#26 5-5-2017 5:58 PM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Good waterproof jacket

"Breathe-ability" is key. What's the point of being waterproof against the rain when you will still get wet if your perspiration still soaks you and your clothes from the inside of your jacket? Ponchos don't have to use GoreTex since their cut allows the wearer's perspiration vapors to breathe from the sides and bottom.

#27 5-19-2017 2:10 AM

santos01
Posts: 16

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I have a Low Alpine Goretex waterproof jacket and it works a dream - even during monsoon season in India!

#28 5-24-2017 11:42 PM

EmiliaLacson
Emilia
Louisiana, Missouri
Posts: 5

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I'm also looking for a new one as well, maybe something cheaper since my budget keeps me on buying stuffs that's just good enough for my needs. Lol. Well, since I need one I'm still surfing on the net specially online shops. Does Gore tex fabric a good quality? Gotta find one that is cheaper without jeopardizing the quality of the product.

#29 5-25-2017 2:53 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3768

EmiliaLacson wrote:

Here's my answer from last year ... bottomline is, while GoreTex is the standard to which they are measured against, there are always cheaper but similar equivalents:

nolan wrote:

Gore-Tex®, is the standard to which waterproofness in jackets is measured. As it is expensive (jackets easily $300 upwards), manufacturers have come up with their own alternatives:

The North Face has Hyvent
Columbia has OmniDry, Omni-Tech®
Patagonia has H2No
Mountain Hardware has Conduit

Other breathable membrane fabrics are eVent and MemBrain®.

Those brands are well known for waterproof jackets, including the ones that Lotus28 mentioned. Other good brands are Marmot, Outdoor Research, and so on. There are a lot of choices, choose based on your style preference in addition to other technical features.

I personally use an ExOfficio Rain Logic jacket (2.5 layers), which is rated as follows:

Waterproof: Rated to 10,000 mm
Breathable: Rated to 10,000 g

Also it has pit zips, for additional ventilation. Well I don't live in Seattle so I can't test it as much but we do get quite a lot of monsoon rains and typhoons from July to October.

And one more thing - best if the hood is detachable and with a sturdy visor.

#30 6-21-2017 8:24 AM

EMarsden72
Emily
London, England
Posts: 5

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gortex may be the standard but e-vent is cheaper and more breathable. If you are on a budget I would look into e-vent.

#31 6-21-2017 10:41 AM

rolfasp22
Rolf
Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 15

lealealou wrote:

I need a really good waterproof jacket....I have been stung with buying one that lets the rain in. Can anyone recommend a good make and style/name of jacket? Thanks all!!

Check out NorthFace they have cool and amazing jacket.
Thermal/winter and hiking type.

#32 7-13-2017 11:27 PM

drubenj
Posts: 11

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I have a goretex jacket made by TheNorthFace. Good quality and very comfy.

#33 7-14-2017 7:44 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 434

Re: Good waterproof jacket

We get the Gill raingear for the boat.  This is a light weight one just for showers ($99) https://www.gilldirect.com/products/mar … swodC-0AwA

but the offshore ones are up to $300.00

But I prefer to have a regular semi-waterproof jacket for the misty rain kind of situations and when it is tipping down, I use a poncho or regular raincoat over it.  They do not take up much space (can be put in the pocket of the regular jacket) and are cheap.  I get raincoats from L.L.Bean.

Their men's trail model is $89
Waterproof TEK2.5 ripstop nylon.
Advanced ceramic coating provides additional waterproof protection and exceptional breathability.
Machine wash cold with like colors, tumble dry low.
Taped, waterproof seams.
Velcro-closure-cinch cuffs and a storm flap keep you dry.
Pockets have been repositioned for easier access.
Stowaway design for easy take along – packs into its own pocket.

But just a plastic rain poncho is even cheaper.

Last edited by grandmar (7-14-2017 7:53 AM)

#34 9-25-2017 6:20 AM

MartinLTurner
Martin
Ohio, United States
Posts: 4

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gortex is known to be the best brand that you can rely on for getting the best options of dry. As it works really well as being one of the best waterproof jacket providers for you.

Board footer