or two of these in September, have any members visited either of these cities? I am read that Belgrade has good nightlife, but I'm not fussed about that. More interested in sightseeing and nice good laid back atmoshere

I have two weeks spare and will probably spend a week relaxing in Split or Hvar - then a week traveling between the others, if feasible.

Last edited by StevieP (9-5-2017 5:10 AM)

#2 9-5-2017 5:24 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Zagreb, Belgrade or Sarajevo?

I did prefere Sarajevo (with a possible stopover in Mostar) and Zagreb (possible stopover at thePlitvice lakes), also transportation between Split and Hvar to Belgrad is not the best

#3 9-5-2017 7:52 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Never been to Sarajevo, but Belgrade is much more beautiful than Zagreb.  Plenty of sights to see inside and outside Belgrade city, and the food is good and cheap.  Second Ulis on Mostar, it was very nice small city.

#4 9-5-2017 7:54 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I haven't been to Belgrade and Sarajevo, but I've done Mostar crossing from Croatia. Split is beautiful city and possible to visit Pletvice lake from there. Kotor is absolutely recommended if you are in the area, but I don't know how easy to get there with public transport, we rent a car while we're in Croatia

Last edited by shavy (9-5-2017 9:35 AM)

#5 9-5-2017 9:31 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

it was easy with public transport, since I done it before from Croatia, Bosnia, Kotor, Albania, and up til Belgrade.
Book your bus or train ticket when you arrive in the hotel.

#6 9-5-2017 9:44 AM

mattbechtel71
Matt
Sightseer

gingerbatik wrote:

Belgrade is much more beautiful than Zagreb.

Well that's an opinion I never thought I'd read.

#7 9-5-2017 11:00 AM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I have been to all three of them and my favourite of these is Sarajevo. Nevertheless Zagreb and Belgarde are very nice as well. - It is just that Sarajevo has a different atmosphere and is already located in a slightly different world, if you understand what I mean.

#8 9-5-2017 11:16 AM

Black_wind
Martina
Bratislava, Slovakia
Couch Potato

Sarajevo, most definitely......nothing like that anywhere else in Europe.

#9 9-5-2017 12:22 PM

gingerbatik
Explorer

mattbechtel71 wrote:

gingerbatik wrote:

Belgrade is much more beautiful than Zagreb.

Well that's an opinion I never thought I'd read.

ha..ha.. yes.. I like Belgrade more:)

#10 9-6-2017 2:55 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Thanks all, what's a good amount of days to explore these cities, maybe I could fit two on three in over a week? Do they take Euros in Sarajevo or Belgrade? Seems the Bosnian Mark is hard to acquire here in London.

Also, if we go to Belgrade, I was told of a province called Vojvodina, has anyone been?

#11 9-6-2017 7:03 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Don't change in London, exchange rates are better in these countries, exept probably at the airport (change there only 5 or 10 pound, this will get you into town), and change Bosnian Mark only when in Bosnia and get rid if it before you leave, lots of money changers around. Paying with Euro will make your trip more expensive.
Have only passed trough Vojvodina, it used to be Austro Hungarian until 1918 (and until 1945 a big part of the population Hungarian and German speaking), the older buildings in towns will be mostly in the Austrian Baroque style, and of corse communist time concrete buildings (Plattenbauten)

Last edited by ulis (9-6-2017 7:16 AM)

#12 9-6-2017 3:33 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Of the three, Sarajevo would be my first choice by far. It's a must. And can be combined with Mostar, which is a must too.

Zagreb and Belgrade to me are worth a visit if passing by but nothing really special. 

As for money, I just use ATM's..

#13 9-7-2017 7:55 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Thanks Uli & Francis.  We are now definitely going to Sarajevo with a trip to Mostar hopefully whilst there.

Whilst in Split, I am interested in visiting the Kastela, has anyone been? And Lake Plitvice is around a 2.5 hour drive, Krka National Park seems to be around 1 hour, which is the better of the two?

#14 9-7-2017 8:27 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

Kastela is a rather touristy strip which did grow without much planing between the airport and Split. There are a few fortifications but nothing unusual on this coast. Trogir and Spit are much more interresting. Accomodation might be cheaper in Kastela, Split city bus 37 runs between Split, Kastela, airport (outside) and Trogir quite frequent. Haven't been to Krka National Park.

#15 9-7-2017 8:32 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

The Muzej (museum) Grada Kastela might be interresting. If you use a rental car, from Split to Mostar the costal road until Ploce is much more interresting then the motorway (but also much slower).

Last edited by ulis (9-7-2017 8:37 AM)

#16 9-7-2017 9:53 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

StevieP wrote:

Thanks Uli & Francis.  We are now definitely going to Sarajevo with a trip to Mostar hopefully whilst there.

Whilst in Split, I am interested in visiting the Kastela, has anyone been? And Lake Plitvice is around a 2.5 hour drive, Krka National Park seems to be around 1 hour, which is the better of the two?

I visited both of the parks - Krka is smaller than Plitvice with less walking routes and also is cheaper for entrance fee

Plitvice is much bigger with variety of walking trails that you can follow from 2 hours to even 8 hours

The big difference with Plitvice and Krka is actually runs around one waterfall, while Plitvice has several emerald green lakes and small waterfalls.

Krka is very popular as you can swim in the lower lake near the falls

Last edited by shavy (9-7-2017 9:58 AM)

#17 9-7-2017 7:26 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

I haven't yet visited any of these nations, but I intend to in the next couple of years. Thanks to everyone who is posting their information, it's very helpful.

#18 9-11-2017 4:47 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

#19 9-13-2017 5:35 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Ah your advice and guidance would be most welcome Natalie

#20 9-14-2017 2:50 PM

mattbechtel71
Matt
Sightseer

StevieP wrote:

I sailed out of Kastela last year. I can't say there's anything of interest on land there. Trogir and Split are far more interesting than the Kastela area.

I have not been to Krka, but in talking to others who had been, some loved it and some were indifferent. Everyone enjoyed Plitvice, although some still preferred Krka because you can actually get into the lakes there.

#21 10-4-2017 5:14 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Hi all,

Just appreciate all the advice on here. I ended up seeing loads of fabulous and interesting places, with a bit more efficient planning I could have added to the trip and maximised my trip away. I didn't like Dubrovnik where I ended up last!

Board footer