#1 9-26-2017 7:11 AM

JodyFrecks
Posts: 2

Christmas in Christchurch

What would you suggest apart from the botanical garden and Akaroa (swim with Dolphins)

Everything else seems closed.

Is there anything Christmassy or how about restaurants?

Thanks!!

#2 9-26-2017 1:15 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Christmas in Christchurch

on the 24 Dec everything will be closed in Christchurch NZ unfortunately.  Some of the Chinese take away will be open but not many. head to Riccarton area to find those chinese take away, since the center will be closed.

Some restaurants would be open on the 25 but still not much selection either.
You can try "She universe" chocolate restaurant in Diamond harbour.  Last time I eat there was last year (2016). Unfortunately the quality of the food was deterioting since my last visit.  But the view was to die for. It was very beautiful view up there.  You will need a car to go as there is no public bus.

Since the earthquake in 2010, many restaurants was closed and scattered everywhere.  I can not recommend any restaurant now since I do not know their location and plenty of them was closed down.

Go to Lytelton harbour, it is very nice there and plenty of restaurant (but not during xmast time).

New Brighton beach and Summer is nice for a short visit.
If you like museum, you can visit the a couple museums in the center. One is next to the botanical garden and the other is just one block away.

#3 9-26-2017 2:38 PM

Re: Christmas in Christchurch

The 24th everything is open - people doing their last minute shopping for Christmas eve. The 25th of december the city of Christchurch is like a ghost town. Restaurants inside a hotel is mostly open

#4 9-29-2017 9:21 AM

Re: Christmas in Christchurch

Most canteburian would be away on a holiday on xmast eve, and sadly not many restaurants open in Christchurch on the 25 Dec. I was there last christmast 2016 and struggle to find a decent restaurant.

Last edited by gingerbatik (9-29-2017 9:23 AM)

#5 9-30-2017 1:18 AM

gingerbatik wrote:

I mentioned restaurants inside a hotel is opened. December is high season in NZ a lot of tourist travelling around, not to mentioned local New Zealanders

Most hotels with restaurants are open for business. I spent during holiday season travelling around in NZ, I know a lot of places closed which was very depressing as travellers but we managed to book a Christmas dinner in one of hotel in Christchurch

#6 9-30-2017 7:49 AM

Re: Christmas in Christchurch

ehmm... I lived there for almost 2 decades so I know pretty well about the town and the hotels restaurant since I visited frequently for lunch, dinner or just enjoy a snack.

There are a handfull of hotels with restaurant open but not many!

Well... I supposed each to individual.  I just mention that I was struggle to find a place for dinner when I was there last in 2016.  End of story.

#7 9-30-2017 8:09 AM

gingerbatik wrote:

There are a handfull of hotels with restaurant open but not many!

It doesn't matter you live there with all your life or several years. I just shared my experience

Why struggling to find dinner on Christmas eve or Christmas day while there is still a few restaurants opened that time. YES there are hotels with restaurants open but not many. THAT IS WHAT I MEAN big_smile

Last edited by shavy (10-2-2017 11:05 AM)

#8 11-19-2017 8:31 PM

AmaairaSehgal
Posts: 2

Re: Christmas in Christchurch

On Xams eve, usually everything remains open since everyone's doing their last minute shopping rounds. However, on the day of Christmas, mostly everything remains shut so it's best to stock up well in advance. It's best to take a walk around the city and see the pretty lights.

#9 11-24-2017 4:46 PM