#1 8-15-2017 10:02 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

12 days in Thailand, where to go?

Hi,

I'm looking forward to taking a trip to Thailand this year - I'll have 12 days + the 2 fractional days at the extremities (arrival and departure days).

Where should I go? I have a few ideas, as I've been eyeing Thailand for many years.

So far I calculated I could visit 4 places - I like traveling slowly to see the places and relax as well. I don't like to rush it:

1) Bangkok (at least 4 full days)
2) Ayutthaya (day trip from Bangkok)
3) Krabi (plan staying 3 full days)
4) UNDECIDED: most likely 1 day in Kanchanaburi, but I'm also considering Sukhothai, Chiang Mai

My aim is to see beautiful places, stunning scenery, temples, great cityscapes, anything that's beautiful!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance wink

#2 8-15-2017 10:15 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: 12 days in Thailand, where to go?

Number 1,2 and 3 looks a good plan. Kanchanaburi can be done a day trip, part of an excursion from Bangkok

Number 4 - Sukothai and Chiangmai looks a good idea

Without back track you can visit Sukothai on your way to Chiang Mai. Sukhothai is conveniently located on the route. A train from BKK goes to Phitsanulok and then a bus to Sukothai takes about an hour, you can go further to Chiangmai by bus. Rent a bike is the easiest way to explore the temples in Sukothai

Last edited by shavy (8-15-2017 10:25 AM)

#3 8-15-2017 10:20 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

^
I would love to visit Sukhothai and Chiang Mai as well, but I think it would be a bit time-consuming for both. I checked some flights from Bangkok to Sukhothai (the airport there operates just a few flights per day) and then I'd probably have to take a long bus trip to Chiang Mai...

I am trying to put together a trip in such a way that it includes many different types of destinations: dense forest (Kanchanaburi), big city with many attractions (Bangkok), exotic island with beautiful scenery (Krabi)...

I'm just not sure about Kanchanaburi... if I go there, I'd probably like to stay there for a night.

Thank you for your response and ideas wink

#4 8-15-2017 10:43 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

4 - days BKK included a day trip to Ayutthaya

4 - days Chiangmai with 1 night in Sukothai. You can fly from Chiangmai to Krabi, check the low cost airline Airasia https://www.airasia.com/en/home.page?cid=1

3 days Krabi

1- day traveling back to BKK for departure. If you have extra days, it maybe for BKK. Is your trip you can decide whatever you do big_smile

Last edited by shavy (8-15-2017 10:47 AM)

#5 8-15-2017 10:58 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

^
Hey, that's an interesting route and didn't think of! Thank you for sharing wink

Have a great day! big_smile

#6 9-20-2017 4:15 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Well, you have decided to go to popular tourist places. How about visiting some of the out of the way places where you will enjoy it more and see how the locals live. Please search the following
Umphang---a great place in the jungle with wonderful trekking and waterfall
Cave Lodge at Soppong where you can go caving
Mae Sariang, Ma Hong Songin the NW
Prachuap Khiri Kan in the south where there are few tourists, great seafood and wonderful beach
Si Ratcha, 20 kms north of Pattaya where there is accommodation on stilts over the water and you can take an overnight trip to nearby island, Ko Si Chang, 5kmsX1 km and lots to see.

#7 9-20-2017 4:26 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Try to fit in Chiang Mai if possible. Maybe shave off a day in bangkok

#8 9-22-2017 3:46 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

It very much depends on what you wish to see and do. 

As a very general rule of thumb (and it is general I know) if you want beaches and islands head South, and if you want forests and mountains head North (all from BKK obviously).  If you decide to go South, I thoroughly endorse my friend Dave's suggestion of PKK, it is a great place, Cha-am is also worth a look.

If you hed North I would recommend Chiang Mai, Ching Rai and a place called Lampang which seems to be completely overlooked by travellers but is a great place to stay.  It is pretty quiet but the atmosphere is tremendous.

Hope this assists,

Fergy.

#9 9-23-2017 10:21 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

In my opinion you  must see
Pattaya    2-4 Days
Krabi   3 Days
Bangkok   2-3 Days
Other days between

Phuket  or Koh Samuei or Ching mai

#10 10-1-2017 9:21 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

I think Bangkok needs a good 3-4 days.... Ayutthaya is a great day trip....Krabi I LOVE....just relax...don't try to do it all. This is a place you WILL return to if you love it like many do!

#11 10-3-2017 2:41 AM

nainaseth
naina
Couch Potato

Try to include Koh Samui in your itinerary. It is less crowded than Pattaya and Krabi.... Absolute love. But yeah, at the same time, don't make it too hectic for you. When I was in Thailand, I ended up rushing between airports.

#12 10-4-2017 4:56 AM

abines
Tehran, Iran
Couch Potato

davejo wrote:

Well, you have decided to go to popular tourist places. How about visiting some of the out of the way places where you will enjoy it more and see how the locals live. Please search the following
Umphang---a great place in the jungle with wonderful trekking and waterfall
Cave Lodge at Soppong where you can go caving
Mae Sariang, Ma Hong Songin the NW
Prachuap Khiri Kan in the south where there are few tourists, great seafood and wonderful beach
Si Ratcha, 20 kms north of Pattaya where there is accommodation on stilts over the water and you can take an overnight trip to nearby island, Ko Si Chang, 5kmsX1 km and lots to see.

this is helpful thank you

#13 10-7-2017 10:38 AM

Geng19_
Sarayoot
Bangkok, Thailand
Couch Potato

4 days in Bangkok by and the rest you choose the north or the south of Thailand.

#14 10-8-2017 5:44 AM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Just like to add, choose Sukhothai or Ayuttaya as they are both historical places and rather similar. In your case i would choose Ayuttaya on a day trip from Bangkok.
Any chance of flying in to Chiang Mai and then take a cheap AirAsia flight to Krabi. Then save the last few days for Bangkok where you can see the attractions and pick up some souvenirs.VIP nightbus from Krabi to Bangkok will save you some valuable time.

#15 10-11-2017 12:09 AM

traveller93
Couch Potato

I can recommend Koh Samui for sure! Nice beaches and mostly important... clean ones

#16 10-25-2017 11:06 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

^
I had to give it up this time and have traveled elsewhere instead.

I didn't take this trip due to the major dengue fever outbreak currently in Southeast Asia.

#17 10-30-2017 1:47 AM

patrickjake
Couch Potato

If you know nothing about Thailand buy the Lonely Planet guide book.

Work out your own trip and come back here with specific questions.

#18 11-28-2017 6:08 AM

ryanltzw
Leo
Singapore
Couch Potato

Not sure if you've already gone or not, but if you're in Bangkok, you could check out their local Chinatown for great food, Chatuchak for the weekend markets, Talad Rod Fai Ratchada for their indie night market (Thurs to Sun), Platinum Mall area for cheap shopping or Khao San Road for the nightlife and is known for being a popular tourist venue. Not too sure about Krabi as I've never been there personally. Mainly Phuket and Bangkok only.

Board footer