#1 9-11-2017 2:47 AM

Posts: 6

anyone travelled solo on their birthday

Has anyone travelled on their birthday, solo?

As in spent their birthday in a foreign country on their own just as a change? I'm thinking of doing that, as I tend to spend it abroad anyway but usually with a friend or two but on this occasion no-one's free so I'm thinking of going on my own! Good idea? Has anyone done this, how was it?

#2 9-11-2017 3:36 AM

ellechic
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 172

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I went to Japan (my first visit, see my blog: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/47328/) on my 25th birthday for 2 weeks. It was my first time traveling solo, but met up with friends along the way. I met friends in Tokyo and spent 2 days in Hakone in a mid-range ryokan (the night of my birthday) and 2 nights in kyoto by myself before meeting up with friends Osaka.

The day of my birthday, I spent sightseeing in Hakone, had a seasonal dinner served at the ryokan and soaked in the hot springs (it was a weekday so I had the onsen/rotemburo all by myselg), and just relaxed. The next day, I had a lovely Japanese breakfast and went on to sightsee again, leavin gmy luggage at the reception to pick up after lunch.

It was one of the best birthdays I had - it was relaxing and just really out of the norm where I often go out with friends for dinner and drinks.

Last edited by ellechic (9-11-2017 3:38 AM)

#3 9-11-2017 4:01 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I've lost count of how many times I've been on my own in foreign lands during my birthday.

I've had some great birthdays along the way.  But in all honesty, I've had some very quiet ones too.  I just depends if you are in a place you enjoy.  And it depends how social you are to mix with strangers.  Introverts find it difficult, extroverts can have the time of their lives.

#4 9-11-2017 5:13 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17592

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I've done this a lot in recent years. I'm not a party person anyway. I'll actually be flying TPE-ICN on the day of my birthday this year but may meet a friend for dinner the night before and/or on the night I arrive.

#5 9-11-2017 6:22 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 428

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I've traveled alone on my birthday but it was when I was required to travel for work, and not (as far as I can remember) to a different country.

But while I've traveled alone several times, I've only traveled alone to different countries once, and it was in the summer.  My birthday is in November so I was usually at school or at work then

#6 9-11-2017 8:55 AM

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

Thanks for your responses.

Interesting to hear mostly positive experiences.

I just booked 5 days in Macedonia! Will be travelling on my own and plan to have the 3rd of my trip which will be my bday in Ohrid which is very famous for the lake and the surrounding areas. Looks great. I've done countless of solo trips but this is the first time I'll be spending my bday totally on my own.

I guess it'll be weird waking up on the day knowing that I'll be spending it on my own but I suppose I have to treat it as just another day.

#7 9-11-2017 10:34 AM

Globevoyager
Maike
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1077

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

All the time. My birthday is in February and I always travel then. Always found a way/people to make it memorable and had great times! When you backpack or travel abroad you're never alone and there is always some one or something to do that makes it special!

#8 9-11-2017 11:53 AM

djapa
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1052

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

In the recent few years, I do this every birthday and till now it has been wonderful :-)
most of the time I meet new people and we end up celebrating together...even when I don't meet people, the adventure of being in a new unknown place makes it memorable !

#9 9-12-2017 2:57 AM

Black_wind
Martina
Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 25

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I also plan to go solo to Macedonia for my next b-day:')

but even if i am in my country, i don't tend to celebrate my birthday anyway so it doesn't really matter where i am

#10 9-12-2017 5:03 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I prefer to ignore birthdays now that their number has become excessive.  :-)

#11 9-12-2017 6:21 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1363

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

I've been on many solo trips,but never alone on my birthday. I plan so I will be visiting someone I know then.  When I was traveling in the US I was behind schedule so didn't make it to my friends in Chicago,but I was on a road trip with a couchsurfer I met, so wasn't alone then either. It's funny, I wouldn't have mind being alone for my birthday,but it just worked out every time.

#12 9-12-2017 12:19 PM

emjaaay2
Sightseer
Posts: 99

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

Past few years I've been doing a trip for my birthday (or around then)... this coming birthday would be the first time I will be alone... in Vienna! I am very excited to see Vienna in middle of winter.

Also, Macedonia is very fun... I haven't been to Ohrid, but I've heard great things. Enjoy your birthday!

#13 9-13-2017 10:36 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 142

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

Yes, I have done it many times.

Like many others I do not "do" birthdays and I happened to be in Thailand, Cha-am to be precise and treated myself to a right slap-up seaafood meal in one of the many excellent seafood restaurants along the front there.  Less than a week later I qualified as a scuba diver as a slightly belated birthday present to myself albeit I had had no prior intention to do so.  I loved it!

You won't regret Macedonia as it is a wonderful country with some extremely friendly people.

If you are in Ohrid I strongly recommend a trip to the St. Naum monastery which is only a few hundred yards from the Albanian border.  That is where the Cyryllic alphabet was "invented" so it has huge historical significance as well as being a fantastic place to visit.  I was there in 2012 and absolutely loved it.

You will have no problems finding somewhere good to celebrate your birthday as the town is literally jam-packed with good restaurants and bars.

Havea great birthday, my friend.

#14 9-14-2017 2:30 PM

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

Thanks again everyone. Hoping to have a good time and treat it like any other day at the same time.

Planxty, thanks for your tips!

#15 9-15-2017 11:05 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Posts: 142

Re: anyone travelled solo on their birthday

My pleasure, my friend.  Surely that is what we are here for.

Board footer