#1 9-30-2017 6:40 AM

Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

I'm looking at doing a solo trip to the Galapagos in a few months...perhaps January or February. My thought is to fly to Guayaquil, then on to Baltra or San Christobal (Galapagos), then see what kind of lodging/tours/boats are available.

Any experiences, advice or recommendations?

#2 9-30-2017 7:57 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Hi, Galapagos is great.

You will need to book the accommodation for at least one night as it is requiered  to fill in your Galapagos card and without it, you will be question by the immigration.  You will also need a return flight ticket.

Last time I only booked 3 days stay in the hotel in Baltra and then can easily extend my stayed.  There are plenty of hostels or guest houses there. so no worry.  I was there during high season. Stayed for 15 days in Galapagos.

You can fly in to Balta and fly out from San Cristobal island.

You can do your own islands hopping yourself but you would not see much of the nature. Several days cruising is the best  way to see the nature and animals but it is expensive.

Hotel and food itself very cheap if you are not fussy.

#3 9-30-2017 7:59 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

gingerbatik wrote:

Hi, Galapagos is great.

You can fly in to Balta and fly out from San Cristobal island.

Hotel and food itself very cheap if you are not fussy.

Good to know

#4 9-30-2017 8:01 AM

Re: Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

Yes you can easily flying to Galapagos island without booking anything in advance. If you are flexible you'll find last minute cruise

There are daily flights from Guaquil to Baltra and catch the shuttle outside Baltra airport is only 30-45 minutes to Puerto Ayora. Arriving in Galapagos airport there is an invironmental fee of 100$

Check these airlines Tame https://www.tame.com.ec/index.php/es/ Erogal http://www.aerogal.com/

Hopefully you find a last minute for a reasonable price, we book our lastminute in Quito which cost us a fortune. But ya, Galapagos is not a budget island

#5 9-30-2017 8:25 AM

Re: Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

It is not necessarily to book your accommodation in advance, an American guy seating on the plane with us he borrow my lonely planet to check a name of a hostel as he doesn't have a room booked in advance, he just filling the arrival card with hostel he found on my book and when he arrives in island he walks around looking for cheap hostels/ guesthouse. The cheapest guesthouse he found cost only 50 dollar

Last edited by shavy (9-30-2017 8:27 AM)

#6 10-1-2017 6:51 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

Thanks for the information guys! The story about borrowing a guidebook to get a hotel name is funny.

#7 10-1-2017 7:30 AM

milestx wrote:

Lol, some travelers are realistic and I like that.

The thing is, some hostel or guesthouses in Galapagos haven't had a website or publish on the internet. If you walk around you'll see local homes where sign outside 'room for rent' and this kind of accommodation is cheap. No street food in Galapagos only restaurants, you will noticed prices of drinks and food are expensive than the mainland

If you go on cruise food and drinks are included but only non alcoholic drinks. So you might take your beer onboard. There's a few supermarkets in the island where you can buy beers

#8 10-2-2017 2:50 AM

Re: Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

We stayed in the hotel booked through booking.com and it cost usd 35 per night for 2 without breakfast.
The room was clean, with private ensuite bathroom and air condition, just behind the main beach street area where many restaurants and shops which was handy.

We wondered around and found a guesthouses nearby which cost usd 15-20 per night.
However my buddy does not want to move there since he was diving and do not want any hassle to move stuff around.

We also found a street food along the Charles Blinford, where there are many small shops with the chairs outside like a night market (they have this everyday).
We had bbq mix which consist of one whole fish, mix bbq meat, vegetables and rice which cost usd 25 for the two of us.

I thought food in Galapagos is very cheap - but I supposed it depend what is consider cheap to other people.
In the morning we had breakfast which cost around usd 5-7 per person for american breakfast with tea or coffee or a Galapagos breakfast (i Love the galapagos breakfast which is very interesting and yummy).

Lunch cost around usd 10-15 per meal per person.
And dinner also similar.   Some restaurant near the beach front charge usd 25-30 per meal.
I thought for the place which is famous for being " expensive", it was very cheap and resonable.

