#1 9-10-2017 11:52 PM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato

Bus tour in France

Hello

Looking for a short bus tour in France starting in Paris for about 8 days in November 2017. Have seen a few in the website, but feedback from you guys would be good.

Thanks

#2 9-11-2017 9:48 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Bus tour in France

An organized tours is quite expensive, while you can do it yourself for very affordable price. France has excellent railway system connected to Southeastern of France

#3 9-12-2017 5:01 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I agree with shavy.  I've never ridden a bus in France other than the Air France from CDG.

#4 9-12-2017 5:22 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

shavy wrote:

An organized tours is quite expensive, while you can do it yourself for very affordable price. France has excellent railway system connected to Southeastern of France

Agree with that, trains radiating from/to Paris are very fast and comfortable, cheap if booked very early online, on lines not going to Paris (Toulouse to Biarritz for instance) buses have a similar speed and quite a bit cheaper then the train.  Ouigo.com and Isibus via the  SNCF buses subpage and flixbus.com

#5 9-12-2017 5:43 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Agreed. No need to do a tour. November is not the best time to visit most places in Europe but you could for example  spend three days in Paris, two days in Lyons and two days in the Alps eg in Chamonix.

You can book your train tickets on www.sncf.fr or download the SNCF App.

#6 9-13-2017 7:46 AM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato

Thank you all for the input. Have now decided to hire a car driving towards the east and will spend Christmas in Germany.

#7 9-13-2017 8:21 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

rolypoly wrote:

Thank you all for the input. Have now decided to hire a car driving towards the east and will spend Christmas in Germany.

That is a good idea, hiring a car is one of the easiest way without relying on public transport.
The eastside of France is very beautiful especially the Alsace and the Lorraine region. Surely you'll pass some small villages which are some of them really worth of visit.

Just to remind you driving on freeway in France can be quite expensive (toll fee). but it'll take you faster to your destination. Toll booths in France accept credit cards.

For Paris you don't need a car. Paris is chaotic city and the underground parkings are so expensive. You  can easily explore Paris by metro. If you stay in the city for a couple of days, is cheaper to purchase a pass which give you unlimited ride with metro and you have right of discounts on museum tickets.

#8 9-13-2017 10:51 PM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato

Thanks again Shavy for the tip on the toll fee, and will definitely buy the metro pass as we will stay in Paris for a month. Then, as I mentioned before we will hire a car for the remaining week of November and travel towards the eastern part of France, before we stay for Christmas/NY in Germany, hopefully a white Christmas smile Yes, you are right the Alsace region is nice, we stayed a month in Colmar, pretty little village.

#9 9-15-2017 11:38 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Sorry to be a bit "late freight" on this one but I haven't been online for a couple of days.

An organised coach trip would frankly be my idea of Hell and you can certainly do it cheaper by yourself but I found trains in France to be pretty expensive (walk up fares anyway) and if you book far in advance to get the best fares you are tied to a rigid schedule. 

As an alternative I would suggest the concept of car pooling which I had never done before until very recently.  I went rambling round Europe, including France for three and a half months between April and July this year (see my "Lying low in the low countries blog on this site) and somewhat hesitantly signed up to a website caled Blablacar (there are others) and the journeys provided some of the very best experiences of the whole trip.

I can understand very natural potential concerns about being a solo female traveller but there is a pretty strict vetting process for both drivers and passengers and most of my drivers were actually female.  Couple this with booking your own accommodation and you will save an absolute fortune as well as meeting some lovely people plus which you can tailor an itinerary tht suits what you want to see. 

I know it is not strictly an answer to your question but I offer it merely as an alternative that you may wish to look at for a very decent trip round a fantastic country.

#10 9-18-2017 12:45 AM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato

Thanks Fergy, is always good to have more information or experiences from others when travelling.

Board footer