#26 7-12-2017 2:59 AM

Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 167

zschachwitz wrote:

I agree about Goodbye Lenin.   Some while ago I also saw Go Trabi Go, about a family from Bitterfeld who drove their tried and trusted Trabi to Rome, (I think).   I went through Bitterfeld a month ago, but by train rather than by car, and it looks a cleaner brighter place than it would have been 30 years ago

There's just something about Trabis, isn't there?  Although I think that they're surrounded by a great deal of Ostalgie, and I suspect that venturing out on a sleety February morning in a Trabi might not have been much fun ... smile

#27 8-8-2017 2:16 AM

MarionPQ
Marion
United Kingdom
Posts: 3

Re: Foreign Movies

I can recommend a movie Manila (about life of a usual family in Manila city). Quite hard drama, but very touching.

#28 8-10-2017 11:46 AM

Arizona, United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

MarionPQ wrote:

Thanks, I will check it out.

#29 8-10-2017 2:53 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 6054

Re: Foreign Movies

Maybe it's very rough and a little bit vulgar at some moments. This is my favourite Dutch movie about 5 guys coming from a small village (about 5km from where I live).
I searched for the trailer with English subtitles.
The movie is called New Kids Turbo.

It was made after they did many short sketches before.

#30 8-11-2017 12:24 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1367

Re: Foreign Movies

Promoting New Kids, brilliant Paul! But seriously: it's funny with a high ammount of whats called in Dutch: onderbroekenlol (really don't know how to translate that)

I watched 'the invisible guest' (Contratiempo) yesterday, it's a really nice Spanish Crime Thriller.
Keeps you guessing what really happened till right at the end ..

#31 8-13-2017 5:17 AM

Paulovic
Globetrotter
Posts: 6054

stefmuts wrote:

Extra nice that it's it accent we talk at home as well. A bit exaggerated of course.

#32 8-24-2017 7:58 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 186

Re: Foreign Movies

Mr. Vampire (1985) (Hong Kong)
I like English sub original dialog the best.

Mr. Vampire is 1 part Cantonese version of Vampire, 1 part comedy slapstick and 1 part Kung Fu movie.
fwrj5Bk62Q4

#33 11-2-2017 2:59 PM

laurabry
Toronto, Canada
Posts: 23

Re: Foreign Movies

I love Spanish movies. For example, The skin I live in...

#34 11-28-2017 12:26 PM

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

Mr. Vampire (1985) (Hong Kong)
I like English sub original dialog the best.

fwrj5Bk62Q4

I own that along with two of the sequels, a fun set of movies.

#35 12-5-2017 12:38 AM

Martin
Ohio, United States
Posts: 25

Re: Foreign Movies

I'm a big horror movie fan. So I like to watch any horror movies by searching on the net. No matter from which country they are. I watch them using subtitles.
Here are some foreign movies that I enjoyed the most:
• Goodnight Mommy (Austria)
• The Orphanage (Spain)

Jakob
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Posts: 1

Re: Foreign Movies

I suggest a movie called Circus Fantasticus. It's Slovenian film, but there's no talking, but still a very lovely film.

#38 2-3-2018 12:41 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Foreign Movies

Never been a fan of foreign films that require subtitles for me to read. I want a film that I can hear the lines AND enjoy seeing the "scenery of the scene" being shone all at the same time. My eyes like checking everything out all at once.

#39 2-8-2018 11:31 PM

JenniferSimmons
Mission
Benin
Posts: 4

Re: Foreign Movies

Thanks for sharing the list of foreign movies. I will surely watch these movies, whenever I get time.

#40 2-13-2018 10:35 AM

maykal wrote:

We have a weekly showing of a Middle Eastern film, usually in Arabic or Persian to try and give our students a bit of language practice and introduce something about the culture, but we also sometimes show films in Kurdish and Turkish too. Some of the popular ones we've shown have been:

Omar (Palestine)
Paradise Now (Palestine)
Lamma Shuftak (Palestine)
West Beirut (Lebanon)
Caramel (Lebanon)
Under The Bombs (Lebanon)
Theeb (Jordan)
A Separation (Iran)
Blackboards (Iran)
Ten (Iran)
Three Monkeys (Turkey)
Wadjda (Saudi Arabia)
Rachida (Algeria)
Harragas (Algeria)
Bab El-Oued City (Algeria)

One I saw recently but haven't yet shown is The First Movie (Iraq), about kids in a Kurdish village who are given cameras and sent off to make their own films about anything they liked.

Have you watched "Wedding in Galilee"?  It has Arabic, Turkish, and Hebrew dialogue.  Good movie too.  The latest Palestinian movie I watched was "Salt of This Sea".

#41 2-13-2018 10:37 AM

Re: Foreign Movies

Last week I binged on Norwegian movies, watching seven in a row.

Board footer