#1 8-29-2017 8:28 AM

Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

Hello,

I am planning a solo trip to Key Largo over the week of Thanksgiving (Nov 18 - 25) My primary plan is to do a lot of scuba diving, however being that I cannot dive all the time, I am looking for suggestions on what to do when I am not diving, like in the evenings. Anything that would be relaxing, enjoying drinks, and giving me the chance to meet locals or other travelers would be great. I do also have a full day of no diving to drive out to Key West to see the sights, so any advice for that portion of the trip would be great too. Thanks

#2 8-29-2017 9:50 AM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

I've never spent any time on Key Largo, so I don't know personally what there is to do in the evenings there.  I know a lot of places to eat in Marathon, but your probably won't want to stop there.  If you do, Key's Fisheries is a good place (this is on the Gulf side off the highway a couple of blocks and is not the same as Island Fisheries) If your trip to KW is on Saturday, you might stop at the Big Pine Key flea market.  Also there's a nice state park on Bahia Honda.

There's going to be a lot of tourist activity in this time frame in Key West. We had brunch in Blue Heaven and it was very busy and we had to wait a long time. One of my SIL's favorite places is Peppers of Key West (which is not a restaurant or a bar).  We also liked the Turtle Kraals Restaurant.  I think the Conch Train is a good idea to get acquainted.  And of course the sunset celebration at Mallory Square.  A lot of the stuff in Key West is touristy, but still fun.

#3 8-29-2017 9:52 AM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

Try the Dry Tortugas National Park out of Key West. Go fishing with the Yankee captain. Key West is probably worth a day on Duval street but the perimeter of the island is all chain motels and just tourist trappy as hell

#4 8-29-2017 1:58 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

There are fishing charters all over the Keys - I think it would be a waste of time to go fishing in KW. I didn't suggest the Dry Tortugas as something to do on a day trip to KW because the Dry Tortugas is a full day trip unless you fly (float plane). The flight is really neat, but my husband Bob didn't want to do it (even though or maybe especially because he is a pilot and thought it was too dangerous) and when I did it without him, I had to come back on the boat because the plane was having oil pressure problems, so Bob got to say "I told you so".  But it was a great trip, and they refunded my money so it didn't even cost anything.  Still - it is a full day.
If forts are your thing, you can visit Fort Taylor (which is a state park and has probably the best beach in KW that isn't on the Navy base), or the East Martello tower, which is a museum and has some of the weird stuff that happened in KW.  West Martello tower is run by the garden club for a donation.  The other interesting place (other than Hemingway's House with the 6 toed cats, which was really his wife Pauline's place - 2nd wife I think) is the Wrecker's Museum which is in the oldest house on KW.

There are some things which I think are tourist traps (I include Harry Truman Whitehouse and Mel Fisher's Museum in that category).  Restaurants sometimes go out of business (Finnegan's Wake is no longer there).

#5 8-30-2017 4:37 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

I recommend the Yankee Captain because I know them and they're good people. He offered trips of add air to up to several days I'm going to guess that the oper can figure out if he has any interest in fishing or no. The Dry Tortugas are a great place to go snorkeling and I think they dive out there but it's also a great place to camp.

#6 8-30-2017 5:26 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

There are lots of good places to snorkel or dive in the Keys.  There are also many places where you can get fishing charters.  There are head boats that go out of Marathon for instance.  We visited Fort Jefferson for a couple of days on our boat and that was lovely, but I wouldn't like to actually camp there.  I know people do it, but you have to bring everything with you on the boat and take everything back out with you.  My son-in-law goes down there sometimes to fish - he has a power boat and he had to take an extra drum of fuel with him as there's none there.

#7 8-30-2017 11:40 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

I guess if we're going to be on repetitious Albion repetitious too. I recommend the book fishing charter I did because I know the guys in there reputable. If you know a reputable fishing charter go ahead and recommend it. I can't imagine panning camping at a national park I have to wonder what goes through somebody's head when they do that.

#8 9-1-2017 8:24 AM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

Some people like camping and some do not.  Moreover it would be a logistical nightmare. It would require the OP to have brought all his camping gear with him from wherever he lives to Key Largo - in addition to the scuba gear which in itself is bulky.  Recommending camping for the OP is just not sensible.  Especially since he has only one day to tour Key West.  A camping trip to Fort Jefferson would have to be at least two days.

As for fishing - what is someone who is on a diving trip to a remote location (far from where he lives) going to do with fish if he catches them?  I know my son-in-law has a boat down somewhere near there and he both fishes and dives, but he lives there in the Miami area and he cleans and cooks his own fish when he catches them.

#9 9-1-2017 11:46 AM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

they will do what every other person that comes to Florida from all over the world to fish does.  The OPer would do what people from Italy or the UK or S. Africa or Russia do when they go to Florida and catch fish.

Should camping on the Dry Tortugas appeal one would change their plans.  Plans can be changed you know.  This travel thing is really not as hard as you want to make it.

Last edited by katzgar (9-1-2017 11:49 AM)

#10 9-2-2017 7:14 AM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

If someone asks for advice, then advice should be given on the topic for which advice was asked.  It is not helpful to tell people to change their plans because they don't have enough time allotted for some activity on a section of the trip when they have expressed no interest in going there or doing that activity.  One time, one can suggest that someone might like to do something extra, but don't insist.

Scuba divers are often more interested in seeing fish than in catching them.  Fishermen come to the Keys to fish.  Divers come to the keys to dive.  It is possible that a diver might use an interval between dives to fish, but I've not seen that done as usually diving and fishing should not (for safety reasons) be done in the same place.

And I keep telling myself not to argue with you because while I enjoy it, the OPs are probably annoyed by all the non-answers.

#11 9-2-2017 4:46 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

your assertion that I told anyone to change their plans is a lie.  Suggest checking with your SIL spear fishing is very popular down there.  I ran a bait shop in Ft Lauderdale for close to 3 years so have actual intimate knowledge of the situation which you clearly dont.  Here is some info on key west spear fishing so you can know what you are talking about.  Lionfish spearing is very popular now. http://deep-blue-water.net/key-west-spe … g-charters   here is more key west spear fishing info   http://www.thefloridalivingmagazine.com … hing-keys/   some more on spearfishing.    http://www.fla-keys.com/news/article/8919/

Last edited by katzgar (9-2-2017 4:49 PM)

#12 9-2-2017 5:08 PM

Re: Planning Solo Trip to Key Largo

another idea is an overnight to Freeport  Grand Bahama.    http://www.directferries.com/fort_laude … _ferry.htm   and take the ferry back the next day after having a classic sardines over grits breakfast

Board footer