#1 9-3-2017 6:37 AM

Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Charleston, SC - Washington DC in 3 days / Where to stop ?

Hello everyone,

i will travel from Charleston to Washington at the beggining of October and i am looking for cool places to stop - like nice little non-touristy towns / abandoned or semi-abondoned towns or some good natural or historical  sightseeing (p.e. i plan to stop at Mars Bluff atomic bomb impact crater).

I will have app. 3 days for this route, not sure yet if rent a car or travel with train.

Looking forward for some good suggestions, thanks in advance

Peace

#2 9-3-2017 1:00 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 434

Re: Charleston, SC - Washington DC in 3 days / Where to stop ?

i was thinking a train would not be possible, but I guess it is.  The stations that the train apparently can stop at on the way to Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS) are

Alexandria, VA (ALX)
Fredericksburg, VA (FBG)
Richmond, VA - Staples Mill Road (RVR)
Petersburg, VA - Ettrick Station (PTB)
Rocky Mount, NC (RMT)
Dillon, SC (DIL)
Florence, SC (FLO)
Kingstree, SC (KTR)

South Carolina

Kingstree is a very small town north of Lake Moultrie.  Which I never heard of until now.  You would be there so quickly it would almost not be enough time to sit down on the train.

I have never been to Florence SC - it is a larger town and does not look particularly walkable.  It does have a War Between the States Museum

Dillon is a very small down just south of the NC line - not much there although Dillon does have a motor speedway.

North Carolina

Fayetteville - I have stayed overnight in Fayetteville but I did not go into town.  The railroad station is right in town.  They have a Festival Park for various music type events, and the Cape Fear Botanical Garden by the Cape Fear River and also a Cape Fear Museum

Raleigh is a much bigger city (and it is the capitol of NC) and has a convention center and a bunch of museums

I have been to Selma and it is mostly shopping malls and places to buy vaping supplies. When I ask for attractions near Selma, it gives me the Ava Gardner museum, 10 churches a couple of theatres a park and a funeral home.

Wilson is a smaller city (which also has a botanical garden and a bunch of museums), and it has a BBQ place which has been recommended to me although I have not gone there.

We stopped for a night in Rocky Mount on our way home this last trip.  It was a convenient distance from home.

Virginia

Petersburg - Petersburg has a lot of Civil war parks and battlegrounds on the outskirts and I have always thought of stopping there, and never have. The train station is fairly central - there is a Siege Museum and it looks like some interesting places to eat.

Richmond is a nice town with a walkable center - unfortunately the railroad station is too far out of town to walk from there.  We have gotten a rental car place to come and pick us up at the station.  Or you could get a taxi in.  It is the home of Virginia Commonwealth University, and there are several museums and restaurants.

Fredericksburg is another nice college town (Mary Washington) and it is a smaller town.

Alexandria is so close to DC that I wouldn't make that as a stop.

If I were driving, I would not go to any of those places.  From Charleston, I would drive up Rt 17, through the Francis Marion Forest and stop at the little museum in McClellanville - they still have a shrimp fleet and it has many of the live oaks hung with Spanish moss. Next is Georgetown SC.  I have always wanted to visit their Rice Museum but it has never been open when I was there.  Then go to Murrell's Inlet and visit Brookgreen Gardens there.

From there I would go to Wilmington NC (although if you wanted to you could take the ferry from Southport to Bald Head Island as an excursion).  If you didn't go via Wilmington you could take the Fort Fisher ferry from Southport to Fort Fisher (car ferry which is free) and there is a nice museum at Fort Fisher, plus one of the NC aquariums.  From here Route 17 goes to New Bern NC which is the colonial capitol of NC.  You can hear how the original governor's mansion and buildings were destroyed, overbuilt, and then recreated somewhat like Williamsburg, but not as well known.  US 17 goes through Little Washington (i.e. Washington NC and not Washington D.C.) and Edenton which has a historic section of town (this is where the Edenton Tea Party was held).  If you stop over in Elizabeth City NC, you should go down to the docks where the Snowbirds gather on their boats - if there are enough of them at the free docks, they have a Rose Buddy party.  There is also a museum (which has not been open when I've been there).

It is about 3-4 hours drive from Elizabeth City to D.C. so you can stop off at Fort Monroe in Hampton and/or the Mariner's Museum in Newport News.

#3 9-4-2017 2:00 PM

EEEhehehe
Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: Charleston, SC - Washington DC in 3 days / Where to stop ?

RosalieAnn thank you very much for all these information ! Plenty of interesting towns, will have to check a little more and make a selection smile

#4 9-4-2017 5:35 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 434

Re: Charleston, SC - Washington DC in 3 days / Where to stop ?

We have traveled this area quite a bit as we have grandchildren (and a son) who live in Summerville.  So let me know if you have more questions.

Keep in mind that I am old and have been traveling a long time.  So some of my information is current to this year (Selma) and some is older.  I was in Richmond 20 years ago.

Board footer