#1 9-1-2017 1:21 PM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Andalucía (Andaluzia) Trip

Hello,

I will be visiting Andalucía in the first half of October. I will have 15 full days, so I will travel around to see the highlights. I've documented myself, so I know exactly which cities to visit.

But I find it hard to allocate the number of days: where to stay longer, where to stay less?

So far, I have come up with this approximate calculation:

Granada: 1 full day
Córdoba: 1 full day
Sevilla: 3 full days
Cádiz: 3 full days
Gibraltar/La Línea: 1 full day
Málaga: 2-3 full days

The others would be rather fractional days... I might take 1-2 short trips to Olvera or to Ronda. If I feel like I have time.

What do you think of the allocation of days?

Spend more or less here or there? Feel free to let me know!

#2 9-1-2017 2:14 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Andalucía (Andaluzia) Trip

I would do Sevilla 3 days, Granada 2-3 days, Cadiz, Malaga and Cordoba 2 days, Gibraltar half day

#3 9-1-2017 3:06 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Are those full data allowing travel time? The transport is good but not instant, so if your "one full day" is only one night it'll be closer to a half day unless you're getting up very early. And if you're really only spending a full day in Córdoba, for example, you want a FULL day, not to arrive lunchtime and leave in the morning. The Mezquita is one of my favourite buildings in the world, but there's also one of two surviving historic synagogues to see, the ancient Muslim palace outside the city centre and the ancient bath house, a fairly interesting palace inside the city and accepting lunch in Spain is not a rapid affair. All the major sites can be very congested if you arrive just after a coach party so that can slow you up too.

Personally, unless you're after beach time, I'd do less in Malaga and more in Granada. The Alhambra takes at least half your day to do well leaving no time for the rest of the city (and pre book that if you're only there briefly; tickets sell out well into October). I'm assuming Ronda will come out of your Malaga time too? It's definitely worth seeing. Malaga is charming and I love the old town but in terms of Big Bang "wow" sites it's not the main attraction.

Personally I'd say it's not worth going to the three unesco cities for fewer than two night each. They're too beautiful to rush. Seville is worth a little longer to get out to Italica, a Roman town built for veterans of the wars with Hannibal. And I'd always say check how long travel is really going to take you before committing to whistle stops of the area.

I forget where you're from, but if you have access to BBC I player there's quite an interesting documentary series on Spanish history (called something like blood and gold) and the first episode is set in the places you're planning to go to- useful little primer on the area and some beautiful shots of the town smile

Last edited by sarahelaine (9-1-2017 3:07 PM)

#4 9-1-2017 4:40 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Why not just go and if you like a place, stay there longer and if you don't, move on.

I'd cut a day a Cadiz and add a day in Granada. If you have time, I'd try to see Ronda. You could cut a day in Malaga.

Seville and the Alhambra in Granada are absolute musts. All the rest are musts too but I'd try to enjoy places rather than jumping around trying to see everything.

#5 9-2-2017 12:06 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

Thanks for the useful comments. I'm estimating my full days and I never count in the "travel dates" in (the days on which I move from place to place).

I am going to fly in and out of Malaga, so I will have 1-1 days to visit, this offers more flexibility regarding the rest of the schedule.

Granada: 2 full days
Córdoba: 2 full day
Sevilla: 3 full days
Cádiz: 2 full days
Gibraltar/La Línea: 1 full day
Málaga: 1 full day

Approximately like this. The rest will mostly be travel dates, but I will be able to use those partial days for visiting what I feel should be seen.

Initially, I wanted to stay longer, but 2 weeks is all the time I got right now.

#6 9-2-2017 12:46 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

One question Ranchero, how do you travel around? do you rent a car? public transport in Andalucia is painful wink

We done Andalucia with rental car, we went twice to see remaining places we haven't seen. Andalucia is one of my favourite place of Spain, there are so much to see around, but seeing your days isn't enough to see the whole area. You can either start in Seville or Malaga depends where you flying to.....

If I'm planning my trip I would do like this if I have 15 days.

3-4 days -Seville, there are so much to see in this capital of Andalucia
1- days- Jerez dela Frontera, is a beautiful town or stop on your way to Cadiz or spent a night
2-3 days - Cadiz
1- Gibraltar,  is very small and nothing much to see except the monkeys on the rock
2 days - Malaga, is just a busy city and not worth spending 3 days.
2 days - Granada
2 days - Cordoba
2 day - Ronda

Last edited by shavy (9-2-2017 1:47 AM)

#7 9-2-2017 3:58 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

shavy wrote:

One question Ranchero, how do you travel around? do you rent a car? public transport in Andalucia is painful wink

We done Andalucia with rental car, we went twice to see remaining places we haven't seen. Andalucia is one of my favourite place of Spain, there are so much to see around, but seeing your days isn't enough to see the whole area. You can either start in Seville or Malaga depends where you flying to.....

If I'm planning my trip I would do like this if I have 15 days.

3-4 days -Seville, there are so much to see in this capital of Andalucia
1- days- Jerez dela Frontera, is a beautiful town or stop on your way to Cadiz or spent a night
2-3 days - Cadiz
1- Gibraltar,  is very small and nothing much to see except the monkeys on the rock
2 days - Malaga, is just a busy city and not worth spending 3 days.
2 days - Granada
2 days - Cordoba
2 day - Ronda

^
I'm not going to rent a car, but will take buses, trains. From what I hear, buses are rare?
I did look up some schedules to small towns and I was stunned about how few buses there were. Like: not even daily!

But I will travel between the main big cities, as enumerated, so it should be easier. I hope!

I am flying in and out of Malaga.

