#1 9-14-2017 3:36 PM

Colombia in December recommendations

We will be going as a group of 6 to Colombia for roughly a bit more than 3 weeks. Are there any places we must visit or activities to do other than like Bogotá, Medellin, Cartagena etc?

Also we want to go to santa Marta is it worth it for example or is it doable to go in Venezuela? Or maybe the other side and cross to Peru or Ecuador for a few days?

Any recommendations are welcomed smile xx

#2 9-14-2017 5:27 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

There's more than enough to see and do in Colombia in three weeks without trying to visit other countries.  Not a good time to visit Venezuela anyway.

The only must see large city is Cartagena. Bogota and Medellin worth a day or two maybe. Could be skipped if time limited.  On other hand, smaller places near these are well worth seeing, particularly Zipaquira and Villa de Lleiva (must) near Bogota and Guatape, Jardin and Salento near Medellin. Santa Fe near Medellin too.

If you are arriving in Bogota, you will probably need a day or two to acclimatise to the altitude and recover from jet lag. Medellin is a bit lower but still very high so same applies if you are arriving there.

Santa Marta worth seeing and you can visit Tayrona National Park from there.

Colombia is a very big country. Easy enough to get around but distances are long.  With six of you, you may wish to hire cars or even a minibus with a driver.

Finding accommodation for six people could be difficult unless you reserve in advance. You don't say when in December but if you're there over the Christmas/New Year period, it would probably be best to reserve now.

It seems from your profile that you have not been to Latin America. It is not clear if any of your friends have or if any of you speak Spanish.  Basic Spanish is useful, possibly essential. And the better the Spanish, the better.

While Colombia is not as dangerous as a lot of people think, it is not the safest place either. You need to be vigilant at all times, particularly at night.

#3 9-14-2017 11:19 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 828

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

Im to going to Colombia in december too. Colombia is huge, I would concentrate in Colombia only, there are so much to see. Leave other countries for next trip. You need more time for Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela

#4 9-15-2017 5:30 PM

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I know it is big and most probably will be sticking to just Colombia.

We will be flying to Bogotá and then from there bus and flights. We were thinking Medellin,Cartagena,Santa Marta, tayrona park,minca , palomino. And I will have a look at the places you recommended.

The Amazon is not accessible from colombia btw? It will be an amazing experience to trek and camp

#5 9-15-2017 11:14 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 828

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

I already had those places in your list. I skip Minca, as I read about it, is just a mountain with  waterfalls I don't wanna be disappointed. I'll spent more of my time in Tyrona

How about - Tatacao dessert, Neiva, Popayan, San agustin, Cali, Pereira, Islas del Rosario.

The amazon is accessible of course,  for trekking in the junge is not allowed to go by yourself- must have a local guide with you. I've done the amazon in Ecuador which was really awesome

To get to the amazon in Colombia you need to go to 'Leticia' a two hour fly from Bogota. I haven't decide yet if we'll do the amazon

Last edited by shavy (9-16-2017 3:00 PM)

#6 9-17-2017 3:12 PM

markdd
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 776

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

Leticia if you want to see the Amazonas

#7 9-18-2017 4:49 AM

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

Because of time and location we decided to do the lost city from Santa Marta.

So we are thinking of Salento, Medellin, Cartagena, santa Marta. (Tyrona park,lost city, palomino etc)

#8 10-3-2017 12:31 PM

jaco_vh
Jaco
Dendermonde, Belgium
Posts: 1

Re: Colombia in December recommendations

Salento, nice little city but mostly for people who start or end their hiking. I started a hike their to Los nevados,
it was heavy but really nice :-)
Medellin is a must do, in the historical center you need to be on your guard... Surely check out Escaleras Electricas De La Comuna 13

Cartagena, great city and a must do. Really nice streets and a great ambiance. A little more expensive then the rest of Colombia. (tourisme)
Santa Marta is great to go to Tayrona or the lost city. Tayrona is beautiful but only after 4pm when most off the tourist are gone :-)

If you like adventure, you should check out San Gil, we did paraglide, abseiling and some rafting over there.

I just returned from Colombia, made a travel video with my GoPro and drone.
Some footage to make you wanne go even more :-)
But as newbie I can post links... So if you want to see it, browse on Youtube on "Colombia by drone & GoPro"

Board footer