#1 9-29-2017 3:09 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Probable further train disruption in SE of the UK.

The appalling RMT Union who are notorious within the UK for causing disruption, misery and huge loss on public transport are now instituting an overtime ban on the Greater Anglia rail network between 10th October 2017 and 6th November 2017 as well as a full strike on 3rd October to 5th October.  Apart from the full strike days, the overtime ban will unbdoubtedly affect services and there will be a huge knock on effect (i.e. very full services) for alternative rail services and also buses.

For those travellers that may be planning transport in this period and not based in the Southeast of England I shall give a brief outline of the network affected.  It basically covers the area to the Northeast of London and runs out of London Liverpool Street station.  Services to Cambridge (there is an alternative from King's Cross) , Peterborough, King's Lynn, Norwich and Southend (amongst many other places) will be affected. 

Perhaps most importantly for international travellers the service to Harwich (which I used recently, see my "Lying low in the low countries" journal here for full details) to connect with the Harwich - Hoek van Holland ferry will be hit.  Also, Stansted airport which is popular with cheapo airlines (if Ryanair is still even flying then!) is in their catchment area although I am not sure if the Stansted Express is seperately run and will be affected.

The advice, as always, is to make your own enquiries about any potential travel in the area mentioned on the dates I have given.  I am merely posting this as a general "heads-up" for travellers who may be inconvenienced by these people.

#2 9-29-2017 10:40 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Probable further train disruption in SE of the UK.

Northern is on strike this week coming too. Which I am sure has nothing to do with pissing off the Tory conference in Manchester.

#3 9-30-2017 1:09 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Probable further train disruption in SE of the UK.

A lot of flights cancelled from Brussels south airport in the month october. People who's flight canceled got reimbursement. I'm lucky my flight to Edinburg is not on the list

Board footer