The day tour or cruise is the most expensive thing to do in Galapagos.  Most day trip charged around usd 250-350 per person.
We cruise for 5 days with a luxuary cruise ship and it cost a fortune, however we see many things and the food was fantastic like eating in the expensive restaurants, plus they provided snacks and refreshment everytime we come back from the excurtion, and coktails before dinner.
We have all drinks included as we stayed in their suite room, whereas normal room have to pay for their drinks, and only free water, tea or caffee while cruising.

I suppose it probably depend of the cruise company.

Shop around when you arrive in Galapagos if you want to do cruising.  If you are not fussy with the destination, you might find the best price there.

HOwever I search the cruise for several months since we are fussy with the destination and want to see certain animals, and booked it 2 weeks before depart there, and one month before the actual cruise it self.

Last edited by gingerbatik (10-2-2017 3:06 AM)

#9 10-2-2017 9:47 AM

Re: Galapagos -- Flying in Without Plans?

It wasn't a street food LOL. There is no streetfood in Galapagos, I visited the island last year in May 2016

In Calle Charles Binford is where most restaurants are located, at 6pm they closed the street for vehicles. It looks like a street food because all restaurants occupying the streets. They placed their tables and chairs outside. This is not a street food like you see in Thailand or anywhere else in Southeast Asia big_smile

For cruise we have a yacht for 5 days, when booking a cruise we request a ship for 8 to 16 people we avoid big ship as its crowded. Is supposed a yacht for 8 passengers, but there's no other bookings so we had the boat on our own with three crew onboard and a naturalist guide

There are more offer on last minute cruise in the island than in the mainland, we regret by booking a cruise in Quito while in Puerto Ayora or in San Cristobal prices of last minute cruise are half of the price.

As we haven't much time we didn't want to fly to Galapagos without a plan, so our best option is book a last minute in Quito, we could leave on the same the day, but the route is not very interesting we want to see five islands and for this route we have to wait three days to depart.

Going on cruise one month before - it is not a last minute. A last minute you can leave anytime you want depends on the route you want

Last edited by shavy (10-2-2017 1:57 PM)

#10 10-3-2017 12:29 AM

@ Shavy

I supposed it is depend what you call a restaurant. To me, a restaurant is a bit fancier than just a small shop and some of the places does not have a table or chairs inside, therefore I called it a street food.
If you want to call it a restaurant, so be it.

Btw, please do not go to the english dictionary.  Anybody know the meaning of the last minute.

#11 10-3-2017 5:43 AM

gingerbatik wrote:

@ Shavy

If you want to call it a restaurant, so be it.

If you don't call it a restaurant, then I name it eateries smile
I know what restaurtants are? we have different meaning of restaurant and street food haha it's a funny thing to say- street food in Galapagos

I don't need an english dictionary, although I speak 5 languages tongue

Last edited by shavy (10-3-2017 5:56 AM)

#12 12-9-2017 1:51 PM

sebaspage
Sebastian
London, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 5

Miles,

I had the chance to be around the Galapagos three times already big_smile. Although it is true that you can definitely find great deals once you get to the Islands it all depends on the time of the year you are traveling. The beginning of January is still high season, as people that arrived for the New Years' holidays are still around -Galapagos are pretty popular by the end of December- so if you are planning to go there at that time I would recommend you to at least have a set idea of what you would like to do.

If you are thinking on traveling later, then it will be easier. Depending on how many days you plan to stay I can give you a better "plan" for how to make the most out of you time there! If you have 7-8 days, the best will be to fly into San Cristobal, stay there for a couple of nights and then head to Isabela, here you can spend 3 nights as there is so much to see! And finally you can finish on Santa Cruz, to see Charles Darwin place and be closer to the airport for your flight back.

I think is the best way to see it all, on the 3 islands you can find all kinds of accommodation and several local agencies to hire day tours at lower prices.

I hope it helps!