#1 8-23-2017 10:40 PM

Altheon_1994
Adriano
Philippines
Couch Potato

Need an accommodation in Kuala Lumpur

Hello all, firstly lemme tell y'all that I'm a rookie traveler, I first visited Hong Kong, but was with a travel guide. It was nice. My next stop would be Malaysia, and *points at the title* that's where I'm planning to go

Now, I'm not familiar with hotels there and rentals so I'll need suggestions on this one, budget's around a thousand bucks, would that nail it?

I like it cheap. Oh, and tell me where should I book!

#2 8-24-2017 12:17 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Need an accommodation in Kuala Lumpur

Since public transport is a bit of a problem in KL (LRT lines, Monorail and the free GOKL lines are fine but very limited), the location is very important, that depends on your interrests, personaly i prefere the china town area, around but not in Jalan Petaling (its a very busy night market), for very cheap, Grocer's inn backpackers guesthouse, dorm US$ 5, room from US$ 10. booking.com has a good map overview. Get to this area best with the Star Wira bus, from both terminals to the Mydin Jalan Tun Perak bus stop

#3 8-24-2017 12:22 AM

Altheon_1994
Adriano
Philippines
Couch Potato

Thanks for the heads up!
Actually I got a pal that lives there, I might meet up once I get my bearings.

And yes, those are cheap... like real cheap. I like the sound of it.

#4 8-24-2017 1:35 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Malaysia is in general a bit cheaper then the Philippines, except for beer and other alcohol. In case you need any medicaments, different to the other SE Asian countries you need presciptions for most. Difficult to find in Malaysia DEET containing mosquito repellents (citronella based repellents are quite useless), bring them from the Philippines you will need them in some places.

#5 8-24-2017 9:22 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

For booking hotels or hostels check Agoda  - this really is a good website for Southeast Asian countries.

Their price is slightly cheaper than Booking.com. I use Agoda when travelling in Souteast Asia, their headquarters is in Singapore

Bukit Bintang is the tourist center of the city, you have a huge selection of nice hotels and hostels. All shopping centers are located in this area. Also you are close to Jalan Alor, the popular dining street. The monorail runs through Bukit Bintang, a good place to base in Kuala Lumpur, you can go everywhere by public transport from there.

Prices between KL and Philippines can't be compared. Transportation in KL is expensive than in Manila. Price in Mc Donald is twice higher than in Manila.

Coffee, bottle of water and soft drinks are cheaper in Kuala Lumpur.

Last edited by shavy (8-24-2017 9:28 AM)

#6 8-24-2017 2:33 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer

If shopping is your thing the Bukit Bintang area is a good place to stay, several upmarket malls and a few remaining lower cost malls as well, but at the momenent there is a lot of construction, a new subway line and some older malls being replaced by new ones. Good vegetarian Indian meals you can get for US$ 1, non vegetarian chinese for $2, Mc Donald i don't eat.

#7 8-24-2017 6:28 PM

Altheon_1994
Adriano
Philippines
Couch Potato

Lol, had enough of McDonalds from where I am, anyways
I'm back. So my pal suggested I book for an accommodation using eGetinnz
Now, based on what I've seen, it's pretty much airbnb with a different brand name.

Have you tried this one before? Is this new?

#8 8-24-2017 11:34 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Altheon_1994 wrote:

Now, based on what I've seen, it's pretty much airbnb with a different brand name.

I'm not suggesting to eat in McDo smile just comparing the price, as someone says that Philippines is expensive than Malaysia- is not true. I find Malaysia more expensive than Philippines, depend on things you buy. Shopping in Malaysia is more expensive, but shopping gold at China Town in KL is cheaper than in Philippines

#9 8-24-2017 11:41 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

Altheon_1994 wrote:

I never heard Getinnz
I have no experience with airbnb in Southeast Asia. The accommodations in Southeast Asia is much cheaper than Europe, so I prefer to sleep in a hotel

Before make any booking with airbnb read the reviews. Same like booking a hotel room I always read the review first

#10 8-26-2017 1:46 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

shavy wrote:

Altheon_1994 wrote:

I'm not suggesting to eat in McDo smile just comparing the price, as someone says that Philippines is expensive than Malaysia- is not true. I find Malaysia more expensive than Philippines, depend on things you buy. Shopping in Malaysia is more expensive, but shopping gold at China Town in KL is cheaper than in Philippines

Hahaha I agree with Belinda that you should avoid McDonald's as much as possible when traveling to experience the local vibe. While McDonald's is a safe choice, it's consistently bland in most parts of the world, but I do like experimenting with their specialty burgers or the other meals (like Ayam Goreng McD).

Re accommodation, location and proximity to public transport is also important. What use is getting a sub $20 hotel/hostel if the place is far away and you can only travel by taxi or Uber to most of your destinations?

I particularly like the KL Sentral area - easily accessible from KLIA, and it connects the MRT, monorail and KTM lines as well. Check in the Brickfields area, there should be reasonably priced hotels there.

Never heard of eGetinnz until you brought it up.

#11 9-4-2017 4:17 AM

evil_smiley
Philippines
Couch Potato

I agree with Nolan. Get a hotel in KL Sentral as it's near the MRT station so traveling is easier. There's also a train going directly to KLIA. You can find lots of hotels there for around 1K PHP. Check if there are discounts in Agoda.

#12 9-5-2017 1:28 PM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

KLCC area, Bukit Bintang area or near Masjid Jamek area are found in interesting parts of the city.

Focus on those, in my opinion.

KL is great, but a smelly, dirty city!

Beware of the dengue epidemic (currently spreading in Southeast Asia), which actually seems to spread more than zika. Just precautions, don't mean to scare you.

Board footer