#51 9-13-2017 10:21 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 143

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I know that what I am going to say next is going to provoke controversy as it has on every other travel related website I have ever contributed to in the past and it is really not my intention to start a war here.

In over four decades of travelling, mostly under my own steam and on a budget, very few of my plans have come adrift until I commit them to the hands of the one of the ever increasing number of "cheapo" airlines" that that so many budget travellers seem to love.  The old adage that "you get what you pay for" is so very, very true in this instance.  Lyingair (Ryanair), Sleazyjet (Easyjet) and Swizzair (Wizzair) have all left me in very uncomfortable situations and I mean very uncomfortable situations.  I am not going to go into details here but if any other TravBuddy wants to contact me privately I'll tell them, they are all a matter of public record.

Admittedly, NorwegianAir which follows the same business model did get me to Madeira and back fairly painlessly a couple of years ago.  Yes, there was a four hour delay on the return leg which was not their fault as a passenger had fallen ill on the outbound and they had had to make an unscheduled landing to have that dealt with.  Nothing any airline can do about that and I doubt any "heritage" airline could have positioned an alternative aircraft any quicker so it was just one of those things.

Normally, things I plan, insofar as I ever plan which is minimal to say the least, goes pretty well.  Involve a cheap, nasty airline and you get, well, a cheap nasty experience.

I suppose the biggest disaster, which was entirely my fault and is dealt with comprehensively on my journal "Lying low in the low countries" on this site, relatively recent was when I got half way to Harwich to get the ferry to Hoek van Holland to discover I had left my passport at home.  Schoolboy error as I entitled the relevant page on the journal.

#52 9-13-2017 11:57 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1961

planxty wrote:

smile

I remembered years ago when I made an arrangement to meet my sister in bangkok airport since we both travel from different countries.
I arrived one day earlier than her and I pick her up in Bangkok airport, I wait, wait and wait more for 3 hours but I didn't see her come out from the gate.  I checked her flight was landed and I was at the right gate.

Since my phone was not working at that time, I went back to the hotel and then ring her.
Apparantely her passport had one month validity and she was refused fly when she tried to get a boarding pass.
She get an emergency passport and 2 days later we met in Bangkok.

#53 9-13-2017 5:18 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 432

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

My daughter and I were in the ladies room in Gatwick and we found someone's passport.  We were walking out with it when we saw her coming back and gave her passport to her.

Our family was on a train in Germany - and overnight train and we got off really early in the morning.  When we got to the hotel we found that the train attendant had given my dad back the wrong passport.  So he had to go after it - the train had left.  Unfortunately I don't know the whole story of that excursion because I never asked about it, but he did get his passport back.

Board footer