#1 7-19-2017 1:37 AM

tomasjef

What to do in Russia?

Hello everyone! Im planning business travel to Russian Saint Petersburg. What places would you recommend to visit? I don't mean museums and theatre, I like good show, interesting performance etc. Thank for your advice!

#2 9-4-2017 4:16 AM

FilipM80
Warsaw, Poland

Re: What to do in Russia?

Hi everyone! My name is Filip. I'd love to share my story about visiting St. Petersburg.
I am from Warsaw. My friends and I planned a trip to St.Petersburg in August 2016. We were four: three guys and a girl. It was me who initially brought an idea to plan our journey through St. Petersburg and I urged my friends to thumb it up. We took a flight from Warsaw . There's a treasure chest of amazing sites to see and I hope to come back for at least a week next time as we were short of time and failed to see some beautiful palaces and parks in the suburbs. But we did manage to visit Pushkin city named after the great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. There's a lycee where he studied adjoining a magnificent palace. This is truly impressive! The famous Amber room is also situated in the palace. A very rich imperial interior, they say the Catherine palace was being constructed day and night for years.
For as much as I know there are not too many sunny days a year and late August might already be chilly, so it’s not a very good idea to plan a trip on this time.
Luckily we didn’t have a lot of that gloomy stuff but next time I’d better plan a trip for June-July.
St. Petersburg is marvellous, to me it's like a museum in the open with wonderful and intricate architecture almost everywhere (but mostly in the heart of the city). I know the worth of it since I am a designer. You can stroll down Nevsky prospekt and every here and there you come across a gorgeous piece of architecture like Kazan cathedral, Yusupov palace. Any building there itself is a work of art.
We benefited a lot staying at Petr hotel in the very centre not far from the Hermitage with a wonderful view on Admiralty and within walking distance to St.Paul's cathedral, the burial site of Russian monarchs.
It was also a quarters for troopers and a prison for political convicts. We saw these dreadful cells, creepy!
On our way back we noticed an ad on the pavement, it said about walking on the roofs of buildings in the centre. I felt exciting to have a chance to kinda explore this old buildings which seem to be alive.
We called the number in the ad and made an appointment for tomorrow. Back in the hotel after lunch we were itching to hang out and find some decent bar on the evening before tomorrow evening. Here comes a hilarious story! So we asked a guy at the reception and he suggested find O’Hooligans or alike on Konyushennaya.
Well the bar was closed and we were like thinking over our options. We didn’t feel good at navigating so whether we could go back to our hotel or find something around here. It already got darker and the crowd rushing in and out of every corner gradually dissipated. It was getting cold now then. Around the corner a part of a flashing sign came into our view saying Zavist. We thought it was kinda a bar and it actually was. To our surprise it turned out to be a strip bar. Good God! Surely the first thought was to quit as that wasn’t really what we were looking for but since they have a bar too we ordered drinks and made ourselves comfortable. The interior was peculiar and vivid, nice mellow music is what we actually were looking for notwithstanding that nude girls were dancing around, a distracting point. So we split a couple of shot sets and hookah and made our way back to the hotel tipsy but happy.
On our third day in the afternoon we met up with a guy beside Kazansky cathedral. The excursion was good in whole, but sometimes I thought some parts of the roofs we climbed on were so ancient that they might crack off and tumble down. Gosh! Passages are so narrow which a funny idea occurs to mind that people who used to live here were midgets…
Andrew, our guide, introduced us to Olga who is local guide too. For a reasonable amount of money she was eager to show us some authentic city's venues and sights. So I advise everyone coming to the city for the first time or those wanting to visit really authentic places, bars, clubs, historical sites to hire a local guide.
The next day Olga led us to Kamchatka museum. We had told her we were rock fans. This turned out to be a legendary place where popular rock musician Viktor Tsoi worked and played gigs. Now it also a club where rock bands get together to play some old stuff. Unfortunately, we came too early and decided not to wait for the gig.
Looking forward for my next coming to this lovely charming city!

#3 9-5-2017 5:04 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer
Posts: 68

Re: What to do in Russia?

The Hermitage is amazing, but generally the city is beautiful. The night time and the vast bridges are incredible

#4 9-5-2017 6:54 AM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 23

Re: What to do in Russia?

Tomas, please do not miss Oktiabrsky Concert Hall (located at 6 Ligovsky Avenue), website: http://www.bkz.ru/
Follow the ads and find a nice show to your taste. I am sorry to say the website is in Russian.
Call Chief Administrator Tatiana Sitnitslaya  +7 812 275 12 38. e-mail: admin2@bkz.ru

Also, call the Polytechnic University  +7 812 552 76 45 to inquire about the show at their hall. They offer a great sand animation show on October 15, at 12.00.

Or you might like to enjoy the performance of Butterfly Cabaret at Kolomenskaya Theater Center. Call them at +7 812 380 83 72.

#5 9-5-2017 8:09 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

FilipM80 wrote:

Looking forward for my next coming to this lovely charming city!

Move this story in your blog. This is a travel forum

#6 10-12-2017 1:20 AM

ajaykumar124
Ajay
Chandigarh, India

Re: What to do in Russia?

From my opionion , these are the best places to visit in Russia:-

1. Dargavs, the City of the Dead

Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 353

^
From what I understood, he will only travel to St. Petersburg?

#8 10-25-2017 1:11 PM

Geromimo
Posts: 3

Re: What to do in Russia?

There are few the best reasons (according to my Chinese friends):

Beautiful people on the streets. Gorgeous girls, tall and curvy, extremely handsome guys, smiling at you (sometimes, not so often). Every time I come back to my home country from Asia I feel like I'm in a country of top-models. It's actually funny because I personally prefer Asians. You can check for example this group in Russian social media that calls "The most beautiful Russian girls"

2. St Petersburg. This city's historical center and suburb such as Pushkin city are the biggest reasons to visit Russia. Look, I love Moscow, I adore my hometown, clean, small and sweet, but St Petersburg is something you simply must visit (better in summer, and even in summer the weather isn't so nice there).

3. Nature. If you are a fan of hiking and backpacking traveling I recommend plan your Russian trip ahead of time, find some Russian friends who can speak English and go hike with them. Nature in Russia is amazing, you can enjoy fantastic sights.

Board footer