#1 9-10-2017 9:37 PM

heathercurry
Heather
New York, New York
Couch Potato

Amsterdam and Brussels in the winter

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Amsterdam and Brussels this coming February. Any suggestions for sites not to miss?Traveling with a friend and we enjoy museums, historic sites, exploring neighborhoods, good food, fun pubs and bars. We are planning on Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank house etc. but would like suggestions about things not as well known but should not be missed. Also, recommendations for hotels, B & B's and yummy restaurants would be great. TIA!

#2 9-10-2017 10:25 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Amsterdam and Brussels in the winter

Things to do in Amsterdam you already mentioned some of it. Delft is beautiful town of Netherlands, worth a daytrip from Amsterdam.

For Brussels,  take a day trip to Bruges or stay a night, Gent is also worth of visit- both places are beautiful and easy to reach with train.

If there are two of you traveling, you will be better buying our "railpass" it cost 77€ for 10 trips and can be share with your friend

If you like pub, visit Delirium bar one of the best bar in Brussels

Last edited by shavy (9-11-2017 2:31 AM)

#3 9-11-2017 12:48 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Like Shavy has mention above.

In addition, if you plan to see many museums in Amsterdam, the Amsterdam pass is worth it. it has the 24 hours or 72 hours including public transportation and entrance fee to the museums.  The 72 hours card including free boat ride as well.
I done this twice with the 72 hours and really worth it and plenty of discount vouchers for the restaurants.

If you have time, these places are nice to visit:
Zaandam - Koog Zaandijk (the windmil)
Haarlem
Utrech
Kinderdijk and Rotherdam
Alkmar cheese market
Volendam
Breda is nice but a bit far from Amsterdam and you need an overnight stay there.

My favourite restaurant in Amsterdam is "De Roode Leeuw" which located in HOtel Amsterdam.  It serve good food.

If you fancy a really good food with Michelin star award restaurant,  Ann de Poel tick all the box and the price is very reasonable for the 2 stars Michelin restaurant (review by my friend below).

http://www.travbuddy.com/Restaurant-Aan-de-Poel-v825171

Enjoy Amsterdam

#4 9-11-2017 2:14 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

As above but if travelling between Amsterdam and Brussels, it can make sense to stop and even stay in Antwerp. The station alone makes it worthwhile.

If good food is a priority, definitely spend more time in Belgium than in the Netherlands smile.

#5 9-11-2017 2:37 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Aah Francis you liked Belgian food?

Well, Belgian fries is one of the best in Europe, however fries are available everywhere, but I prefer our fries (frit) 😋

#6 9-11-2017 4:48 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Shavy, I will be travelling to Brussels in October, using the Eurostar from London. Do you know if my Eurostar ticket allows me to travel onto Brugge? Thanks

#7 9-11-2017 5:20 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Yes but there's a lot more to Belgian food than frites.

Apart from having arguably the best frites, beer and chocolate in the world, Belgian food is in general great.

I don't have any particular recommendations but if original poster likes seafood, the Place Ste.Catherine in Brussels is a good place to go. A lot of places on Rue des Bouchers in Brussels are not great and same applies to a lot of places in Bruges.

If I may answer your question, StevieP, it depends on your ticket.  If it's just London-Bruxelles Midi, it would not allow you to go to Bruges. You can buy the ticket to Bruges in Brussels or online on www.sncb.be.

#8 9-11-2017 9:00 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

StevieP wrote:

Shavy, I will be travelling to Brussels in October, using the Eurostar from London. Do you know if my Eurostar ticket allows me to travel onto Brugge? Thanks

If your Eurostar ticket destination Brussels - you can't travel with your ticket to Bruges. But if you choose during booking a destination to "any Belgian station via Brussels" you can used the ticket to Bruges, but you must travel within 24 hours of your Eurostar arrival.

For booking tickets in Belgian railway https://www.b-europe.com/EN

#9 9-11-2017 9:34 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

For restaurants in Brussels - avoid "Rue des Bouchers" a lot of scams there. The best place to dine is on Sint-Katelijnestraat in French Sainte Catherine - there are plenty of restaurants around the area

In Bruges, avoid restaurants on "Grote Markt" away from the busiest square a good place for local food is Langestraat - there are plenty of restaurants around.

My favourite in Langestraat is Lion Belge- they served local food like stoofvlees (stew) bradworst (sausage) served with freshly made fries, a real West Flanders food

Last edited by shavy (9-11-2017 9:35 AM)

#10 9-13-2017 5:33 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Thanks or the info, I have tickets for any station I am only there for two days so will see Brugge the first day and Brussels the second day. I appreciate the food recommendations - very helpful and cant wait to sample more Belgian lager :-)

#11 9-13-2017 8:29 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

StevieP wrote:

Thanks or the info, I have tickets for any station I am only there for two days so will see Brugge the first day and Brussels the second day. I appreciate the food recommendations - very helpful and cant wait to sample more Belgian lager :-)

Enjoy your stay in Bruges and Brussels. Be careful at trains stations in Brussels especially in midi and north station, is a place where gangs gathered at night time. If you can search a hotel near the grand place

#12 9-13-2017 8:35 PM

heathercurry
Heather
New York, New York
Couch Potato

thank you everyone for your input! All great suggestions that will help plan my itinerary. smile

Board footer