#1 9-28-2017 11:00 PM

Posts: 338

Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Hi,

I'm going to travel to Gibraltar soon and my big dilemma is: stay in Gibraltar or in La Linea.
Will only stay a single night, arrival is at noon.

I'm inclined towards La Linea - what do you think?

How about the main attractions of Gibraltar and La Linea - what would you recommend to visit?

#2 9-28-2017 11:35 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 822

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

You maybe consider of staying in La Linea while you can pay in Euros. In Gibraltar you need to change in pound sterling

In La Linea there isn't much but they have choices of accommodation and restaurants, we've seen the Spanish Bunker lies just on the border of Gibraltar.

In Gibraltar the rock  this is visible already while your in La linea. Then you have Europe Point where mosque and light tower. Walk to the rock the views are amazing up there, be careful with the monkeys they are wild

#3 9-29-2017 12:01 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 358

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

On a random search (10.10.) the cheapest room in Gibraltar € 86 in La Linea € 22, the Gibraltar city bus goes to the border post, from there a short walk to the La Linea bus terminal, haven't eaten in Gibraltar but in general Spanish food is better then British. Personaly i would not stay in both places unless its necessary for transportation.

#4 9-29-2017 6:30 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5948

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

I've not been personally - a friend of my husband's was posted there and husband has been.  He says it's a bit surreal - like being in 1970s Britain, except warm.  But the rock was interesting, it has the monkeys and the view of Africa, and it's the more touristy place to stay.

If you're short on time, I'd consider how you plan to cross the border.  Crossing on foot is almost never an issue, apparently, but crossing in any form of motorised transport can be a pain, or totally hassle free, depending on how badly the UK has annoyed Spain (or vice versa) recently. If the two nations are at odds, they often implement quite strict vehicle searches which can cause long queues; these almost never apply to people taking a bus then walking.  So if time is a big object, I'd stay on the rock itself, but if money is the bigger issue there's it sounds like La Linea is cheaper.

#5 9-29-2017 8:06 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 822

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

We crossed the border with car, no problem at all. They only check your passport or ID. Crossing on foot is much quicker than with vehicle, we waited on long line.

Gibraltar is a small country, you can easily navigate on foot, but if you prefer taking the bus, after crossing the costums you have public bus to get you in the city center.

#6 9-29-2017 10:20 AM

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Hey, I'd really like to just walk across the border into Gibraltar. Do I just simply walk across? (Through the customs, of course!)

I prefer to stay in La Linea, since I will be arriving from a Spanish city.

I will try to arrive as early as possible - like at noon or so... I will stay in La Linea and then continue my trip the next morning to other parts of Spain.

So, basically I'll have time from noon to evening. Is this enough to get around in Gibraltar?
(I can only estimate, the real thing is always different!)

I'd get around on foot, as I have no vehicle available. I think I will have about 4-6 hours of sunshine before the evening kicks in and then I'll return to La Linea.

#7 9-29-2017 10:46 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 358

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

From the border to the southern tip of Gibraltar its about 6 km, to the town center 2 to 2,5 km, the city bus from the border is fairly frequent running, should be quite enough.

Last edited by ulis (9-29-2017 10:48 AM)

#8 9-29-2017 11:13 AM

alectrevor
alec
York, England
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

I stayed in Algeciras Spain, the nearest rail station to Gibraltar.  Algeciras accomodation is cheaper than Gibraltar. It is just a short ride by bus to La Linea, then a walk across the border.

#9 10-15-2017 8:21 AM

Re: Gibraltar Trip - stay in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Well, in the end I stayed in La Linea at a hotel not far from the border and just walked across the border to visit Gibraltar.

It was a nice experience, I was stunned by the contrast between the two cities.

It was enough to stay for a day, but I still I missed out on seeing the bunkers in La Linea.

The Gibraltar monkeys are very aggressive. Even unprovoked. They're mental cases, totally.

Board footer