Not sure about the route, but perhaps it will be:
Malaga >> Granada >> Cordoba >> Sevilla >> Cadiz >> Gibraltar >> back to Malaga

I love busy cities. I love just about anything that's beautiful, so Malaga should be fine wink

Honestly, I will focus on the old attractions, Picasso Museum, the Gibralfaro Fortress, the views and the old town of Malaga.

#8 9-2-2017 4:22 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Malaga > Granada > Córdoba > Sevilla > Cádiz : well connected by train (more comfortable and faster) an bus (cheaper), Cádiz > La Línea (>Gibraltar city bus) > Málaga is well connected by bus (many Spanish buslines are difficult to find on the web), Ronda might not be well connected (probably go there in 2 weeks)

#9 9-2-2017 5:06 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Ranchero wrote:

^
I'm not going to rent a car, but will take buses, trains. From what I hear, buses are rare?
I did look up some schedules to small towns and I was stunned about how few buses there were. Like: not even daily!

But I will travel between the main big cities, as enumerated, so it should be easier. I hope!

I am flying in and out of Malaga.

Not sure about the route, but perhaps it will be:
Malaga >> Granada >> Cordoba >> Sevilla >> Cadiz >> Gibraltar >> back to Malaga

I love busy cities. I love just about anything that's beautiful, so Malaga should be fine wink

Honestly, I will focus on the old attractions, Picasso Museum, the Gibralfaro Fortress, the views and the old town of Malaga.

I see, surely you manage to reach these cities. I just say, so much to see in Andalucia, the most beautiful places of Andalucia are the villages, but not easy without a car.

#10 9-2-2017 9:59 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

Will visit Malaga for a few days this month after crossing over from Tangier, Morocco. Of course as previously stated I am just relaxing and seeing too many antient sites get's booring to me. I enjoy meeting people and hanging out though I will take pics of some major sites. I just enjoy the style of a city not the "sites" I can stay in Malaga easily for a week if I meet cool peeps to chill with. But most likely I will take a bus/train to Madrid for several days after a few in Malaga.

#11 9-3-2017 3:34 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

ulis wrote:

Malaga > Granada > Córdoba > Sevilla > Cádiz : well connected by train (more comfortable and faster) an bus (cheaper), Cádiz > La Línea (>Gibraltar city bus) > Málaga is well connected by bus (many Spanish buslines are difficult to find on the web), Ronda might not be well connected (probably go there in 2 weeks)

Hey, I think this is exactly the route I'm planning to go on. I might leave Ronda out. I prefer to stay longer at a few locations, rather than quickly visit multiple places.

As far as I see, there is no direct train connection between Malaga - Granada and Granada - Cordoba. Or, is there?

I think I will travel by train between Cordoba - Sevilla and Sevilla - Cadiz. But for Malaga - Granada and Granada - Cordoba I think buses seem the better option (to avoid changing trains - since there doesn't seem to be any direct connection).

I am not sure about one thing: should I buy train tickets online or go offline?

And if online, then which website(s) would you recommend using?

I checked goeuro.com and their prices are significantly higher than the official renfe.es site's prices.

Obviously, Renfe has the best price and I think it's better to buy directly from the operator.

Last edited by Ranchero (9-3-2017 4:13 AM)

#12 9-3-2017 4:46 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

Malaga - Granada and Granada - Cordoba: it seems there is no train going to Granada at the moment,
from Renfe : Los viajeros cuyo viaje transcurra por el tramo Antequera Santa Ana, Antequera Ciudad, Loja y Granada realizaran dicho tramo por carretera (bus). No se admiten animales domésticos, bicicletas ni Grupos.   
google translate: Travelers traveling on the Antequera Santa Ana, Antequera Ciudad, Loja and Granada sections will carry out this section by road (bus). Pets, bicycles and groups are not allowed.
Better use buses for this 2 sections (if i remember well the Granada trainstation is a bit out of the way)
https://loco2.com/  has almost the same prices as Renfe and is not so complicated

#13 9-3-2017 6:03 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

When I've taken Spanish buses in Andalusia there's usually been a good number (I was there during a rail strike, we had not pre booked and I think we got one within half an hour or so, although perhaps that was luck). They were spotless clean, air conditioned, reasonably comfortable and one even gave us a free water. I'd use them again quite happily. But I do find the websites quite tricky to navigate.

#14 9-10-2017 5:00 AM

Ranchero
Wanderer

I'm not sure which website is best for looking up bus schedules and prices?

alsa.es or goeuro.com are just some of the ones I'm using.

Any better recommendations?

I think I will travel by bus between Malaga >> Granada >> Cordoba
...and between Cadiz >>> La Linea >> Malaga

I will choose the train between Cordoba >> Sevilla >> Cadiz

Should I buy train tickets online or on location?

#15 9-12-2017 5:08 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

Booking buses is not simple in Spain,  Alsa has only Also (and related)  buses,  similar for Sozibus and other companies. GoEuro has only a few Spanish bus companies. I had booked online this time a Sozibus from Madrid Airport to Sevilla, it would not have been possible to get a ticket at the airport, only in their Madrid bus terminal. Arriving in Sevilla I asked at the bus terminal for buses to Ronda, the unfriendly information there told me I have to go via Malaga, GoEuro did not show  any buses, but Rome 2 Rio showed there are by Grupo Samar, this did lead to Los Amarillos having about 7 per day from a different terminal,  Sevilla Prado SS, I will go there tomorrow... (Rome 2 Rio is not always correct and gives only some links)

#16 9-12-2017 5:09 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

(seat) Reservations are only possible (and necessary)  for high-speed trains, only Cordova to Sevilla has them on your planed trip,  you save about  30 minutes but pay more, for slower trains (Sevilla to Cadiz has only slower trains) you can get the tickets as well just before departure in the station.

Last edited by ulis (9-12-2017 5:12 AM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer