#1 8-27-2017 8:18 PM

Where should I move?

Hi all, new here.

I come from Quebec, Canada. I've never travelled in my entire life and I'm 22. I've only been to Cuba twice and North Carolina, USA once.

It's been bothering me for the past few months that I don't feel at home here. I don't really have anything in common with my family and this province as a whole.

I want to move out but I don't want to regret it. I've got a few pointers for what I look for and was hoping that travellers could help me find my dream home.

- Food is not an issue, I can adapt easily
- Culture is important to me and I want to feel safe where I live
- Rocky terrains & mountains are environments I look for, although beaches and oceans are also a plus
- I'm sort of intrigued by the Japanese culture and their high interest in technology
- A big city nearby (1-3 hour drive max)
- A place where electronic music is accepted (it's my job)
- A place where humour is abundent and overall happiness of the population is high
- A place that isn't too expensive to live
- Preffered language: English (but that doesn't stop me from learning a new language)

Hopefully these are enough to give you an idea! It is in my plans to try a few countries out before choosing a final destination.

Thanks for the help!

#3 8-27-2017 8:49 PM

Travelnik
Posts: 8

Re: Where should I move?

Vacationing & Living in a different country are different spectrums. I suggest spending at least a month as a tourist in the country you think may become your new home.

Last edited by Travelnik (8-27-2017 8:49 PM)

#4 8-27-2017 9:25 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 460

Travelnik wrote:

I agree with this.  Although I would get an apartment on a short term lease.

I don't know about electronic music, but I was thinking San Franciso - except it is so expensive.

#5 8-27-2017 9:30 PM

Travelnik wrote:

Totally agree with you on this one.

#6 8-27-2017 9:32 PM

BellaAbroad wrote:

Germany

Germany does sound interesting. Always wanted to visit!

#7 8-27-2017 10:24 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: Where should I move?

I 'd very much starting researching where Canadian electronic musicians can get visas to work and base my choices on that. Almost everywhere is tightening up thrir entry requirements, so there's no point fixing your dreams on a country you can't legally work in. Are there Internet forums in your industry that discuss where people have worked/can work?

#8 8-27-2017 10:52 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: Where should I move?

I agree to the last post. First check the visa requirements in a country if you are eligible to work. Australia is certainly a place for working visa if you are younger than 31 years old, you can apply the working visa for one year

#9 8-27-2017 11:47 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 266

Re: Where should I move?

I agree with the others: test the waters first. There are one-year working holiday visas for Canadians in Germany, too, so if you are interested in my country, check that out.

#10 8-28-2017 12:15 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1978

Re: Where should I move?

Like other has mention, narrow down the country you want to stay and live. Please bear in mind, it does not mean one country good for other is best for you.  You will need to find the place which is good for you.

If it was me I would visit the country for a holiday first to get a feeling of it, and then find out how to be able to stay there.

To move out from your own country and live in another land is a big step, and sometimes not as straight forward.  Find out all you need to do from the embassy of the country of your destination.  alternatively you can find a job through internet before you move out so you can be secure and not worry about money.

Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.

You need to find out what make you unhappy or not feeling home at all before make a big decision.  Good luck.

#11 8-28-2017 1:14 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Where should I move?

Berlin is big for electronic music. So there is another for Germany. As for everyone being happy....hmmm. I lived in Japan for 6 years. love it but the depression rate is high. Suicides are high.  Plenty of mountains but rules rules rules. You definitely have to adapt but Tokyo is great for various kinds of electronic music. Being a house head myself I experienced it. If you were to be in the states the main cities for us electronic music folks (and I mean various types not just EDM as espoused through pop tuned like Guetta et al...) would be New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Detroit. Atlanta has a great growing scene as well. As a friend and supporter of DJs for over 25 years these are the most consistent places for electronic sounds overall. Small other pockets here and there.
If you are in Germany you have access to many other European cities where the sound is strong like Amsterdam, and London.

Last edited by Sept922 (8-29-2017 2:36 AM)

#12 8-28-2017 1:32 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17616

Re: Where should I move?

Agree that living somewhere is different than just visiting on holiday. Also try a short stay before committing yourself.

As Sarah Elaine says visa could be issue. TEFLing could be an option if English is your mother tongue. Or even if French is your mother tongue and speak English fluently.  Japan and Korea offer many opportunities depending on your qualifications. Other countries too.

Working holiday visas other possibilities.

Berlin for electronic music but is long way from rocky terrain and mountains and from beach. Germany has many other places but those near mountains are far from beach and vice versa. Amsterdam for electronic music, close to beach but far from mountains.

Dublin could be a possibility. Not sure how big the electronic music scene is but I'm sure there's some and offers the rest of what you want.

#13 8-28-2017 4:45 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3298

Re: Where should I move?

Just move out west in Canada.

#14 8-28-2017 5:07 AM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 23

Re: Where should I move?

Lviv would be a good option as well.
Food is not an issue, you will enjoy the traditional Ukrainian dishes.
- Culture: you will feel safe and enjoy numerous museums, festivals and concerts.
- Rocky terrains & mountains are available in the Carpathian area nearby.
- Japanese culture and technology can be seen in Lviv as well: Days of Japanese Culture in June, Ikido Union, Japanese engravings exhibition at the National Museum, Japanese autumn Festival in September, Iriental Culture Museum at Zolochiv Castle, numerous Japanese restaurants. The city even has Japanese Street...
- It's a place where electronic music is accepted.
- Lviv is a place where humour is abundant and overall happiness of the population is high.
- Lviv is a place that isn't too expensive for you to live.
- Preffered language: Ukrainian, but people at all institutions speak some English as well (but you can join a Ukrainian language course).
You are welcome!smile

Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 134

Re: Where should I move?

I am going to suggest Anchorage. It has the mountains around you want. There is water close by. And there is a high population from Japan as well as it being close to Japan. As for humor, it has to be good there. They actually say the odds for women to find a man are good, but the goods are odd.

#16 8-29-2017 9:59 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 297

Re: Where should I move?

New Orleans. Eventful.com.  Unfortunately there isn't a lot of Rocky terrain in the area. You would have to go up to the Ozarks for that.

Last edited by katzgar (8-29-2017 1:59 PM)

#17 8-29-2017 12:26 PM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer
Posts: 58

Re: Where should I move?

Have a look at Georgia (the country not the state). Not an obvious choice maybe, but it does tick a few of your boxes.

Canadians, like many nationalities, can stay in the country for up to a year without a visa...working there would be different, but you could stay for a while, decide if it is the place for you, then look into the work permit situation.

As others have suggested, TEFL teaching is likely to be the main job available in countries where English isn't the main language. Georgia is no exception, and has a lot of different programmes placing English teachers in local schools, both paid and as a volunteer (google "teach english georgia". A qualification in TEFL would be incredibly useful wherever you end up going, even if it isn't your career of choice, as there's always a demand for qualified English teachers.

Electronic music is quite big in Georgia, and there's an electronic music festival every year on the Black Sea coast: https://gemfestival.com/about

Georgia has spectacular mountains within an hour or two of the capital Tbilisi, and there's also the beaches on the Black Sea coast.

The main language is Georgian (not an easy language to learn - trust me, I spent my summer trying!), but tourism is growing there along with the number of English speakers, so the language shouldn't be too much of an obstacle in Tbilisi and the popular tourist spots.

The cost of living is much lower than in my country (UK), so that probably goes for Canada too. Georgia is also more accessible than it used to be, with more and more flights to European and Middle Eastern cities starting, including some budget airlines.

Culture - tick
Safety - tick
Humour - tick
Food - a thousand ticks

#18 8-29-2017 4:21 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1971

Vancouver.

-Close to rocky terrains
-Lots of Japanese students /WHV holders are living so close to Japanese culture
-You don't need a visa to work
-English is spoken (and you will easily find someone to teach you some other Asian languages including Japanese.)

#19 9-2-2017 12:28 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 164

Re: Where should I move?

I realise that it does not meet all your requirements but have you considered Malta?  I spent a month there a couple of years ago and loved it, so let's go through your points.

- Food is not an issue, I can adapt easily

There is an immense range of cuisines on offer so no problem there.

- Culture is important to me and I want to feel safe where I live

Malta is so rich in culture it is untrue and it is extremely safe to live there.

You might struggle for mountains and rocky terrain but there are beaches aplenty.

This is an odd one.  I did not find any sort of expat Japanese community there but there are so many foreign students there, a good proportion of which are Asian that you may well be able to hook up with some of them.

- A big city nearby (1-3 hour drive max)

Valletta, the capital, is not a big city but there is certainly everything you need there and because the island is so small it is not more than three hours from anywhere else.

- A place where electronic music is accepted (it's my job)

I'm not into electronic music (I am far too old!) but on a few walks down the nightclub street in St. Julian they seemed to be offering just about every form of music I don't even pretend to understand!

The Maltese are an immensely friendly and hospitable people and humour is certainly not in short supply.

- A place that isn't too expensive to live

I don't know about where you live now but I spend a fair bit of time in Canada, mostly in Ab. but I have toured the Maritimes as well and I can tell you that Malta is not exactly cheap but it will undoubtedly be cheaper than what you are used to.  I am from UK and I find Canada Hellish expensive!

Because of the long associations with the UK and now the tourist trade, English is very widely spoken so no problem there.

I know this might seem like a bit of a wild idea but it might just be something to think about and I hope it assists.

#20 11-30-2017 10:13 AM

ryanltzw
Leo
Singapore
Posts: 12

Travelnik wrote:

I agree with this as well! It's 2 different things to be a tourist (no matter how much you enjoyed their culture) and living there. Past the facade of being emersed in a country's culture, you start to face the real culture of everyday life and it may not be something you can get used to. I do suggest at least maybe renting a place and trying to live there for a month before deciding. Also, are you considering Asia or somewhere else?

#21 11-30-2017 4:44 PM

martinky
Kyle
Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2

Re: Where should I move?

OP, are you definitely thinking overseas or would you consider staying in North America?

#22 12-1-2017 12:36 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Posts: 266

Re: Where should I move?

The OP has not returned for 3 months, so I do not think we will ever hear from him/her again.

#23 12-4-2017 6:03 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1350

kvom wrote:

Just move out west in Canada.

I agree with Kvom, start with moving within Canada then start travelling the other options mentioned here
If you decide to move away from Canada make sure you spend some time there before desiding and check out the posibilities for work (visa and other requirements) where you're going to live and things like that
It's so easy to say:"I'm leaving" but actually leaving can be completely different from your expectations

#24 12-4-2017 2:20 PM