#1 9-5-2017 7:35 AM

Sightseer
Posts: 53

Indian visa confusion

Hi Buddies,

Can anyone give me some advice on Indian visas,
I have read so many pages from so called official websites / e-visa websites and other websites about which visa to get that I am so confused.

I will arrive in Delhi mid afternoon and then leave for Nepal the next day. I will spend all my time in Nepal until I fly home, which again I will only be in Delhi for a few hours before my flight back to UK.

Some websites suggest I do not need a visa because I am just "transit" in Delhi. However other websites say this is not possible unless I booked the flight straight from UK to Kathmandu (not as separate flights as I have done). Then other websites say I need a proper tourist visa.

From what I have read on some e-visa websites, I will need a double entry visa, but then on some forums I only need a single entry visa because my return trip I will not actually leave the airport (but this makes me think of the issues above with transit visas - and I will have to clear customs to check in again)

So really, really could do with some guidance (before my head explodes) haha

#2 9-5-2017 7:48 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1996

Re: Indian visa confusion

ring or email the Indian embassy to clarify your situation

#3 9-5-2017 12:33 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 498

Re: Indian visa confusion

Staying in "transit (area)" is usually only possible if you can check in your luggage until Kathmandu or you have only handlugagge and a online checkin to Katmandu.
There exists a transit via valid for 1 or 2 entries and 3 days in India and within 15 days of issue of the visa. you might have to get a second one in Nepal.
Tourist visa is valid for 1 or 2 entries and up to 180 days, e-visa is valid for 1 or 2 entries and 60 days.

#4 9-6-2017 1:22 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17663

Re: Indian visa confusion

Nobody can say without knowing what your nationality is. But website of Indian consulate should have info.

#5 9-6-2017 10:42 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1367

Ask at the Indian Embassy or Consulate,
Some of those visa websites only want to sell you a visum so their info is not really reliable

#6 9-27-2017 11:53 PM

jeniparker23
Jenifer
Austin, Texas
Couch Potato
Posts: 8

Re: Indian visa confusion

Visit the official website of Indian embassy and read out the rules and regulation there.

#7 9-28-2017 10:29 PM

pANSY22
♥♥♥Stefan♥♥♥
Duisburg, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist
Posts: 178

Re: Indian visa confusion

What’s your definition of “transit“? In case your flights are booked on separate tickets (i.e. one ticket from UK to India and a second ticket from India to Nepal), you’ll have to collect your luggage at Delhi airport. In this case you’d have to leave the transit area and require a visa – no matter if it’s just for a few hours. In case your flights back home are booked on separate tickets as well, a single-entry visa would not be sufficient.
Besides, please keep in mind that a change of terminals might be required when you check in your luggage at Delhi airport. In case you’ll have to exit the terminal of arrival, make sure that you carry a hard copy of your ticket. Otherwise they won’t let you enter the airport.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer